Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megaconstruction: Fortress Impenetrable  (Read 3791 times)

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megaconstruction: Fortress Impenetrable
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:43:32 pm »

Thinking about proposed tunneling enemies, I was thinking about a way to make the most absolutely secure fortress, even from other dwarfs. Obviously, being able to build up as well as tear down means any fortress is doomed; and flying, magma-immune building destroyers would of course cause problems as well, but this should stop anything short of that. I might eventually make this, but honestly am probably too lazy, so this is more of a suggestion type dealy. :P

Grey = Stairs, or tubes... or... any magma-covered support, really. :P
Blue = Bridge.
Black = Wall.
Red = Magma <3.

EDIT: ... come to think of it, single-pillar supports sitting in a flooded pool of lava would really solve the problem a lot easier, even if magmafalls are cooler defences. D'oh.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:51:52 pm by Solace »

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megaconstruction: Fortress Impenetrable
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 05:06:39 pm »

Oh, man. Now I want to try to literally suspend a fortress in a massive pool of magma. Surrounded by magma on the top, sides, and bottom. Obviously, getting in and out out would be be a bit tricky, but it could be done with some appropriately placed floodgates and pumps.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:10:11 pm »

Tunnelling enemies are going to be a massive revolution in DF, the old drawbridge defences will only work for so long, and when a bunch of goblin thieves tunnel straight into your vault, you're going to be pretty irate.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:25:29 pm »

Tunnelling enemies are going to be a massive revolution in DF, the old drawbridge defences will only work for so long, and when a bunch of goblin thieves tunnel straight into your vault, you're going to be pretty irate.

When I first played DF, I was digging my fortress into a mountain, and I got worried when digging too close to the outside because there were groundhogs outside and I thought they might be able to dig away a tile or two and expose my fortress with another entrance.  That's how it should be!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:46:27 pm »

you're fort won't die because of a highly co-ordinated team of goblin sappers, but because you forgot to wall off one of the 20 holes those stupid groundhogs made
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:21:54 pm »

Sure.  Let them tunnel.  Lets see how they handle the giant slab of steel I sank into the ground to defeat tunneling efforts.  Heck, Egypt was considering doing it to stop smuggling in/out of Gaza.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 06:41:39 pm »

I'm going to use glass walls just so my dwarfs can point and laugh at the silly goblins digging efforts; silly goblins, can live forever but not figure out how to dig through stone or break glass; this is with the hope that they can't figure out rock
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 06:49:23 pm »

I don't like the idea of enemies being able to tunnel through anything.  I do, however, like the old Dungeon Keeper idea of enemies being able to tunnel in through rough stone, but not through fortified walls.

That, and the possibility of aquatic / magma critters tunneling in and flooding your fort just seems evil.  Although, so does the idea of creating 'magma layers' around the outside of a fort to counter-flood burrowing attackers.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 07:26:26 pm »

Worse, tunneling enemies accidently hitting the Adamantium vien. And then hell itself.

THAT would be horrifying.

Personally, I would prefer tunneling enemies to be an option. Like the other major options and such that way if its too much of an obnoxious thing, one could just turn it off.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 08:40:33 pm »

Coming up with a plan to overcome pathing obstacles to reach fortress innards

* Ability to dig (optionally, default on)
From the dev page
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 09:21:15 pm »

maybe make it so they can go through certain types of walls, like they can go through rough stone walls, but not walls made of blocks or bars
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 10:33:43 pm »

Its something I'd definitely end up turning off. I hate the idea of attackers digging. After only a few years the entire embark area will look like swiss cheese from all of the digging.  :(

Also I never seal up my fortress. The front door is always wide open. Any invader is welcome to test my military and my traps. I also prefer not to use weapon traps except in very remote, seldom used areas of my fortress, like the little fishing pond. There are a few weapon and cage traps there to protect the fisherdwarves. The main pathways are never trapped with weapon or cage traps. Spike traps are fine. Bridge traps are fine. So are magma, water, and pit traps.

Gotta give them a fighting chance at least.