Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] A stone/no-stone toggle  (Read 1764 times)

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SUGGESTION] A stone/no-stone toggle
« on: April 29, 2010, 05:28:47 am »

If theres one thing that gets on my nerves is that my legendary miners tend to produce WAYYYYY too much stone from mining to the point my stockpiles overflow and theres a massive bag-log of stone that my masons can't even dent. So what I propose is a switch on miners that simply toggles saving rocks and not saving rocks. Not being when they mine they dont produce stones. Simple and efficient.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SUGGESTION] A stone/no-stone toggle
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 06:21:19 am »

Suggested before. Not very realistic, mining does tend to produce garbage stone. Being able to load it into wagons and dump it off-map would be useful and makes more sense. Wagons can carry a lot of stone at once judging by the trade capacity value.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00:47 am »

Meh, dealing with this problem is fun, and known to cause FUN if your trying to use magma. Why take out a perfectly good feature?

If its that bad then just get the dangerous mining mod and have your miners die off every now and then.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 09:08:20 pm »

The chance of leaving behind stone increases with the skill of the miner, and decreases with hunger/thirst/etc, so with that context it makes sense to have an option to not produce stone.  Now if something was always left behind, and mining skill increased the chance of it being usable stone rather than useless rubble, then it wouldn't make sense to turn off stone production.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 10:47:05 pm »

Yeah, better idea, a failed mining check produces "rubble".
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Canuhearmenow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 01:43:27 am »

If theres one thing that gets on my nerves is that my legendary miners tend to produce WAYYYYY too much stone from mining to the point my stockpiles overflow and theres a massive bag-log of stone that my masons can't even dent. So what I propose is a switch on miners that simply toggles saving rocks and not saving rocks. Not being when they mine they dont produce stones. Simple and efficient.

There's your problem.

Dwarves love rocks, but they hate stone stockpiles, just let them be where they lay.

jfsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 10:39:43 pm »

How about just an option in the init to have all stones (or only non-economic stone) start hidden?   I usually end up hiding my stone anyway, because it looks so much nicer, but it's a pain...