Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Locksmith's workshop, Keys and locked doors  (Read 2301 times)

Breakfaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Locksmith's workshop, Keys and locked doors
« on: March 30, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »

Unbelievable, but i didnt find any request for a Locksmith's Workshop with a locksmith or keymaster in the whole forum.

The idea is simple:
Just provide doors with locks and keyholder dwarfes holding special keys/key rings,
so only dwarfes carrying the fitting key can pass those doors. (I think this will be much more intertesting than simple access lists for doors)
Further you can provide 'Locks in Wall'-Mechanisms instead of simple Levers.

Maybe a keyholder dwarf allows his friends to pass through a locked door too, depending on his attitude.

For example: By building a locked door at your kitchen entrance you can prevent dwarfes running though the middle of your kitchen all the time disturbing the cook and destroying meals and still have one or two more entrances to it. And the cook may open the door for everybody when he finished.

I think this could work also like an unspoken forbidden area, so if you dont mark the locked room as forbidden any dwarf can enter it, he just has to persuade the keyholder to open the door for him.

When u choose the right dwarf for keyholding he will let only one or two others or may even nobody in this room.
->Then some dwarfes get curious what could be hidden in this room . . .
->And over a time-period even stories may come up something like a golden chest full of diamonds while there is just an low quality wooden chest with rotten food in there.  :p . . . Oh no where will this lead to. Could be fun . . . The keyholder of this room will get in trouble with a bookkeeper of course.

Though, running against locked doors all the time all over the gangways can be very annoying for a non-keyholder dwarf.

At least, this can lead to locked-in dwarfes because the keyholder decides to sleep in this locked room or just ran away leaving his "friend" prisoned, bumping at the locked door and shouting for someone to let him out, or in worst case the door gets axe-murdered by the prisoner.
- To prevent this, u can declare the room as forbidden or find a better keyholder.

just like that,
Breakfaster

----------------------------------------

Greetings from my still running first fortress. The one and only at all.
46 drunken party dwarfes running through a quite efficient 3D Labyrinth with workshops, stockpiles, meeting and drinking spots, asoasf. Looks fun. Had no big troubles until now.
Got plenty of food and drinks. Plenty of stuff to trade. And nobody has to work hard :-)
I almost built everything and im currently thinking about why and how to expand.
Currently training 3 Marksdwarfes, some Axe-freaks and a siege operator for the big troubles to come - if there are any. I dont know, im still noob.     :cool:

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Locksmith's workshop, Keys and locked doors
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »

It seems to me like an extra layer of micromanagement to something that already requires you to keep track of which doors are allowed/forbidden.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

I don't care if it adds micromanagement, it sounds good to me.

Breakfaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »

"extra layer of micromanagement" sounds far too complicated.

Its not about allow/forbid-ing something.

Its just to add an 'lock' item to doors and if its there and activated the door can only be opened by a dwarf with the right key in his inventory . .
-> this sounds simple for me.

Once opened of course other dwarfes can pass through with him (if the keyholder doesnt block them) - like pets going through non-pet-passable doors in my fortress actually and eating the cookable items in my kitchen  :eek: .

My request is: Just add this feature and see what happens ^^

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

Even if it's just for personal rooms it would be okay unless you wanted to put furniture in, say, a noble's room, or whatever.  Heaven forbid you're trying to engrave a block of rooms- you'd have to get like, eight dwarves to show up with their keys to unlock the doors so the engraver can do his business.   I'm sure locks and keys will be implemented somehow, but I don't think this would be a fun way to do it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

Amazingly enough, this idea has been requested, just not with the words "locksmith."

If you check the "Top3 Suggestions" thread there's a small note about:

quote:
(2) door access lists:
zagibu, Istrian

Which is the suggestion you're looking for.

Breakfaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

@Capntastic : You should better dont activate the lock before the room is finished and the furniture placed in.   ;)
Further i think too many locked doors can make the dwarfes getting paranoid or something.
Use this feature wisely!

An additional 'open locked door'-task is needed for keyholders, so the one who wanna enter the room heads for a keyholder of this room first. The keyholder can deactivate the lock and leave it open if ordered.

Allrighti?

@Draco18s : Please read my post again!

My request is to add a extra Workshop producing keys and Locks and keyholders InsteaD of this st***d access lists.

so long . . .

