Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Riverblade - return of the dwarves (community)  (Read 4990 times)

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Riverblade - return of the dwarves (community)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »

Ursa was pleased to hear of the arrival of several more dwarves, who managed to safely escape slaughter, and even more so when she learned on of them had a good knowledge of smelting metal ores! She decided, when she had time to spare, she would seek out fuel and metal deposits under the ground, if there were any to be found here.

One of the dwarves had a glint of madness in its eyes which unsettled her somewhat, and wouldn't stop talking about cutting things. She'd try not to let it get to her.

Still, she wondered if the elves would be so lax in their genocide as to leave them to develop a while longer - the only thing you can really rely on an elf for is to throw a temper tantrum if you step on a twig.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 03:44:54 pm »

Summer came and went, and we spent the time making our position a little more defensible, carving out homes, and preparing the farms. The miners dug down a bit, Ursa nearly fell when she opened up the view into an expansive cavern, with water below her. Until we get magma, I'm going to concede digging around anything that might be dangerous. In the meantime, Arni volunteered to set something up for protection purposes.

As spring arrived, another six dwarves arrived. Urist and I met with them.

"Welcome to Riverblade, come on in."
"So, how did you guys escape?"
The leading dwarf shuddered.
"We were outnumbered and cornered by elves and goblins. We would be dead if this guy..." the dwarf gestured to a stout dwarf with a twitchy eye "Hadn't chosen that moment to snap, and rescued all of us with his axe, saving his wife in the process. Now, all he can say is, well..."
"CHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOP"
"I see... and married, too."
"Yes. His name is Derek Soulchopper. Anyways, you should have seen him. He was doing backflips and everything, this one elf, he ran up the poor tree-hugger, grabbed it's head with his legs, and twisted it right off before tossing it in the air and swinging his axe at it, cleaving it in two and decapitating two further elves... haunts me to this day."
Urist smirked. He was going to like this guy -
- err, maybe not. Actually, this could get annoying, he decided.

The cavern. Note the less-than-convenient water pool where I want my stairs :(

Derek Soulchopper (note his love of battleaxes)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 11:30:46 pm »

Can I get the worldgen info on this?

EDIT:

(with Urist insisting on making large quantities of mechanisms)

That's me, all right. Cage traps?
Urist smirked. He was going to like this guy -
- err, maybe not. Actually, this could get annoying, he decided.

On the contrary. A true dwarven barbarian is a terror on the battlefield. I respect him, and pray to Zedot that his axe never fail him in battle. His "quirk" will also have the effect of instilling terror among his enemies, and everybody knows that a hopeless enemy is a weak enemy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:24:01 am by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 11:50:05 pm »

Might I take the (hammer-wielding) Chief Medical Dwarf?  If you find anyone with the right skills, or skill anyone up with them.

Name: Doc
Custom Profession: Field Medic

Learned how to patch dwarves up after some accidents in the Goblin mines. Also uses some of that knowledge to take elves apart. With a hammer.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 03:51:16 pm »

Note guys: don't be too judgmental about Doc yet ;D

Further examination of the cavern showed evidence that a Giant Cave Spider had been in the area. At the same time, I became the self-elected doctor of our fort. I'm still among the homeless in the fort, Urist in the meantime is admiring his own room above his workshop. As for Derek... He's more insane than I thought; he just took our cat as his own.

Actually, Urist has been pretty busy, with Arni, as of late. I convinced them that we needed a trading depot, and despite their grumbing, they started working on it right away. In fact, they are still making additions to the Depot... I heard something about the aquifer above the depot, but I'm not sure...

On a lower note, we just ran out of booze...

... it was a long winter. We kept ourselves busy by building our defenses, fishing, and deciding that we should have a medic. I volunteered, but this other dwarf burst in at that moment.

"Ooh, I know how to doctor! I was a doctor in the mines!"
I looked at him funny, he didn't look all that experienced.
"What's your name, sir?"
"Doc."
"Doc?"
"That's my name."
"When... did you take on this name... ?"
"Just n-... It was always that. In addition, I earned it while I was doctoring down in the goblin mines, with all the accidents and all!"
"Err, ok. Excuse me, while I make an, erm, sacrifice to my god, I may need his good favour..."
Urist stood up. "I'm with him."
"Oh, no need for that. My god doesn't need sacrifices!"
"No sacrifices!? Wait a second... An!?"
"Yes. Why?"
Urist and Derek stood in unison, the first uttering curses, swears, and violently calling Doc an elf-lover, the second regurgitating "CHOPCHOPCHOP!". Both were charging and both were stopped only by a determined Arni stepping in the way.
"Hang on guys, we might need him!"
"What!? WHY YOU TRAITOR!!!"
An Ironic saying, considering Arni worshipped the god of War and Fortresses.
"Well, truth is, we aren't exactly prepared for an elf invasion. If we kept him, his 'god' may merely cause the elves to bring us food and animals."
Ursa spoke up. "Excuse my ignorance; who is this 'An' god anyways?"
I jutted in sharply. "Nothing much, only the god of peace."
The whole room gasped and went silent, save a confused Doc and the "Chopchopchop" coming from Derek.
"I... see. actually, keeping him busy with the hospital might be a good idea. Maybe having him make soap on the side would be good to."
Everyone agree.

