Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Dwarven Recycling!

(1/4) > >>

ISGC:
I have 239 caged creatures and I'm running out of cages.  So, I got the idea to start recycling cages.
what's the most efficient way to empty them if they run off when I try and haul them.
magma is readily accessible, but like I said, I would like to use the cages a second time.
I have a limited amount of mechanisms, so I could probably accomplish most small projects for recycling.

Thelogman:
Build a restraint using a chain or rope (b =>v).

Assign a caged creature to it.

This is, however, fairly dangerous if you have dangerous creatures, but you can have your military kill the chained up guys if you want.

Or, you can build the cage in a sealed arena, connect it to a lever, and then pull it, which will empty the cage of whatever is inside.

ISGC:

--- Quote from: Thelogman on April 27, 2010, 06:41:00 pm ---Build a restraint using a chain or rope (b =>v).

Assign a caged creature to it.

This is, however, fairly dangerous if you have dangerous creatures, but you can have your military kill the chained up guys if you want.

Or, you can build the cage in a sealed arena, connect it to a lever, and then pull it, which will empty the cage of whatever is inside.

--- End quote ---
yea, I didn't even count the tame creatures, they all just escape immediately if I try and move them.  as for the room, there are two problems.  1, then the creature is released around the cage, which I can easily just drop some military in, but (2) it's not the fastest way ever and (being in a terrifying biome with all three caverns open) I will probably end up still capturing more then I can replenish my cages.

EDIT: so, there is an amethyst monster without any limbs (presumably) rolling around my fortress.  what happens to unbuilt cages when I return?  and will the beast still be here?  I'm wondering whether or not I should pull the flood with magma switch.

Frumple:
With 40d, I liked to make a little box of fortifications, with a rising bridge somewhere along the edge to provide access. I'd put all my filled cages in the room, link them up to a lever, close the room (raise the bridge, that is), and pull the cage lever, letting the creatures free. I'd station whatever marksdwarves I was training at the time outside of the box and let them get some quality 'training' time in, by filling the contents of said box with bolts.

When everything was dead, the bridge got let back down, the butchers came in, and all was clean and happy again.

It's not terribly efficient in terms of player-time, though, unless you've got high skilled mechanics to deal with the lever/cage connections. On the flip side, a sufficiently large box of such nature can deal with however many cages you feel like, simultaneously.

ISGC:

--- Quote from: Frumple on April 27, 2010, 07:08:05 pm ---With 40d, I liked to make a little box of fortifications, with a rising bridge somewhere along the edge to provide access. I'd put all my filled cages in the room, link them up to a lever, close the room (raise the bridge, that is), and pull the cage lever, letting the creatures free. I'd station whatever marksdwarves I was training at the time outside of the box and let them get some quality 'training' time in, by filling the contents of said box with bolts.

When everything was dead, the bridge got let back down, the butchers came in, and all was clean and happy again.

It's not terribly efficient in terms of player-time, though, unless you've got high skilled mechanics to deal with the lever/cage connections. On the flip side, a sufficiently large box of such nature can deal with however many cages you feel like, simultaneously.

--- End quote ---
aside from marksmanship's supposed inneffectiveness, the same problem still remains, I would gain more caged creatures then I could get rid of them

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version