Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something A Bit... Weird  (Read 3962 times)

Biscuitry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Something A Bit... Weird
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:36:26 am »

All right, there is probably some obvious forum thread, wiki page or bug report I've overlooked, and you're all going to think I'm stupid for even posting about this, but for my own part, I honestly can't think how to explain this thing.

Today, I've been beginning to experiment with world generation parameters to get more interesting worlds. So I poked and poked at it until I got something that actually generated a playable region, decided it looked okay and gave it a shot. Imagine my surprise when I found all my dwarves replaced by bronze colossi and clad in "unknown frozen creature substance" clothing!

Wondering if I'd perhaps forgotten to change something back after messing with the raws a bit yesterday, I created an entirely fresh install of DF 0.31.03 and ran the worldgen anew using the same parameters and random seeds. No change.

For what it's worth, these are my worldgen parameters, as dumped by the "export image" option:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Can someone please tell me what on earth I broke?

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
Re: Something A Bit... Weird
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 09:42:04 am »

Wondering if I'd perhaps forgotten to change something back after messing with the raws a bit yesterday
I guess the problem lies here. Messing with raws can have rather... entertaining consequences.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Biscuitry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:49:22 am »

Wondering if I'd perhaps forgotten to change something back after messing with the raws a bit yesterday
I guess the problem lies here. Messing with raws can have rather... entertaining consequences.

If so, you'd expect the reinstall to fix it, right?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:51:05 am »

It sounds like the duplicate creature bug.  Happens when there is two objects with the same header. (Like two [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] for example)

So if you did something like that it could be your issue.  If not it could be a new raw file thing that I haven't experienced yet.  Just remember that saves copy your raw files into the save folder as well now.  So if you made a world, then changed your raws.  The raws that the world uses are identical to the raws when the world was created, and won't reflect any changes made after.

If so, you'd expect the reinstall to fix it, right?

It should.  Delete the old folder first though.  If the problem is an added entry if you just overwrite the folder the added entry would still be there.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:52:58 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Biscuitry

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 10:12:03 am »

It should.  Delete the old folder first though.  If the problem is an added entry if you just overwrite the folder the added entry would still be there.

Turns out you're absolutely right. My text editor makes a backup in the same directory of any files it overwrites; apparently the .bak files were being read just the same as the .txt files.

Mystery solved. Thanks very much.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 12:03:41 pm »

^^^ You weren't the first with this problem.  I added a note there pointing back to this thread.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:05:54 pm by Footkerchief »