Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wannabe Artifact  (Read 2757 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Wannabe Artifact
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 12:42:04 pm »

Leather crafts aren't worth all that much.

It depends on the beast the leather is made from. Hoary Marmot Leather crafts aren't worth much. Giant Cave Spider Chitin crafts are, though it's not worth as much as GSC Silk(Then again, what is... A skilled clothier can make GSC items that are more valuable than anything sans HFS).  Of course, I think GSC Chitin is bugged and thus unavailable in 0.31.03, so it's a moot point.

You'd probably want to start out with a valuable material and then make a valuable item out of it, like a mechanism or a statue. Then decorate the hell out of that one item. Once its all decorated you can put it in a room for dwarves to admire.

You lose the ability to sew an image onto it, so you lose one decoration, but the base value is far higher.

Not sure if it is a bug or not, but Serrated Disks and another trap component... Spiked Balls I think, are worth obscene amounts in the new version. They have a 128 multiplier, compared to furniture & craft's 10, statue's 25 or mechanism's 30. I don't think you can encrust them with gems, but you can stud them with metal at a forge. Layer a steel disc with gold, platinum, aluminum and you will have one extremely valuable object.... Even no-quality would be worth 17,920☼, while masterwork would be 215,040☼!

Too bad you can't make GSC Silk Serrated Disks...
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 12:47:54 pm »

You can make metal mechanisms at the forge. You cannot do it with the job manager but you can do it manually. Go to the forge, then trap components, then the metal type, and then select mechanisms.

Be sure to first train up your mechanic using junk stone.

Masterwork adamantine mechanism!  :D

Then decorate the hell out of it.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 02:20:41 pm »

...A skilled clothier can make GSC items that are more valuable than anything sans HFS)...

...Too bad you can't make GSC Silk Serrated Disks...

Unless GSC is something special (I assume you mean Giant Cave Spider), you're mistaken. The GCS silk isn't that valuable anymore. Platinum and aluminum amulets are worth 400, steel and gold are worth 300. GCS amulets are only worth 40. So even if you could make GCS silk serrated disks, you'd be better off with steel.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 04:18:01 pm »

Screw artifacts. You can actually quantum decorate generic items.

Here is an example of massive bone-decoration:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2]