Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Riverblade - return of the dwarves (community)  (Read 4989 times)

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Riverblade - return of the dwarves (community)
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »

Riverblade is a fortress located on a waterfall, with no other dwarven civs in existence. This means I will be getting two waves of migrants, and that's it. Also, none of the dwarves are starting with skills.

My Dwarf
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarves:

Story Intro:

A long time ago, it is said that the dwarves had massive, underground cities, filled with dwarves, booze, and wealth. That is, until the Pig Demon, leading it's Goblin army, invaded and destroyed every Dwarven empire, one by one. Now, supposedly, all that remains are the ruins, and the existance of dwarves is but a myth, a tavern tale. Being a Dwarf myself, I know better. The last of these great dwarven empires was called 'The Barricade of Denominations'. The goblins, after they sacked the place, supposedly took several dwarves as slaves to work in their mines. The status quo has been as such for generations, where it got to the point where the goblins were literally sitting on top of what was equivilant to five large mountainhomes worth of dwarves, each one strengthened from doing manual labour, and this went on for centuries.

ten years after I was born, things began to change...

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Riverblade - return of the dwarves (community)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 05:56:02 am »

I was ten at the time, and yet, seventy seven years later, I remember the beginning of the Elf wars as clear as day, er, because it was day, and I was on the surface at the time, in the council of the very same Demon Pig. You see, I am a genius among dwarves, still am, in fact, and even at that young age the Demon Pig saw that I was destined for... something. I was still experiencing cave sickness when the profecy was discussed, being on the surface and in the sunlight and all. That day, however, was the day the elves declared war on the goblins, and the demon. It was laughed about at the time; goblins have superior armour and weapons, after all, but the Elves have numbers, and elephants, and eagles, and, well, their first assault was devastating to all involved, killing hundred of elves and goblins, but the dwarves were unharmed, as they were underground. I watched it all from the great tower. Shortly after, the pig demon attacked the capital city of the elves of 500 with 30 men. They were victorious, but the Pig Demon had been slain. A force of rivaling elves then attacked us, and took over the goblin citidel, using them, and us dwarves, as pawns in their wars. I was forced out of council and into the workforce for half a century, as wars raged on above. Finally, the elven rulers decided they wanted to eradicate the dwarves once and for all. They sent dwarves into the underworld, and threw them into magma. Seven years ago, there were two hundred of us left. I began to make plans to rally our remaining number together to escape...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:33:12 am »

I'll take Stukos Urist the Red.

Proficient mechanic, proficient siege engineer.

Bring cinnabar and/or realgar, for red mechanic's workshop and RED LEVERS (maybe OF DOOM?)

Urist demands sediment, flux, granite, and sand layers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:32:14 am »

I'll take Reg, his nickname is Arni
Being a Mason/Engraver
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:08:15 pm »

I'm starting without skills, but I'll take your professions into account.

And yes, there are plenty sed/flus/gran/sand on this map :D

Two other dwarves joined in the planning process, Arni and our very own 'Urist the Red'.
 After a year, we had our plans in order, and in a bloody uprising, stormed the towers where the elves resided and slew them in their sleep. There were about fifty of us left. We kept the towers for a few years, slaying anyone who came near, before the elves and goblins caught on and attacked us, from two fronts. Outnumbered, a group of us fled south, with only what we could carry with us and a few maps with a location we had determined beforehand, a place we suspected would be a defensible position... a massive waterfall. Riverblade falls.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 03:10:38 pm »

Could I have Eshtan, please, nicknamed Ursa?

She feels welcomed by the stone and digs down for metals and gems, drawn towards slade, that she may one day lay eyes upon the fabled stone and learn its secrets.

Ideally a miner, with either her social skills put to use in trade (unless you plan on taking care of that) or her creativity and love for anvils put to use forging works of metal or stone.

First time participating, but I'll do my best!

Edit: just looked up the name: Smith Bannerclash - how fitting for such a lover of anvils!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:13:54 pm by Samthere »

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »

Out of curiosity, will you be modifying the elves to be hostile towards us outright or will we just merrily steal from them the first few visits? Or deal with them openly, in hopes that the traders favour the profits we bring them and keep us secret?

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 03:55:15 pm »

Out of curiosity, will you be modifying the elves to be hostile towards us outright or will we just merrily steal from them the first few visits? Or deal with them openly, in hopes that the traders favour the profits we bring them and keep us secret?

Depends ;)

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »

We dragged what we could salvage and fled. Fled towards Riverblade falls, unwittingly straight into Elven Territory. Looking around, I saw only seven of us, including Myself, Urist the Red, Arni, and Ursa, a smith who had the decency and stubbornness to bring an anvil into the wagon when we fled. I didn't really know anyone else, despite being well known. Being late winter, in the wet season, the muddy earth and dense jungle left little time for conversation. Arny broke the ice.

"So this is what freedom tastes like. Hmmph. Well, it sure beats elves, thats for sure. And goblins."

"Agreed on that mark. What do you think we will find there?"

"Well, whatever it is, it better be worth it. I'm not sure how much longer we will be before we run out of food, and I'd hate to think about what is out here. It's so much safer underground."

"Heh. I'd have to agree with you there."

After a long day and night, the dwarved pitched a camp on top of a tall outcropping. In the morning, on the first of granite, Urist the Red awoke for hid daily battlecry, when get stopped short.

"Guys, wake up!"
"What?"
"I think I found your waterfall!"