And from then forth onward, Doc was the Doctor.

Do note: I'm away for the weekend. More on Sunday.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »

Well, given our shortfall of food, I've decided it's an ideal time to begin our breeding program. Derek looked bored, so I told him to chop up a mule and three weaker puppies. He jumped up, excitedly, and began to chant "CHOPCHOPCHOP", inciting fear into the puppies.

Just as we returned to self-sustainability, the elves were spotted over the horizon. At the same time, our depot was open, but not fully booby-trapped, so we would be inconvenianced time-wise upon activating it. We held a quick meeting.

"I think we should trade with them. We don't want to get on their bad side yet, and if they make it back alive, the humans might trade with us!"

"Fair eno-"

"No! NONONO! You don't trade with elves, you kill them, slice off their high heads and cut them down to our size, then keep their hearts to catapult at the reinforcements of their soon-to-be dead brethren!!"
Everyone turned to look at Doc, surprised that, he of all people, was opposed to trade.
"What? One who is a doctor has to be at peace with his inner self, not the elves! What are you looking at!?"
"CHOP!"
"Derek's right. We have to trade."
"NO!"
"Lock him up until the elves leave!"

and so we did.

As the leader of the dwarves, I spoke to the elves personally, and traded for their animals. The Elves, according to our conversations, are trading with us because they see us as no real threat and nearly forgot that we were their prisoners at one point. Well, let me tell you, Elves may have short memories for their long lives, but us dwarves, our memories are long, and we don't forget.

Speaking of never forgetting, a breeding pair of elephants just wandered into our cage traps. I'm going to have someone tame them immediately.

As summer comes, there is much rejoicing amongth the fort. Derek and his wife have just had a son. He hasn't told me what his name is (probably CHOPCHOP), but the kid seems to have an unhealthy obsession with justice and warhammers...
... We are well on our way to becomming a Mountain home :D

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 08:28:42 pm »

CHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOP!

(My baby is beautiful! and he has a strong sense of justice and a liking of war hammers! He'll make a fine Hammerer Soldier or sheriff someday. On another note, CHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOP!)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 08:30:26 pm »

(My baby is beautiful! and he has a strong sense of justice and a liking of war hammers! He'll make a fine Hammerer Soldier or sheriff someday. On another note, CHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOPCHOP!)
I should probably mention that your dwarf's god is the god of justice.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 08:32:33 pm »

Hurrah! My entire lineage is hammerAxers!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 10:56:14 pm »

I should probably mention that your dwarf's god is the god of justice.

A holy "bump (on the head) for great justice."

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 02:13:12 am »

GYAAAAH!! How dare they.
I will get them for this. There are two people you never piss off. One is the guy who makes your ☼plump helmet roast☼ and the other is your doctor.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 05:26:13 am »

When Ursa gets some free time, can I ask that you have her start digging vertically down (in secret)? Perhaps a tunnel hidden behind her cabinet :D

If she hits a cavern, she'll build an up stair on the bottom up/down stair to seal it off, and then dig around it. Her goal is ultimately slade, but if she hits any surprise goodies such as metals or gems she will be distracted (i.e. please don't reach the slade just yet :P) and bring up the materials for the good of all. A more immediate goal is magma, at which point she will dig out enough room for a magma furnace and possibly reveal the secret passage to her new friend, the furnace operator.

As a goodwill gift to the elves, she will personally present one unremarkable stone. :D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 12:39:39 pm »

GYAAAAH!! How dare they.
I will get them for this. There are two people you never piss off. One is the guy who makes your ☼plump helmet roast☼ and the other is your doctor.

Relax. We trade with this one, we get more to kill next year.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 10:12:09 pm »

not much happened for a while...

----

Summer came and went; no humans. I was slightly disappointed, even with all the interesting new animals running through our fort. Ursa was down below, digging for magma, as I began recording our stockpiles. From what I was able to find out, she found two additional caverns, narrowly avoided getting our fort attacked by a gaint cave swallow, found a pillar of adamantium, and hit magma. According to some sources, she is busy mining out her proposed magma forge. It will be nice to finally have some true dwarven steel.

Derek got in a quarrel with a wild elephant, and cut the thing's leg with his axe. Maybe he's a little to... choppy... for even our temporary lumberjack.

In any case, it's a good thing we got ourselves sealed off from the underground; we are ill-prepared, and a Giant Cave Spider was spotted... as well as a whole array of fiends.

on a side note, our magma forges have just become operational. We are also digging out new houses for Ursa and the smelter; it appears Ursa's room has a gold vein in it...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4