Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 45

Author Topic: Woman of SCIENCE!  (Read 58085 times)

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
Re: Woman of SCIENCE!
« Reply #495 on: May 10, 2010, 09:13:22 am »

Sleep, then stack things or make a rubber band pistoel from bluetack or something like that t get physics.

no we will sleep and than program tanks
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 10, 2010, 09:47:44 am »

Sleep is on the queue, need seconds for ideas to do on waking.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 10, 2010, 10:10:45 am »

programing tanks game was secunded
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 10, 2010, 10:36:11 am »

Do not meet Nathan!

Sleep. When you wake up, if you have lots of cafe time left, meet Nathan there. If you have a bit, check on your virus and parts prices. If it's too late, study and work on designing a system to evade police (proxies, onion routers, etc.)

I don't understand how we meet Nathan. I don't remember him giving us his cell phone number. Does he stay there all day just waiting for us to grace him with our presence?
this I think we should do :P
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 10, 2010, 10:37:04 am »

Do not meet Nathan!

Sleep. When you wake up, if you have lots of cafe time left, meet Nathan there. If you have a bit, check on your virus and parts prices. If it's too late, study and work on designing a system to evade police (proxies, onion routers, etc.)

I don't understand how we meet Nathan. I don't remember him giving us his cell phone number. Does he stay there all day just waiting for us to grace him with our presence?
This.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 10, 2010, 10:53:24 am »

Do not meet Nathan!

This.
Agreed. This is what we shall do.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 10, 2010, 11:08:02 am »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 11, 2010, 10:33:55 pm »

Agree with small quote pyramid above

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 12, 2010, 07:50:47 am »

Do not meet Nathan!

This.
Agreed. This is what we shall do.
Fifth'd!
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 12, 2010, 08:19:48 am »

I would like to officially apologize for World of Good and the Humble Indie pack. The problem has been dealt with. We will return to regular programming tomorrow.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 12, 2010, 10:11:44 am »

Hmmmm. This Humble Indie pack sounds like a great thing.
Free software is good, the Internet seems to be a great platform for this. I mean, would you work at McDonald's for 8 hours for fun? But people enjoy dedicating time to improving software, and if even one person posts a cool mod, everyone can have it.
On the other hand, I also think that companies should be able to distribute DRM-locked buggy pieces of terrible software that do nothing but shout "YOU ARE A COCKSUCKER" constantly for $500 each if they want. It's just that, well, nobody's going to buy it.

EDIT: This subject interests me (not least because I really like free software), and I would like to learn/discuss more. But I realize it's off-topic; if someone would like to say something, just post so - don't make a big thing yet - and I'll make a new topic and we can talk there.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 10:22:05 am by Cheddarius »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 13, 2010, 08:52:51 pm »

Action 25
Pah, 30 hours? You've barely even begun to-

and with that, you promptly collapse from exhaustion. You wake up, groggily, 14 hours later. You awake with IDEAS! But to do them, you're going to need internet, and the cafe and library are both probably closed by this time of night... Well, thats a problem. You're sister disabled her internet access. But... yes! You are pretty damn sure you can fix that.

It barely takes you an hour to reactivate the modem and bypass security to reactivate the account. It takes another couple hours to cover up the trail, and obfuscate your tracks so unless they know what to look for, they won't have any idea it is reactivated.

Ah, now to get to work on what you REALLY wanted to work on! Your personal system is secure, but you need away to engage in internet activities without arousing undue suspicion. That was also part of why you re-enabled the local access - public hot spots are good for anonymity to a certain point, but they are not secure. For many types of activity, especially at hot spots you use regularly, it is too risky.

But with some research online, and a decent chunk of time, you manage to set up a convoluted system that should evade anyone who seeks to trace your activities. You manage to find and break into a couple open ports on various far away PCs, and begin the process of building an effective security system from this safely remote base of operations. First, you've built a quick "fake you" that will log on to the internet whenever you log on, and engage in regular activity in the background like reading forums and webcomics and the news, to give you cover. Meanwhile, you've built a nest of proxies, anonymizers, encrypters and security systems that will protect your REAL activities, and even if they are broken evidence will point back to one of your fallback zombie PCs. Someone would have to look extraordinarily hard to notice who you were or what you were up to.

You publicly check on the prices of various parts and bits for later reference, and covertly check on your virus. Your game has been removed from the site, and a public warning made on the front page. In addition, a few minor anti-virus news outlets have discussed how nasty it was, as apparently it affected a decent chunk of users. It was, of course, intentionally limited in scope - and you see, now, so much more you could have done with it. If you decide the OldSky users haven't had enough, it would be trivial to make several variants of the virus that could again get around any antivirus protection, and a system that would upload them in the guise of sequels to popular games already on the site over the course of time. Of course, there are probably better uses of your time.

You also have enough infrastructure now to create a basic botnet virus, if you so choose. It is a few hours till the coffee shop opens, and you suddenly remember you were supposed to meat that Nathan character at some point. Still, you have a few hours left. And as fun as it has been to spend the last two days elbow deep in code and computer systems, you feel like something a bit more hands on to fill up the time between now and then.

Also, you have a bowl of beans for "breakfast".

You now have Internet access at home.
You now have an active Level 4 Internet Security System.
Knowledge Gained: Programming +.1
New Statistic Added: Information Infrastructure

Spoiler: Schematics and Mods (click to show/hide)

You are content
You are awake.
You are full.
TIME: 4:30am
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:58:23 pm by GlyphGryph »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 13, 2010, 09:06:19 pm »

Tips when talking to Nathan:

1) BE POLITE: We don't want to go making an enemy
2) DON'T USE BIG WORDS: We don't wanna hurt his brain
3) SCIENCEEEEE: Not really, but I couldn't resist.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:38 pm »

We need to acquire larger motors to get any real work done. but where?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 13, 2010, 10:08:24 pm »

Dragnar, I think we're focusing on psychology now. But we can look into parts.
Glyph, are the parts prices low enough that we can buy new and/or better parts for our Beetle for less than $50?

Meanwhile, let's get us some money. I want to develop infrastructure first, to build up skill. Then, we can build viruses, and with higher skill, they'll be harder to detect.
Work on money infrastructure - secure online account, erasing the trail, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 45