Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea for a trap  (Read 3455 times)

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Idea for a trap
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:43:13 pm »

So I have this crazy idea for a trap.  Assuming you were in a freezing biome, or a cold one in winter, you could make a room which floods full of water, underground so it doesn't freeze, and then have a bunch of floor hatches up above which open up, revealing the water to the air and freezing it.  You could have your own goblin or elf popsicles!  Of course, it is untested.  I'm not sure if the floor hatches would stop the water from freezing, as I have very little experience with those areas.  Does anyone think/know if this would work?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for a trap
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 04:50:26 pm »

I guess you're not familiar with the Degrinchinator.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 04:54:41 pm »

It has been suggested before, and the main issue with your design is that hatches do not prevent water from freezing. However, flowing magma on the z-level below will keep water liquid. Basically, operate it as a normal drowning trap with a layer of 6.5/7 magma below it. Enemies walk through, you flood the room, then you remove the magma from below. The water freezes, put the magma back, pump out room, claim goblinite.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:56:54 pm »

or I could have it already frozen, they walk over it, I add the magma and drown them all.  Sure it won't be an instant kill, but it could be interesting.  I could make the now liquid water flow into some death trap or something.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 06:16:28 pm »

or I could have it already frozen, they walk over it, I add the magma and drown them all.  Sure it won't be an instant kill, but it could be interesting.  I could make the now liquid water flow into some death trap or something.
it can fail in too many places, just magma, just drowning chamber/flow, or just magma dump all work but they won't be in semi-working order without huge amounts of science
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

NieXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • NieXS' Domain
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:45:35 pm »

Tangentially related: what's the minimum depth for water to freeze when exposed to air in a freezing biome? And what's the maximum pathable water height?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:59:49 pm »

just wondering, after looking at the movie..

what happens when they freeze? i know they die, but do they just dissapear or.. die..?

because i was wondering what would happen if you mine a tile with a fronze bronze colossus in it
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:11:09 pm »

Tangentially related: what's the minimum depth for water to freeze when exposed to air in a freezing biome? And what's the maximum pathable water height?
1 makes a floor, more makes a wall.

Ice is an insta-kill and the victim is counted as being under the ice, melting or digging them is always successful.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 09:26:42 pm »

Additional question: can you build supports on (temporarily) frozen water, and if so, profit.

edit: added clarity
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 09:33:24 pm »

Frozen water whether its temporary or not is buildable on... at least till it melts again. Though your stuff unless supported elsewhere will collapse once the ice thaws.

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 10:55:46 pm »

I believe that was his intention, to build supports that will collapse come spring as some form a trap? Or have a just gone a bit urist ^^
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 12:08:00 am »

I believe that was his intention, to build supports that will collapse come spring as some form a trap? Or have a just gone a bit urist ^^
Profit!

Though I'm no Elf. I wasn't exactly planning on waiting for the seasons.

**Njero cancels edit post, constructing screw pump.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:10:13 am by njero »
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!