Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Graphics and Tilesets.  (Read 7332 times)

Plac1d

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WIKI
Re: Graphics and Tilesets.
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2007, 11:07:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MickEfinn:
<STRONG>Since we have a thread about graphics n tilesets going on here I'd like to point out an interesting thought I've just had:
http://www.dragon-warrior.com/Images/Tile_Sets.shtml

while the 16 bit ones from the snes remake is kinda nice (I think it's the snes ones...Town 5 in particular plus logs from town 3, and a little from the castle...), the NES ones have me tickled in places seldom tickled.
http://www.dragon-warrior.com/Images/tileset.gif
16 pixels by 16 pixels, convert to grayscale...

hmm... Hmm... HMM...  

I'll get back to youse mugs inna bit.</STRONG>

16 bit in this style is what I personally think DF will look like in the future.

Prepare for a wacky prediction now. I think Toady will add support for every material matter to have its own graphics tile without sharing it with other materials (like how creatures are set up now). After that feature is released, Toady modifies his current system so that object/creature tiles can co-exist with material matter tiles (rock walls, grass) that makes up the background. Toady then adopts a graphics tileset created by the modding community into the game as the official graphics interface. So when all is done and complete, DF would appear like a normal 16 bit 2d game without the animated sprites.

Multiple tiles for an object's state of condition would be included as well. Use of this could be a rudimentary animation of a flickering torch or a dwarf appearing stunned by a crushing blow. Thats the vision of the future pertaining to Df's graphics - you heard it here first!

stopped aerial births

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

Actually, that doesn't sound too far fetched...

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Plac1d:
<STRONG>I think Toady will add support for every material matter to have its own graphics tile without sharing it with other materials (like how creatures are set up now). After that feature is released, Toady modifies his current system so that object/creature tiles can co-exist with material matter tiles (rock walls, grass) that makes up the background.</STRONG>
This is all I want. The community can do the rest.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2007, 09:57:00 pm »

i'm curious, for non-graphic tilesets there are square versions and rectangular. but can you have something like 16x24 graphics tilesets? just so that the game doesn't look so squashed height-wise, i currently use the dystopian rhetoric graphics with guybrush's tiles and think it would look a little better at something like 1280x600, heck with that kind of tile size, you could probably keep the dwarves at the 16x16 size and make humans and elves taller  :)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2007, 07:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty:
<STRONG>i'm curious, for non-graphic tilesets there are square versions and rectangular. but can you have something like 16x24 graphics tilesets? just so that the game doesn't look so squashed height-wise, i currently use the dystopian rhetoric graphics with guybrush's tiles and think it would look a little better at something like 1280x600, heck with that kind of tile size, you could probably keep the dwarves at the 16x16 size and make humans and elves taller   :)</STRONG>
It depends on the tileset. Markavian and others are square and don't look squashed at all.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2007, 08:30:00 am »

i guess squashed is the wrong word, with the ascii tileset i have the game res set at 800x600 and can have my monitor's res at 1152x864 and i can see it pretty good,  but 1280x400 game res at 1280x960 monitor res with graphic sets makes it harder to see, if there was a way to change the game's viewing area to something other than 80x25 tiles, maybe 70x40 would be friendlier to an 1152x864 res if it's possible maybe make it an Init setting as well to let people customize their viewing area

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

Well- yeah- that would be a huge improvement (also allowing us to use larger tilesets) but it's all the same problem- the interface is hard coded. So if things like these were to be worked on, I suppose adding isometrics wouldn't take so much time in comparison.
<3

Vay'lon

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

quote:
16 bit in this style is what I personally think DF will look like in the future.

Prepare for a wacky prediction now. I think Toady will add support for every material matter to have its own graphics tile without sharing it with other materials (like how creatures are set up now). After that feature is released, Toady modifies his current system so that object/creature tiles can co-exist with material matter tiles (rock walls, grass) that makes up the background. Toady then adopts a graphics tileset created by the modding community into the game as the official graphics interface. So when all is done and complete, DF would appear like a normal 16 bit 2d game without the animated sprites.

Multiple tiles for an object's state of condition would be included as well. Use of this could be a rudimentary animation of a flickering torch or a dwarf appearing stunned by a crushing blow. Thats the vision of the future pertaining to Df's graphics - you heard it here first!  

Yes!
Adding the ability to designate a different tile for every object is the logical first step.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2008, 12:09:00 am »

So things are on pause until then?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]