Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wannabe Artifact  (Read 2772 times)

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wannabe Artifact
« on: April 27, 2010, 12:51:14 am »

So, I go to trade something to the humans and I notice "Hey, that value is pretty high compared to all the other crafts (which were around 20-40 because most of the stuff was junk). I know, I should see what makes this thing so valuable."

It did explain *what* it was that my gemsetter was encrusting with gems all this time though. That's the first craft I've seen that actually was encrusted with gems despite having him encrusting for months. Apparently someone just left this next to his workshop and he kept encrusting it again and again.

Really though, the artwork alone is awesome to begin with, mainly because that's detailing an event from the same fortress which I didn't even find out about until months later when I looked at my animals list and was all like "Why is that stray dog named?". Then the gemsetter decided that it needed 4 different gems encrusted on it. That one craft beats several of the artifacts I've had made in prior fortresses (and it beats the single wooden one I've had in this one).

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: Wannabe Artifact
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 12:55:46 am »

At least you can sell it.

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:57:39 am »

Yeah, but I know if I didn't sell it then that gemsetter would seek it out and start encrusting even more gems on it. Took a look through my stocks and found 2 other items that he's done this same thing to. Apparently he refuses to work on multiple items instead preferring to just stick to the same item.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 01:00:44 am »

Do you want to fix this behavior or let him be?

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:03:29 am »

Well, looks like I lost the choice. He just became possessed.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 01:07:12 am »

It's only an olivine statue encrusted with 4 gems. That's nothing.

I recently sold a platinum scepter encrusted with: ruby, sapphire, emerald, indigo tourmaline, black diamond, green diamond, blue diamond, yellow diamond, red diamond, clear diamond, faint yellow diamond, light yellow diamond, clear zircon,star sapphire, star ruby, black opal, demantoid, blue garnet, and tsavorite. I think it had some other gems too, but those are the ones I still have stockpiled and know that I used. It was also decorated with gold, steel, and aluminum. I can't remember the value, but it was obscene - it bought out the entire dwarven caravan and left them with a massive profit to boot.

The funny part is the dwarven caravan was carrying a load of the same gems I encrusted the scepter with, in addition to aluminum and platinum bars - so in the trade I gained enough material to make another one and have stuff left over.

If you want them to encrust multiple items you have to use different gems. They'll happily encrust one item with 50 different gems if you tell them to work on a variety of gems.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Shardok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 01:17:58 am »

That's just obscene... Of course it makes sense, they grab whatever item is closest, which will inevitably be whatever item they worked with last.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:36:57 am »

That's just obscene... Of course it makes sense, they grab whatever item is closest, which will inevitably be whatever item they worked with last.

This. This mechanism is why I rarely make shitloads of stone crafts anymore. I can generally get a gem craft at random and encrust it with everything under the sun. Or I use metal crafts when I just need to get rid of all this FUCKING GOLD.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 02:02:56 am »

This. This mechanism is why I rarely make shitloads of stone crafts anymore. I can generally get a gem craft at random and encrust it with everything under the sun. Or I use metal crafts when I just need to get rid of all this FUCKING GOLD.

Why go to all that trouble of melting it first? Just make the crafts directly out of the gold nuggets and then decorate them with gems. That or use the gold for mechanisms as even a no quality gold mechanism is still worth 900 dwarfmoleons.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 02:06:32 am »

Haha, normally I have nobles beds so encrusted with gems, there is more shiny then wood.

Quantum encrusting is fun!

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 03:27:20 am »

Yeah, it's fun indeed.

The first time I encountered this I had requested every type of gem available from the caravan and bought them all.
Then unleashed my get setter.

When the next caravan arrived and I began trading I was at first puzzled why all the rock crafts seemed to be unencrusted - and then noticed there was one very expensive goblet. With a description over a page long.
Must have been quite a sight :D
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:20:02 am »

I also build few items, but I decorate everything. Bone is amazing for decoration! Each type of bone is unique, so you can have something decorated with cat, dog, horse, mule, donkey, bear, warthog, deer, elf, human, goblin, kobold, crocodile, cave crocodile, troll, elkbird, and hoary marmot bone. All at the same time.  :D

Thats a lot of bling. I aim for each item, particularly armor and weapons, to have a full page of decorations.

You can also decorate something once with each type of metal and each type of gem, meaning its quite possible to have 30-40 decorations on a single item without trying all that hard.

Yes, you can produce Planepacked!

Be sure to import exotic materials and you can keep on decorating it.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 11:52:51 am »

Well each encrusted material must be unique.  Also if it is a cloth item, you can sew images on it.  The best was when you could sometimes get sentient specie's skin from the old HFS.  Make a leather craft out of it and then encrust it with everything known to dwarf.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 11:56:08 am »

Leather crafts aren't worth all that much.

You'd probably want to start out with a valuable material and then make a valuable item out of it, like a mechanism or a statue. Then decorate the hell out of that one item. Once its all decorated you can put it in a room for dwarves to admire.

You lose the ability to sew an image onto it, so you lose one decoration, but the base value is far higher.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 12:22:25 pm »

Who cares.  I wanna encrust elf leather with everything object known to dwarfkind.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: [1] 2