Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Wagonways Transport

(1/1)

katana0182:
Having your dwarves haul stone out of the mines, piece by piece, when you dig, is kind of annoying, and cleaning up the 500 pieces of clothing and armor after those goblin sieges is also a real transport nightmare. I suggest an alternative to piece-by-piece hauling by dwarves, which would be to use mine cars/mine wagons, hitched to mules, and running on track, to take items to an appropriate stockpiling area (or just dump it into the chasm). What could be done to implement this might be having mechanics build tracks, and carpenters build the wagons/cars. Horses/mules could be trained and hitched to these wagons. At certain points along the track, the player could build stockpiles adjacent to it, and then an option could come up to link the stockpile to the rail network. Each track-adjacent stockpile could have a selection of items that dwarves could put in, and items that wagons can put in. There even could be a special building built only on the edge of the chasm, which could serve to empty wagons/cars automatically. It could have a selection of items (or some kind of filtered item selection, like XX or X damaged items, or foreign items), that it would accept for auto-chasming.If horses, mules, or ponies were chosen not to be used, well, you can always have the children taken away from their frolics to push the cars/wagons!

Sukasa:
That's very interesting.  What I'd like to see though is an option to (with a lot of mechanisms, of course) connect a track up to an axel or whatever and have the cart move under it's own power!

JT:
Mine carts and stuff and such have already been suggested.  It's in the Bloats and will probably be a part of the Burrows/Boroughs system.[ October 28, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version