Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Poisoned weapons?  (Read 2861 times)

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poisoned weapons?
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:53:24 am »

I have an idea for how poisoned weapons could be modded into the game, but I'm not 100% sure on the specifics.
Basically, you create a new type of metal that causes a syndrome when it enters the blood, and its made by reacting say iron or steel with another material, like venom or a plant. That way, you can make weapons and ammo out of this new metal, which is like iron or steel except when you get hit by it, you're poisoned.

Is that possible? it seems to be, based on what the wiki said about inorganic syndromes.
How exactly would that be done?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Poisoned weapons?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:58:25 am »

Attaching syndromes to the metal won't work, since stabbing a creature with a metal object doesn't actually make the metal enter their blood.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:46:04 am »

all you need to do is coat the weapon with some thing that has a contact syndrome.
blood is easy to do.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 09:19:19 pm »

make the metal boil at body temp and make the syndrome activate when inhaled (you need to make your dwarves wear nether-cap gauntlets or something like that so that they don't kill themselves by picking up the bolts)

Dral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 09:31:52 am »

make the metal boil at body temp and make the syndrome activate when inhaled (you need to make your dwarves wear nether-cap gauntlets or something like that so that they don't kill themselves by picking up the bolts)

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but what would stop these bolts from boiling when handled by dwarves?

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:58:58 am »

I'm no modder, but i think the best thing would be a modded domestic animal or something like it that have contact poison as blood, so the only thing you needed to do is stab it and you got yourself a poison coated weapon.
I don't remember exactly, but once when adventuring, i got myself splattered with poison and it got on my short sword, every time i slashed any critter, it would give the "looks sick" message, even when i slashed it on places that normally wouldn't (legs and arms).
Hope it helps

PS: Thinking again, how about a poison well? I think it'd be easier to mod ppl to clean themselves there, the risk would be to poison the dorfs by drinking

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:49:54 am »

shame you can't have a inorganic mat use a [SECREATION] tag, which would totally blow my mind due to my crude block bloodstone walls oozing deadly poison...

EDIT: to bad that when a creature dies its parts no longer secreate, because if they still did I'd create a [DOES_NOT_EXSIST] creature that its bone is as hard as steel and as sharp and also leaks poison
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:52:00 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:23 pm »

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but what would stop these bolts from boiling when handled by dwarves?
nether caps are GREAT insulation, someone in another thread said nether cap gauntlets prevent the boiling, and can possibly lower damage from magma!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:12:40 pm »

nether caps are GREAT insulation, someone in another thread said nether cap gauntlets prevent the boiling, and can possibly lower damage from magma!

I believe this is due to Nethercaps having a fixed temperature of 10,000U. Always.

Dral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 03:09:31 pm »

I believe this is due to Nethercaps having a fixed temperature of 10,000U. Always.

Ah, so they maintain that temperature by magically destroying/generating thermal energy? Hmm, useful until frostbite is implemented. Thanks.