I looked where he was pointing, and there it was. In fact, we were on the top of a narrow peninsula overlooking the falls and two rivers. The seven dwarfs gaped in awe, until Urist the Red broke the silence.

"It's missing something..."
"What do you mean?"
"I don't know... I mean, it could use a dam, or a death trap, or a dwarf city or something. It just looks so... empty, so blank, so Elf-like *everyone groaned in an off-chord unison* in this... natural state.
Arni joined in. "Yeah, you have a point there. I say we build our fort... behind the waterfall."
"Agreed."

And so, picks in hand, the dwarves struck the earth, with the intent of returning the Dwarven Empire to its former glory.

We dragged what we could salvage and fled. Fled towards Riverblade falls, unwittingly straight into Elven Territory. Looking around, I saw only seven of us, including Myself, Urist the Red, Arni, and Ursa, a smith who had the decency and stubbornness to bring an anvil into the wagon when we fled. I didn't really know anyone else, despite being well known. Being late winter, in the wet season, the muddy earth and dense jungle left little time for conversation. Arny broke the ice.

"So this is what freedom tastes like. Hmmph. Well, it sure beats elves, thats for sure. And goblins."

"Agreed on that mark. What do you think we will find there?"

"Well, whatever it is, it better be worth it. I'm not sure how much longer we will be before we run out of food, and I'd hate to think about what is out here. It's so much safer underground."

"Heh. I'd have to agree with you there."

After a long day and night, the dwarved pitched a camp on top of a tall outcropping. In the morning, on the first of granite, Urist the Red awoke for hid daily battlecry, when get stopped short.

"Guys, wake up!"
"What?"
"I think I found your waterfall!"

I looked where he was pointing, and there it was. In fact, we were on the top of a narrow peninsula overlooking the falls and two rivers. The seven dwarfs gaped in awe, until Urist the Red broke the silence.

"What do you mean?"
"I don't know... I mean, it could use a dam, or a death trap, or a dwarf city or something. It just looks so... empty, so blank, so Elf-like *everyone groaned in an off-chord unison* in this... natural state.
Arni joined in. "Yeah, you have a point there. I say we build our fort... behind the waterfall."
"Agreed."

And so, picks in hand, the dwarves struck the earth, with the intent of returning the Dwarven Empire to its former glory.

Starting Location

Waterfall

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:30:05 pm »

Ok, after this post, I'll stop saving the images as .Jpeg. I'm losing too much quality...

Cazador looked through the wagon, and only found 3 picks, an axe, an anvil, and rather

diminished quantities of booze. "Only three axes? Ok, who wants one" Ursa volunteered, as

well as a couple of other dwarves Cazador had yet to know very well. Instructing the

miners, Cazador had them dig a tunnel through their hill to a spot that was level with

where they wanted the entrance, so that they could build a bridge. Cazador, Urist, and Arni

started unloading the wagon, and harsh words were exchanged when Arni slipped and dropped

the booze.

When they finally started on the bridge, there was a dispute on where to put it. There was

a dispute over whether above-ground crops were worth consuming. There was a dispute over

the presence of a cat. Of course, the disputes stopped once a path was carved behind the

waterfall, because everyone was enjoying the mist too much to dispute, and so they met to

discuss their new home.
Urist began "I think we need a large entrance chamber!"
Arni piped in "And a nice, large private space! For each of us! I mean, its not like we are

going to get too many people coming here."
"Private waterfalls!" piped a third voice. Cazador vetoed the third. "Sounds good. I'll

help make some furnature, and you guys dig out our entry chamber."

The path behind the waterfall.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 11:47:25 pm »

I'm enjoying it so far, and from what I've seen the map is absolutely gorgeous :D Will check in again when I awaken - strike the earth!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:43:58 am »

"What do you mean?"

That's me.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 11:31:18 am »

May I insist on making the furniture? I'm a proud mason who created for years the furniture for the dwarves living in the goblin mines! As well as sometimes smoothing a room.
Military and Militia. It's horrible

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 03:03:22 pm »

After digging the path into the fort, and an area that was to be destined to be farmed, the dwarved started to move in. Arni insisted on making furnature, so I let him get started, eager for some furnishings for their future bedrooms. The miners also began digging out the future private residences of everyone.

Soon, summer came, and the dwarves were still settling in (with Urist insisting on making large quantities of mechanisms) when Arni, from a break, came running in. "Cazador! Dwarves over the Horizon. I came out, and sure enough, waiting were four dwarves who were seperated from us during the escape. "Aye!" Shouted one. "Got any room and rum te spare?"
"Not yet, but we will have some available shortly. Come on in!"

"So, what happened to you guys?"
"You managed to get out of the gate, while we were stuck behind it when it closed. We had to fight the filthy elves to climb over the walls. Most of us didn't make it. I remembered where you told us to go if we escaped, and we headed over here."
Urist Joined in. "Did... anyone else escape?"
The dwarf shrugged. "Maybe. The elves had released their animals on us by the time I was over the wall, and landing after the fall didn't help us fight off two war eagles. If anyone else made it, they will arrive before winter. Anytime after that, and I think it would be safe to say no-one else made it."
Cazador agreed.
Dwarves 1, 2
Dwarves 3, 4

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 03:08:41 pm »

Your taking Community like members right? Ill have a psychopathic Axedwarf by the name of Derek Soulchopper, a completely mad Dwarf who cleaves elves and anything else asunder in his thirst for vengeance on those who drove him insane.

Continually chants the word CHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOP
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4