Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Graphics and Tilesets.  (Read 7330 times)

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics and Tilesets.
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2007, 08:37:00 pm »

Most ASCII games that get graphics added to them end up with very poorly drawn graphics that actually aren't any better than the original ASCII.  With a chance to get something as awesome as Hanz's work, however, I definitely think it's worth it.  If he wants payment, I'm sure a separate donation bucket could be put up so the community can pay for it.  I know I'd donate a portion.

Also, if isometric graphics are added, I would suggest the current layer movement system is kept.  Instead of the current layer being the only one displayed, the current layer could be the top one displayed.  Everything above the current layer isn't drawn, as if a big scary bird ran away with the top half of the mountain.  With that approach, the interface wouldn't need any change, and there'd be no worries of things hiding behind other things except in the case of walls, which some clever transparency code or well-designed graphics can fix.

Though, straight 30 degree degree isometrics isn't the best choice.  I think if the graphics were drawn tilted more one way than to the other, you wouldn't have the Q-bert problem when dealing with diagonal input.

Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2007, 10:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SquashMonster:
<STRONG>Also, if isometric graphics are added, I would suggest the current layer movement system is kept.  Instead of the current layer being the only one displayed, the current layer could be the top one displayed.  Everything above the current layer isn't drawn, as if a big scary bird ran away with the top half of the mountain.  With that approach, the interface wouldn't need any change, and there'd be no worries of things hiding behind other things except in the case of walls, which some clever transparency code or well-designed graphics can fix.

Though, straight 30 degree degree isometrics isn't the best choice.  I think if the graphics were drawn tilted more one way than to the other, you wouldn't have the Q-bert problem when dealing with diagonal input.</STRONG>

I actually like this idea very much. It would look REALLY good, and get rid of the problems I currently have with shifting levels to see what the heck's going on.

[ November 06, 2007: Message edited by: Explorer ]

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2007, 12:33:00 am »

Hans' tileset/logo is amazing. Here's hoping it gets put to good use.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Fortunatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

quote:
By mountainsides- you mean cliffs etc.? I actually crave this idea because I think it's a much better and more convenient way of depicting elevation and buildings. Could you elaborate on your opinion? (or perhaps some ideas on how to make it better?).

First of all, I dislike having to plot things out in isometrics; it's hard to compare square rooms and measure straight lines looking at such angles, I'm fine with navigating over them in adventure games, but I like my Fortress mode lined up.

As for looking at cliffsides, I recall one DF sprite mockup on PA showing some guards outside an entrance into a mountain, on the upper right side of the map I'm pretty sure was the case. The entrance was about two tiles wide and one tall, while the mountainside went up several levels.  Nothing else about the entrance or hall could be seen of course, because the isometric view of the mountain blocked seeing anything inside or underground. There's plenty of merit to SquashMonster's cutaway suggestion, but otherwise I'd say quite a bit of functionality could be lost for the sake of aesthetics.

Suppose the current limited 3D view utilized a tileset, skinning each square with the appropriate texture and placing a sprite of whatever object is on that square, floating sort of like a paper cutout?  If mouse-controlled camera rotation were added, you could swing the view to either isometric or bird's-eye and have the effect of either mode.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2007, 05:03:00 am »

Ah- that was my very badly done mockup based on Hans' tiles. Please disregard it.
All the time I had the system described by Squash in mind- it allows you to work on a few layers at a time (if they are above ground) and still you can hide the upper layers if you want to do something underground.
Also- since we're hoping the display code would be reorganized in the client-server manner- it really wouldn't be a problem to add the possibility of switching back to a top-down view (like now) for the design/planning purpose. I could even easily create all the necessary tiles.
<3

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2007, 09:55:00 am »

Yeah a top-down view would be awesome to have also with cool graphics.   :)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

I would love to see something like this too, but in Toady's defense, this would take a HUGE amount of re-coding.  Getting someone to do professional graphics like this is the easy part.  Actually re-writing the code to use an isometric view, I think would take a very long time (probably longer than it took for this last release).

I suggest still using the 2D screen, however, having a professional like this do his work in 2D as well.  

The Dwarf Fortress sprites would need to be greatly enlarged so to see more detail (then maybe a zoom-out feature).  This sounds much more feasible than going to isometric.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>

dyze, this tileset works with the new version? Also where can I download it from?</STRONG>

here you go:

it works ok with the new version, slight messing with the ui, but nothing game killing..
ive done some updating for the new version, but its def. not finished.
i've used herrbdogs tileset as a base, so some of the chars are still his, creds go to him for those ..

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: dyze ]

oRGy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »

Great ascii tileset, thanks!

I made some minor modifications, try this.  I mixed in a few of Herrbdog's icons and restored the full stop and comma to the interface (looks better imo - though its a matter of preference).  It works fine with the latest version for me.

In case you don't care about full stops and commas and prefer a more consistent look, then here's an alternate version:

Here are two screenshots.  The first is inside a fortress:

The second is outside:

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: oRGy ]

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

Wow, those are fantastic!  I don't think I've seen DF look so good!  Make sure it gets on the wiki.  Thanks!

Magro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2007, 04:12:00 pm »

Hi,
im a little bit new to this tileset moding.
I downloaded Dystopian Rhetoric Easy Pack with Herrbdog's fontset. Now I tried to replace the fontset with oRGys. I converted the png file to a 24Bit bmp, copied it in the art folder and replaced Herrbdogs filename in the init file:

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:400]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:herrbdogdyzemixed16x16tja7.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:400]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:herrbdogdyzemixed16x16tja7.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

But it doesnt work. I only get strange colorbars, where the text should be. Perhaps someone have some advice for me.

Sorry, for my bad english.

Magro

oRGy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »

This is my init.txt section:

[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:400]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:herrbdog_16x16_tileset.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:800]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:herrbdog_16x16_tileset.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

If the init file is ok, it could be the program changing the files to .bmp messing up the colours, maybe.

Magro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2007, 04:28:00 pm »

Thanks, the problem was MS Paint.  ;)
I used Irfanview to convert it now and it worked!

Magro

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by oRGy:
<STRONG>Great ascii tileset, thanks!

I made some minor modifications, try this.  I mixed in a few of Herrbdog's icons and restored the full stop and comma to the interface (looks better imo - though its a matter of preference).  It works fine with the latest version for me.

:(

Vay'lon

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »

I'd donate $100 (on top of the $50 I'm already donating) if Toady puts in isometric support.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6