Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45

Author Topic: Woman of SCIENCE!  (Read 58089 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woman of SCIENCE!
« Reply #465 on: May 09, 2010, 09:32:04 pm »

Action 23
Content with your work, you hop to a nearby computer, and log in to check your email. You've gotten two offers on the bot. One says - "pics please first" and the other says that he'll have to see it first, but he's looking for a fun toy for his kid and might give you 50 dollars for what you described.

Logging off, you head outside in a better mood than you entered, and let out a maniacal laugh as you walk back home. You get a few stairs from other people, but let them stare - they cannot begin to understand the sweetness of the revenge you just dealt out.

So you head home and, grabbing some food from upstairs to eat while you do so, spend a couple hours plowing through your chemistry book, burning off any remaining anger with a big dose of SCIENCE! learning. You'll have to give it a try, application-wise, before you can be absolutely sure you've got it all down - once you've done that, you're pretty sure you'll have mastered everything it describes, and thus won't need the book any longer. You figure, why not, and read your physics book while you're at it. The same thing about applying the knowledge is still the case there, too.

Finally, you sit at your computer, and spend some time playing around with your earlier virus, making an amusing variant that forces a moonwalking Salvador Dali onto the victims screen, and adds a burning giraffe into the background. You also explore a few more interesting vectors, and end up accidentally infecting you own computer. Hmm... this could get annoying.

Knowledge Gained: Chemistry +.9
Knowledge Gained: Physics +.9

Spoiler: Schematics and Mods (click to show/hide)
Your computer is now infected with an annoying virus. What would you like to do next?

You are content
You are awake.
You are full.
TIME: 11:20pm
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:18:14 pm by GlyphGryph »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 09, 2010, 09:37:49 pm »

Delete the virus. It must have a weakness of some sort! Not to mention we made it, and understand exactly how it works. In fact, modify our OS to repair whatever security holes the virus uses.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 09, 2010, 09:45:09 pm »

Indeed.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 09, 2010, 09:49:23 pm »

Word.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 09, 2010, 10:04:31 pm »

Action 24
Of course, you know the virus so well that cleaning your computer is no problem, but... but you can't let it rest there. Of course not! Your operating system has clearly proven how flawed it is, and thus you must fix it. So you settle in, and get to work.

Yes, yes... some obvious flaws here... and this can be optimized... and wow, who programmed this... and you've just realized what it is you've been missing!
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK BY INSPIRATION!
You spend god knows how long making tweaks, replacing code, optimizing bits and pieces. You get up several times to grab some food, and take short naps once or twice, but in the end you've done it up one better. Even better than your improved OS, you feel like you've gained a better understanding not just of how to write software, but rip it apart and make it so much better than it was. You run your computer through its paces, and its efficiency has been increased by nearly 50%, in addition to proving immune to every attempt you make on it to crack its flaws.

You don't know how much time has passed, but you feel like it was worth it.

you have gone up a level in Programming!
You have reached level 4 - you are now on par with the skills of those excellent programmers in the world who know this stuff inside and out - with the main difference being that you are much faster and make far fewer mistakes. You can tear code apart in moments to find its flaws, and see holes and optimization with a cursory examination. At this level, you begin to see so many of the common mistakes even good programmers do that limits the potential application of what they design - you are beginning to see the edge of what people believe is possible, and you're sure with enough effort you'll eventually be able to surpass it.

Knowledge Gained: Programming +.3

Spoiler: Schematics and Mods (click to show/hide)

You check your computer clock - its been, oh, wow. You've been working for over 30 hours, nearly nonstop.

You are content
You are extremely tired.
You are full.
TIME: 6:40am
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:25:06 pm by GlyphGryph »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 09, 2010, 10:07:02 pm »

STORM
BOTNET

MAKE IT HAPPEN
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 09, 2010, 10:07:54 pm »

Sleep.
We should go meet Nathan soon.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:20:28 pm by Cheddarius »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 09, 2010, 10:11:58 pm »

Cheeseman, we're totally awake. Look.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 09, 2010, 10:17:52 pm »

Hmm. How'd we work for 30 hours without getting tired?
Meet Nathan and try to socialize, then.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:20:38 pm by Cheddarius »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 09, 2010, 10:42:06 pm »

The power of SCIENCE obviously!

STORM
BOTNET

MAKE IT HAPPEN
We could code it, but it would take access to dedicated servers to run it and better psychology to spread it.

For now Lets check the news for any sign of our virus(sure to improve out pride) then head to the coffee shop.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 09, 2010, 10:42:36 pm »

Meet Nathan and try to socialize, then.

we have obviously had a strange mood they dont follow the same rules
and also glyph is the all mighty and all knowing gm
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 09, 2010, 11:02:55 pm »

Also, I totally forgot. Thanks for reminding me! fixed now ^_^

You are now very tired. You were... just, uh... too tired to realize it. Yeah, that's the ticket.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 09, 2010, 11:04:07 pm »

ohhh wait i see now
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:06:04 pm by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 09, 2010, 11:04:57 pm »

Also, meet nathan will be done - but he didn't come in last time till after 7:00, so if you want to do something beforehand (maybe finishing up that physics or chem skill increase) you do have time for a small project first.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 09, 2010, 11:05:59 pm »

Do not meet Nathan!

Sleep. When you wake up, if you have lots of cafe time left, meet Nathan there. If you have a bit, check on your virus and parts prices. If it's too late, study and work on designing a system to evade police (proxies, onion routers, etc.)

I don't understand how we meet Nathan. I don't remember him giving us his cell phone number. Does he stay there all day just waiting for us to grace him with our presence?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 45