Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have just one problem with platinum  (Read 1287 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
I have just one problem with platinum
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:00:00 pm »

Despited being really really good... theres just FAR to much of it. It's probably been said before but platinum in real life terms is 30 times rarer than gold! I find it annoying that theres just so much of the stuff under my fort, and next to no gold. Every fort i've started, i've come across some platinum. In my current fort, i have over 100 bars of the stuff... where as gold is _nowhere_ to be seen at all! It really... doesn't make much sense.
The wiki don't lie... evar!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have just one problem with platinum
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

It truly depends on the fortress location. My current location doesn't have a lick of platnium, and I've only found one gold vein - however, I'm nearly drowning in Tetrahydite[sp?], with over 300 unsmelted chunks left after 2 magma smelters going full-blast for a year. I've also got pounds of aluminum, and can hardly dig out another room of the fort without finding more.

So, you just got lucky. Start churning out platnium crafts, and pity the poor forts that get stuck with nuthin' but copper.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 04:05:00 pm »

Not all forts have all materials now.   I've had forts swimming in steel and gold.   I've had forts with almost nothing but rock.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

we know this, but what he means is that if your fort has a lot of sedimentary rock (which a lot of the forts will), then it comes with bucketloads of magnetite, which has a large amount of platinum in it.  It's MUCH harder to hunt down eg silver/gold veins because of this and gold only seems to show up in the igneous areas  :(
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

I have no idea why this thread is here instead of the fortress mode discussion area.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 09:34:00 am »

It's kind of funny, my current fort actually has quite a bit of silver and gold, but I've yet to find any platinum, despite having about 500?-ish pieces of magnetite lying around.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »

Magnetite will be nerfed next version. Bauxite will take up at least half the space, and kaolinite too.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:42:02 pm by penguinofhonor »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

If the biased mineral placement goes away next version, then platinum and aluminum will be considerably nerfed - they will fight for space against all gems and generic minerals. My current experience (with my little hotfix) is that even the usually-abundant magnetite isn't altogether plenty, although even one cluster of it will last a fort for some time. I do have all the minerals altered though, so it might be because of that...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India