Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Searching for initial site is crashing DF  (Read 427 times)

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Searching for initial site is crashing DF
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:58:41 pm »

I'm new here, and I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I have serveral installations of the most recent DF on my machine.  Vanilla, DFG30, The play along version, and the DF_31_03_Graphic_Setup (Golden something).

Anyway, in all but the last one listed, if I try to use the search feature to find a suitable starting location, the game chuggs along to around 200 or so and then I get a run time error.

I was able to use this successfully with the Graphic_Setup installation.

This happens with a default world generation and with custom settings.

I would appreciate any ideas as I am having a few other issues with the Graphic_Setup installation.

Thanks,

SNAFU

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Searching for initial site is crashing DF
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:00:04 pm »

Known bug having to do with running out of memory.  Will be fixed on the next release.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:07:53 pm »

Thanks,

My understanding is that all of the installations I am running are based on 31.03, so why doesn't this affect all of the installations?

That is a real bummer as I don't really understand yet how to select a good initial site and was hoping to use this to help me out.

SNAFU

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:00:19 am »

My understanding is that all of the installations I am running are based on 31.03, so why doesn't this affect all of the installations?

That is a real bummer as I don't really understand yet how to select a good initial site and was hoping to use this to help me out.
The bug only applies when searching 'large' size worlds.  Searches on smaller size worlds still work.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:05:29 am »

Ah.  Many thanks!

dudemauler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:48:45 am »

Better yet, don't use search!

manually look for either a volcano (a red ^) or any place with a white(sedimentary) layer, trees, and a river and you should be set.

(note: sedimentary layers and volcanoes are mutually exclusive, so mod in iron ore to appear in igneous layers.
I love this. In three pages we've gone from being willing to eat intelligent beings, to trying to make them *more* intelligent, so it will be more fun to eat them.
Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 11:56:31 am »

note: sedimentary layers and volcanoes are mutually exclusive, so mod in iron ore to appear in igneous layers.

Or just find a place where a biome with sedimentary layers is near to the volcano? Modding is a bit of a cheat and it's a lazy option  ???

Even modding iron ore to be where it shouldn't, you're still missing flux stone so you wouldn't have steel...