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

I'd prefer an access list, let the keys and such be conceptualized and not actual (like mason tools, for one of many examples). One suggestion that I've seen and liked, but am too lazy to look up, is to give doors a profile screen like workshops.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

If you're going to have locks, they should only function for keeping kobolds and the ilk out - the 'cost' being that you need a dwarf with a key to use lock/unlock the door/lever/etc.

If you include a 'lost key' mechanic, whereby a stolen key(or just allowing them to hand around a locked door/etc long enough) means critters may show up with a copy of said key, then you'll want the ability to specify, say, Type A/B/C lock/key. And maybe the ability to assign keys to specific dwarves. But all this would mean alot of work for little in the way of actual features.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nesoo:
<STRONG>I'd prefer an access list, let the keys and such be conceptualized and not actual (like mason tools, for one of many examples).</STRONG>

Ditto.  Having the make keys, then assign the keys, then assign the doors, and then and then and then...is just too much work.

Also, it'd completely f*ck a Dwarf's AI if he has to path to a workshop on the other side of a door that he has the key to.  Instead of being tasked as "Make Rock Furniture" the dwarf has "unlock door" whereupon another mason grabs the task instead, only to get "unlock door" and then what do you have?  Every mason capable of going through that door and using the workshop pathing there.  Then they all get there one after the other and find the place occupied, then cancel their task, spamming the player.

Yeah.  That'd be fun.

Breakfaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 02:59:00 am »

noooo!

Let me explain a bit more details.

A mason who has the key for his door doesnt need the "unlock door", he just walks through.
The "unlock door"-task is only for open it up for others.

Maybe in the beginning this feature starts up without the "open it for others"-feature. Then the "unlock door"-task only appears when you deactivate a lock making it much easier.

quote:
posted by : Draco18s
Ditto. Having the make keys, then assign the keys, then assign the doors, and then and then and then...

. . . and then what ?? Yeah! Create a new Workshop and a new occupation.
You already have tightly closed doors to keep animals out, so its almost there . . .

Why not expand the gameplay a little bit except of adding simple access lists.
Imagine a dwarf standing before a door thinking "i wanna walk through this door but my name is not on the 222 names holding access list of this door".

Why should every door handle those large access lists except of a simple lock??

huh!?

^^

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 03:50:00 am »

I have to side with the access list on this one; this idea strikes me as being unnecessarily complicated for the task at hand. Adding a profession whose sole purpose is locking doors just seems excessive.

What would be a nice middleground, I think, would be to roll this concept in as an expansion to mechanics; mechanisms can be used as locks and installed by mechanics. This activates the access list for the door which doesn't actually require physical key objects. So not every door has a huge access list but you can still lock 'em up.
The quality of the mechanism could then act as a potential deterrent to infiltration by foreign spies, thieves and snatchers. Normal mechanisms being practically worthless and masterworks being very difficult to breach.

Artifact mechanisms, when they crop up, would be absolutely impossible to pick; if you do manage to solve the lock, chains fly out from nowhere and flay the flesh from your bones as weird guys in leather leer at you creepily.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 08:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Breakfaster:
<STRONG>. . . and then what ?? Yeah! Create a new Workshop and a new occupation.</STRONG>
We already have enough useless immigrants, we don't need MORE jobs. If one of the existing jobs did it, sure.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 11:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by GRead:
<STRONG>Artifact mechanisms, when they crop up, would be absolutely impossible to pick; if you do manage to solve the lock, chains fly out from nowhere and flay the flesh from your bones as weird guys in leather leer at you creepily.</STRONG>

Indeed!  :p

And an access list isn't "Oh, my name isn't on the list, I can't go through", it's just a way to simplify who has a key (or combination, or whatever) for a locked door and who doesn't.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Breakfaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 01:56:00 pm »

I still feel a bit misunderstood . .  

. . . anyway.

quote:
Adding a profession whose sole purpose is locking doors just seems excessive.
Keyholding as a profession??!? Weird idea.
To be a keyholder just means to have a key in the inventury - thats all!
Constructing of locks and keys is a profession.

quote:
GRead wrote:
mechanisms can be used as locks and installed by mechanics. This activates the access list for the door which doesn't actually require physical key objects. So not every door has a huge access list but you can still lock 'em up.
:cool:,
Breakfaster

---------------------------

Dont think uneasy - think like a software engineer - and start to manage complexity

Pages: [1] 2 3