Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress in Runescape  (Read 22697 times)

Nathiuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress in Runescape
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:20 am »

Hope I don't get flamed too much for this...

Runescape's new update added in a quest.

One of the NPC's for this quest is a dwarf that makes statues of dragons out of Rubies.

The dwarf's name is Urist Loric. After I came across said dwarf, I thought it was pretty funny, but probably not in relation to the Urist we all know and love.

Part of this quest requires that you steal his amulet. After doing so, I realized it WAS a Dwarf Fortress reference:

"This amulet is made of gold. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality."

Made me laugh!

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress in Runescape
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:46:12 am »

Runescape just earned three levels of respect from me, bringing it to a total of two levels of respect.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:01:55 am »

Runescape just earned three levels of respect from me, bringing it to a total of two levels of respect.
Wow, yours is in the positive end of the scales???
After hearing from ALL my friends giving the same excuse for not wanting to try X Games. The excuse being, 'But you can do that in Runescape...' Runescape is still in the Negatives for me, prob will be for a Long Long time. But it did just get plus 1 or 2 points for me aswell...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:31:26 am »

After hearing from ALL my friends giving the same excuse for not wanting to try X Games. The excuse being, 'But you can do that in Runescape...' Runescape is still in the Negatives for me, prob will be for a Long Long time. But it did just get plus 1 or 2 points for me aswell...
So you dislike it because it's a varied and robust engine? I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons to dislike runescape, but that really doesn't strike me as one.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 04:45:30 am »

I don't care about Runescape but is it hard to use a Search button, seriously?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55829.0
::)

It's even on the same forum page!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 05:01:33 am »

So you dislike it because it's a varied and robust engine? I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons to dislike runescape, but that really doesn't strike me as one.
Its more of the fact that people are unable to look at other games with different ways...
Imagine if you explained Dwarf Fortress to someone who would give it a go. But would only reply, But you can do that in Runescape, whats the point...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Nathiuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:33:12 am »

I don't care about Runescape but is it hard to use a Search button, seriously?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55829.0
::)

It's even on the same forum page!

Aren't my cheeks red.

To be honest, I didn't see it on the first page, I didn't bother looking older in part because the update was so recent.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:11:15 pm »

Its more of the fact that people are unable to look at other games with different ways...
Imagine if you explained Dwarf Fortress to someone who would give it a go. But would only reply, But you can do that in Runescape, whats the point...
If you can't supply a good answer to that, then the person you're talking to is right.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:47:28 pm »

Seriously, yeah. If everything in a game you can do just as amusingly in Runescape, play Runescape. But that's simply not the case. There are vast, vast amounts of games that are nothing like Runescape. Can you manage resources and dwarves to fend off attacks while maintaining a food supply and even engraving/decorating lavish noble rooms in Runescape? Can you evolve a small bacterium to a civilization spanning many galaxies in Runescape? Can you enjoy FPS-style team battles with diverse weapons in Runescape?

That being said, I do find Runescape pretty amusing for a few hours until you run out of the free quests. I especially like the complex craft system.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:52:58 pm »

I wasted enough of my life to get to level 46 on Runescape.

On the plus side, it immunized me against Worldofwarcraftitis.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 10:31:02 pm »

Then you show them Flarechannel. No way that would ever be possible in Runescape.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:27:01 am »

Then you show them Flarechannel. No way that would ever be possible in Runescape.

Or Razorlength

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 12:38:21 am »

I wasted enough of my life to get to level 46 on Runescape.
Time that you enjoy wasting is not wasted.
Now, if you played it even though it was boring, then it was wasted.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:42:06 am »

If you played it even though it was boring, then you're an idiot.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 12:44:55 am »

Seriously, yeah. If everything in a game you can do just as amusingly in Runescape, play Runescape. But that's simply not the case. There are vast, vast amounts of games that are nothing like Runescape. Can you manage resources and dwarves to fend off attacks while maintaining a food supply and even engraving/decorating lavish noble rooms in Runescape? Can you evolve a small bacterium to a civilization spanning many galaxies in Runescape? Can you enjoy FPS-style team battles with diverse weapons in Runescape?

That being said, I do find Runescape pretty amusing for a few hours until you run out of the free quests. I especially like the complex craft system.

The members quests are fantastic, and and a million times better and alost like 10X as many. Though you have to get members to do them...Though it is cheap.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.
Pages: [1] 2