Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Graphics and Tilesets.  (Read 7329 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics and Tilesets.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dyze:
<STRONG>that looks just awesome! but as toady mentioned in that other thread, i suppose its a lot of work, and will take some time..
thats why i have a quick dirty proposition to get world graphics!

simply separate what is displayed in the world and general text into 2 different font sets. that way, atleast users can create grayscale graphics, and tinker with the color settings.

like i have done here (for the previous version of df, looks a bit weird in the new one):
http://i22.tinypic.com/j7rxav.gif

[ October 30, 2007: Message edited by: dyze ]</STRONG>

dyze, this tileset works with the new version? Also where can I download it from?

Vay'lon

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »

Ah!
This Han-man's work looks fantastic!
Only, I see this raping everyone's processor.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 07:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vay'lon:
<STRONG>Ah!
This Han-man's work looks fantastic!
Only, I see this raping everyone's processor.</STRONG>

Why? Your gfx card will take care it, not your processor.
 ;)

Fortunatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

There's definitely potential in sprites, though with the sheer amount of information to convey and different creature varieties and statuses it's going to be a hard balancing act between something that looks pretty and has first-time readability ("what's that 'd' over there represent?" versus "that sprite looks like a dog") versus being functional and having real-time distinct readability ("I don't even see the numbers these days. That's a statue, that's a wall, those are tables..." versus "All the dogs look the same and I can't see them over all this brown stone anyway, and what's with that dwarf having a couple different pixels? Oh, he's starving.")

Of course, I think the much bigger issue is increasing the number of tiles on screen at a time by reducing the black space. Which is a future task, but it needs to be a priority future task. I can't really manage north-south fortresses with only 24x80 tiles.

Fortunatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

I should add that out of all the sprite sets I've seen, I prefer the dwarves and animals in the one Mayday made himself. Much more use of distinguishing color and less superfluous gradients that break up the shapes.

Vay'lon

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2007, 10:10:00 pm »

But seriously, Toady, add isometric support.

Vay'lon

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2007, 10:12:00 pm »

[ November 05, 2007: Message edited by: Vay'lon ]

Fortunatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2007, 11:35:00 pm »

Bleh, I'd rather not have to deal with isometrics. Definitely does not make looking into mountainsides very easy.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 08:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fortunatos:
<STRONG>I should add that out of all the sprite sets I've seen, I prefer the dwarves and animals in the one Mayday made himself. Much more use of distinguishing color and less superfluous gradients that break up the shapes.</STRONG>

Where can we download mayday's tileset from? or what are you talking about?

Goncyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

That art is fantastic. It would fit the game perfectly. I can deal with the current ASCII tiles, but I still look forward eagerly to the day when we have high quality art like this in DF.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by adron:
<STRONG>mike> if Hans' sprites were to go ahead, would they support dismemberment/other gore?
also, how would they represent wrestling? seems like quite a complicated system to depict accurately through sprites, especially considering different creature sizes/shapes. </STRONG>

I think if we were to have it, the first release would work just as it works now- so no depiction of dismemberment- though cleverly designed icons will help convey the creature state.
quote:
Originally posted by Fortunatos:
<STRONG>Bleh, I'd rather not have to deal with isometrics. Definitely does not make looking into mountainsides very easy.</STRONG>

By mountainsides- you mean cliffs etc.? I actually crave this idea because I think it's a much better and more convenient way of depicting elevation and buildings. Could you elaborate on your opinion? (or perhaps some ideas on how to make it better?).
quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>Where can we download mayday's tileset from? or what are you talking about?</STRONG>

My tileset is not currently usable in DF (it's 32px http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/all15.jpg  )

<3

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

Hans's example picture looks awesome.

Apart from the obvious extra work involved. The isometric view might have some problems with cliffs, walls etc obscuring view. This in turn could be solved by showing only the foundations of the walls, perhaps a bit like the empty grey tiles at the bottom of that example picture.

quote:
My tileset is not currently usable in DF (it's 32px http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/all15.jpg  )

Love the elephants. Do you do carps as well?

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

Ya see the problem with good art is that you have to pay for it.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mayday:
<STRONG>

My tileset is not currently usable in DF (it's 32px http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/files/all15.jpg  )</STRONG>

Argh....hm will it be usable someday?
  :)

[ November 06, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6