Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Is armor overpowered in DF2010?  (Read 25995 times)

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is armor overpowered in DF2010?
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:46 am »

Am i the only one who thinks the new material system makes the armor too strong?

Just recently i was playing my fort and checked on the first layer of caverns where i set up sentries to protect the woodcutters. I was quite shocked to discover a mutilated corpse of a Giant Cave Spider with 2 legs lopped off, in a pool of spider ichor, lying beside about 9 webs. I checked my battle reports. Apparently my lone militia captain stopped the beast while she was on watch. The log indicated that spider repeatedly immobilized the poor gal and went at her for 7 pages of combat, unable to do any damage whatsoever until the captain finally managed to dodge the webs long enough to strike back and killed the spider in a few blows. Now i havent had any experience with a GCS before, but from what i heard about it, the thing is slightly less dangerous then a dragon. And my militia captain was clad in (good quality) iron boots, steel mail shirt, and bone gauntlets, leggings and helmet. She had a steel battle axe and shield but she was only a competent armor user.

Later a civilian escaped a cave crocodile after being chased by it for 10 seconds, and was bitten thrice but his clothes blocked all three attacks completely, and the military macedwarf who came to his rescue was only equipped in bone helmet and gauntlets, and his clothing blocked all the other attacks.

Where did all the Fun go?

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
Re: Is armor overpowered in DF2010?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:17:07 am »

Dig deeper. Find *fun*. Profit!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:42 am »

Technically, the problem is with natural attacks, not with armor. Natural attacks are completely borked right now.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:44:46 am »

No, its realistic.

In real life a suit of masterwork gothic plate armor is pretty much invincible, except to guns at point blank range.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes, its heavy, yes its a bit awkward to move in, but when you get hit so what? Its not like anything can pierce the armor.

This is why guns were invented.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:49:17 am by Hyndis »

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:50:02 am »

hammer to crush your limbs/organs through the armour

mace/morning star to actually get through it.

alternatively just trip em and take a mallet to their head.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 08:53:02 am »

This is why the English won at Agincourt. The French were wearing heavy plate armor, the English had no armor, bows, daggers, and mallets. However it was raining and several feet of mud on the ground. The very heavy knights in that heavy steel armor sunk into the mud and got stuck.

But in a stand up fight? Armor all the way.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:24:47 am »

No, its realistic.

In real life a suit of masterwork gothic plate armor is pretty much invincible, except to guns at point blank range.

Later a civilian escaped a cave crocodile after being chased by it for 10 seconds, and was bitten thrice but his clothes blocked all three attacks completely

Not armor; clothes.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 09:52:06 am »

hammer to crush your limbs/organs through the armour

mace/morning star to actually get through it.

Or a pick. All the weight of a mace, with even more sharpness. It was also pretty routinely used against heavy armour.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:38:09 am »

That's also a warhammer, namely the pointy end.

Actual mining picks might work if you could hit the other guy right, but they're not very agile weapons since stone doesn't move much.

123BIG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 10:43:05 am »

Dig deeper. Find *fun*. Profit!
Well i dont think there are a lot of beasts more powerfull then a GCS further down,.uUnless they can use weapons they probably cant hurt my dorfs. And demons are too much Fun.

No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.
Also if youre a giant spider, kicking a tied up guy covered in bones for half an hour straight, chances are you will do at least SOME damage.

Fatal_Exception

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 11:07:44 am »

Oh realism is definitely a major goal of DF. It's just not very fleshed out in many systems at this stage.

But yeah the damage model is messed up in some cases at the moment -- a side-effect of major changes to make it more realistic.

Mikko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 11:19:00 am »

Actual mining picks might work if you could hit the other guy right, but they're not very agile weapons since stone doesn't move much.

Neither do armored soldiers. Sorry, I just had to, move along!

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 11:27:28 am »

No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Awesome.
No, its realistic.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:42 am »

Neither do armored soldiers. Sorry, I just had to, move along!
Armoured soldiers are just as agile as unarmoured ones. Sorry, I just had to, move along!
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 11:43:22 am »

You're telling me an armored soldier can move with the same unencumbered speed and grace as an unarmored one?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8