Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What's Toady doing?  (Read 5430 times)

cory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's Toady doing?
« on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:45 am »

Looking at the bug tracker, he released 02 on the 8th, 03 on the 12, and started 04 immediately afterward, but then the dev log hasn't changed since then.  I heard he is working full time on this project... so is he on vacation, or does he just working on the merge and ignoring bugs for now?  Some of the military bugs, and even the ones that are already fixed in 04, are starting do drive me nuts, so I guess I am just wondering when we'll get another release.

I haven't followed this project for long, so I'm not sure whether to expect one any day now, or check back every couple weeks.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Re: What's Toady doing?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:55:47 am »

He's working on the merge. And he has fixed a number of the military and hospital bugs as well as a number of other little bugs. Like the iron - gold goblet thing. Just notmuch interesting stuff in the merge to report about.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:58:00 am »

He's working on a merge with the graphics improvements contributed by a community member (Baughn) which should speed up the game considerably for most players and add a few other nifty features like an improved keybinding menu and macros.  Check the devlog regularly.

The past few weeks have been deceptively release-filled.  Over a year passed between this version and the last major version.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 12:02:29 pm »

He's working on the merge. And he has fixed a number of the military and hospital bugs as well as a number of other little bugs. Like the iron - gold goblet thing. Just notmuch interesting stuff in the merge to report about.

The iron-gold goblet alchemy thing hasn't been fixed yet, at least according to the tracker.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 12:08:17 pm »

FYI, he did update the dev log yesterday:

by Toady One from the Development Log:
04/27/2010: I've contorted the 0.31 code to look more or less like the 40d# code, but I still need to rewrite the screens, which'll take a while (and be a source of all the merge bugs). Everything's working at a basic level though, so it looks like it'll at least go through, even if it takes a bit more time to clean it up. The rest of the game needs cleaning up anyway, so it'll fit right in. After I get the merge out, I imagine the priorities will be military/equipment bugs and merge bugs, unless something worse has crept onto the bug tracker in this time.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:41:23 pm »

I'm as eager for the bug fixes as the next DF addict, but you can't fault the man for taking his time, if that's what he's doing. He probably worked like a dog releasing 31.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:45:24 pm »

I'm as eager for the bug fixes as the next DF addict, but you can't fault the man for taking his time, if that's what he's doing. He probably worked like a dog releasing 31.

Which was likely very mentally taxing for both him and Scamps.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 04:49:27 pm »

Which was likely very mentally taxing for both him and Scamps.

Badum-tshhh

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:41:27 am »

I went and looked at Toady's latest posts and it seems he's been spending some of that time policing the forums for people acting out of line.  You know I can understand Toady wanting to work on the game by himself but surely he could find some more moderators to mind the forum for him so he doesn't have to deal with it.  (forum for 'em...*smirk*)

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:53:39 am »

I went and looked at Toady's latest posts and it seems he's been spending some of that time policing the forums for people acting out of line.  You know I can understand Toady wanting to work on the game by himself but surely he could find some more moderators to mind the forum for him so he doesn't have to deal with it.  (forum for 'em...*smirk*)
This has come up in the past. Toady One has said that it doesn't take that much time and he doesn't need any help. 

Shouldn't you be working instead of posting on the forums.   :D

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 09:55:33 am »

woo, merge!
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 10:10:10 am »

Also if memory serves, he often takes the last week of the month as a time off to work on other projects and generally refresh his mind.  I'm not saying that's what's going on right now, but I would expect him to start that again in the future. 

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 10:15:24 am »

Toady has been churning out high quality work on a steady basis for quite some time now.

I'm not sure why we keep having these threads where we question him.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

huhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 10:35:38 am »

Daily updates to the dev log is a controversial question. If there's nothing to say except "Worked on xyz today as well." for five consecutive days, does it need to get printed out? It might appease those suffering from chronic f5-itis, but it'll clutter the devlog over time like a seed stockpile with no bags.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 10:44:22 am »

I think he got tired of managing the forum though, he didn't log for more than a day.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5