Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Recycling!  (Read 1617 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Dwarven Recycling!
« on: April 27, 2010, 06:35:25 pm »

I have 239 caged creatures and I'm running out of cages.  So, I got the idea to start recycling cages.
what's the most efficient way to empty them if they run off when I try and haul them.
magma is readily accessible, but like I said, I would like to use the cages a second time.
I have a limited amount of mechanisms, so I could probably accomplish most small projects for recycling.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Recycling!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:00 pm »

Build a restraint using a chain or rope (b =>v).

Assign a caged creature to it.

This is, however, fairly dangerous if you have dangerous creatures, but you can have your military kill the chained up guys if you want.

Or, you can build the cage in a sealed arena, connect it to a lever, and then pull it, which will empty the cage of whatever is inside.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 06:59:20 pm »

Build a restraint using a chain or rope (b =>v).

Assign a caged creature to it.

This is, however, fairly dangerous if you have dangerous creatures, but you can have your military kill the chained up guys if you want.

Or, you can build the cage in a sealed arena, connect it to a lever, and then pull it, which will empty the cage of whatever is inside.
yea, I didn't even count the tame creatures, they all just escape immediately if I try and move them.  as for the room, there are two problems.  1, then the creature is released around the cage, which I can easily just drop some military in, but (2) it's not the fastest way ever and (being in a terrifying biome with all three caverns open) I will probably end up still capturing more then I can replenish my cages.

EDIT: so, there is an amethyst monster without any limbs (presumably) rolling around my fortress.  what happens to unbuilt cages when I return?  and will the beast still be here?  I'm wondering whether or not I should pull the flood with magma switch.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:05:31 pm by ISGC »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:08:05 pm »

With 40d, I liked to make a little box of fortifications, with a rising bridge somewhere along the edge to provide access. I'd put all my filled cages in the room, link them up to a lever, close the room (raise the bridge, that is), and pull the cage lever, letting the creatures free. I'd station whatever marksdwarves I was training at the time outside of the box and let them get some quality 'training' time in, by filling the contents of said box with bolts.

When everything was dead, the bridge got let back down, the butchers came in, and all was clean and happy again.

It's not terribly efficient in terms of player-time, though, unless you've got high skilled mechanics to deal with the lever/cage connections. On the flip side, a sufficiently large box of such nature can deal with however many cages you feel like, simultaneously.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:28:19 pm »

With 40d, I liked to make a little box of fortifications, with a rising bridge somewhere along the edge to provide access. I'd put all my filled cages in the room, link them up to a lever, close the room (raise the bridge, that is), and pull the cage lever, letting the creatures free. I'd station whatever marksdwarves I was training at the time outside of the box and let them get some quality 'training' time in, by filling the contents of said box with bolts.

When everything was dead, the bridge got let back down, the butchers came in, and all was clean and happy again.

It's not terribly efficient in terms of player-time, though, unless you've got high skilled mechanics to deal with the lever/cage connections. On the flip side, a sufficiently large box of such nature can deal with however many cages you feel like, simultaneously.
aside from marksmanship's supposed inneffectiveness, the same problem still remains, I would gain more caged creatures then I could get rid of them

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:07:37 pm »

I assume butchery won't work? Probably has the same escape mechanics as chaining, though.
But, putting the cage stockpile inside a walled-off area with access to the butcher's shop and some cage traps to prevent escape could help with those creatures that tend to get away.

Dwarves will haul cages around, so you could designate a main animal stockpile and a single-tile animal stockpile by the place you're hoping to release the critter. Set the small stockpile to take from the big stockpile, and the whole cage will be hauled to near the destination, where you can have defenses ready.

It'd take a bit of micromanagement with the amount of forbidding to do, but it should work out.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:32 pm »

aside from marksmanship's supposed inneffectiveness, the same problem still remains, I would gain more caged creatures then I could get rid of them

Well, what did you expect, waiting so long to deal with your backlog of over 200 cages full of nasty wossnames?  @_@  The sheer number of cages you've built to have that many full with their replacements out there already to catch more beasties... gah.

Yeah, my vote goes to building an arena to unleash them all in and have them kill one another off before having magma sanitize the place for the next batch.

Or if you want to have a lot of fun
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:53 pm »

If you've got caverns opened up, dig a long channel through the ceiling of one of them, like this:

Code: [Select]
DDD
DHD
DHD
DHD
DHD
DHD
DDD

D = Dig
H = Channel

Designate the entire thing as a Pit area.  Build all the cages around the channel.

Once all the cages are in place, designate all the creatures in them to be Pitted.  Dwarves run in, throw everything in the channel, splat!

Only snatchers and thieves can escape in the short time it takes the dwarf to chuck the creature in the pit.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 08:45:23 pm »

1. Dig a channel all the way down to the magma sea.
2. Designate it as a pit.
3. Order the animals hauled, still in cages, over to the pit area.
4. Pit them.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 08:47:54 pm »

1. Dig a channel all the way down to the magma sea.
2. Designate it as a pit.
3. Order the animals hauled, still in cages, over to the pit area.
4. Pit them.
I favor mine because you can build a couple sets of butchers/tanneries and get a lot of product out of the...pieces.

Bonus points for using magma though  :P
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

liadis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 09:00:41 pm »

Instead of recycling those cages you should build cage traps with them, release by a single lever, in a room wher gremlins have to pass to get to your fortress. Anti-gremlin trap.

Of course, you have to clean up AFTER the gremlin gets ripped to pieces, or maybe even have FUN while doing it. Small price to pay, I say! Anti-gremlin trap, coming near your local dorf store.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 10:10:33 pm »

You can build cages. You can haul their residents to a pit or another cage. And you can attach levers to cages. None of those are very fast so the solution is fewer cage traps. Kill things outright if you can't process them fast enough. Maybe make some raising bridges instead or put up with the squalor of less that ten entrance points to your fort.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 03:06:36 pm »

so, the amethyst forgotten beast wouldn't die and, after building all the cage traps in a single room and walling it off, I flooded the fort with magma and then abandoned.  Upon reclaim, I found the creatures had been slain and their bodies scattered, so... problem solved!
on a different note, does anyone know what world gen prefs are best for a good, one or two level cavern?
also, what happens if I hike the cavern layer number up something ridiculous, like 50?
cave ins?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:14:23 pm by ISGC »

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 03:27:35 pm »

also, what happens if I hike the cavern layer number up something ridiculous, like 50?
cave ins?

If you mean Cavern Layer Count from world gen, it only goes up to 3.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 03:36:55 pm »

Quote from: Ilmoran
If you mean Cavern Layer Count from world gen, it only goes up to 3.
ah, alright.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:44:10 pm by ISGC »
Pages: [1] 2