Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Do you think hell has too many demons? (SPOILERS!!!)  (Read 48108 times)

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think hell has too many demons? (SPOILERS!!!)
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 05:41:02 pm »

That explains the problems they're having with that oil rig leak they have in the Gulf. (:P)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 08:21:26 pm »

A brief note on the infinite demons versus finite dwarves problem:  There is no problem.  Dwarves are infinite, you see.  In fact, dwarves are the only known infinitely populous species.  Even if they are driven extinct in worldgen, the player can spontaneously generate new dwarves (seven at a time).  If their civilization survives worldgen, your fortress will also spontaneously generate waves of immigrants.  If demons are finite, then surely any sufficiently determined dwarven civilization will defeat them eventually.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 08:34:20 pm »

Putting "SPOILERS!!!" in the title is a bit redundant if the title also mentions hell and demons...

Emphasis.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2010, 12:28:07 am »

The poor bookkeeper dwarf would die of old age before he got even a tenth of the way.
Give him [SPEED:1] and pray for miracles.

Dzenaiya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2010, 03:11:50 am »

Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
What's infinity minus one? Minus ten? Minus a thousand? Minus a million?

Infinity is still infinity.

But it's a smaller infinity.  The ultimate goal of any proper dwarf is to whittle down the infinite until it's manageable.  This endeavor has produced some familiar results: Planepacked was an attempt to model and comprehend infinity; Dwarves have learned how to use an entire tree to make the tiniest of objects and leave no remains; they build statues of flies; quantum stockpiling; even mining itself is a reflection of this drive.

Suffice it to say: Dwarves of all civilizations are determined to conquer the infinite. Planepacked is not a recursive statue, it is a singularity contained within artistry... They can fit an entire mountain range of stone, ores, gems and corpses in the space a single dwarf occupies when lying down.

Infinite Demons versus seven stalwart dwarves. The odds favor the dwarves for winning in the end.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2010, 04:29:48 am »

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried simply genning a world with no demon species in it? I'm about to give it a shot, see what happens.

Results?:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2010, 04:40:05 am »

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried simply genning a world with no demon species in it? I'm about to give it a shot, see what happens.

Results?:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In one of the HFS research threads, it was mentioned that setting demon species to 0 didn't have any effect?

If it does, then that seems a bit too easy...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 04:44:49 am »

There's some wonky pathing stuff going on at the moment (probably due to usin' reveal to shorten the breaching process), so I'm trying again at another embark, but I was able to shift all the wagon's starting junk into a stockpile sitting on top of slade without anything popping out of pits to try and eat me, just now. So... it seems to be just that easy? I ganked the titans too, might have had something to do with it.

EDIT: Huh. You can smooth and engrave slade. Kinda' strange a barehanded engraver can manage that when a steel-pick armed miner mostly can't touch the stuff.

EDIT II: Yeah, no demons are showing up at the second (non-reveal) site. Had my dwarves sit around for a season in their little adamantine house, nothin' happened. Time to get an adventurer down here.

EDIT III: So that's what happens when you jump into a glowing pit...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 05:23:21 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

armadilloHD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 05:15:57 am »

Too many demons?  You guys need to watch the ending of the "Berserk" anime.

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 07:26:01 am »

Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

This is how I imagine you now. Except shorter, with a viking helmet, and the wasp nest between your teeth is adamantine dripping with magma.
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45:40 am »

Wouldn't it be great to get an unkillable forgotten beast to fight infinite demons?

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 07:54:43 am »

Wouldn't it be great to get an unkillable forgotten beast to fight infinite demons?

WHY DID IT TAKE US SO LONG TO REALIZE THIS

YSomeone must build a fortress dedicated to collecting unkillables; Bronze Collosi, Lapis Lazuli FBs, and maybe we can drop back to 31.02 and get skeletons and zombies.

Then you open hell.  Lock one singular dwarf away where he can never be reached, for science, so that pathfinding doesn't die.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 08:10:39 am »

YSomeone must build a fortress dedicated to collecting unkillables; Bronze Collosi, Lapis Lazuli FBs, and maybe we can drop back to 31.02 and get skeletons and zombies.

Then you open hell.  Lock one singular dwarf away where he can never be reached, for science, so that pathfinding doesn't die.
It must be done. Who's going to try it?
They started to collide~

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 09:26:33 am »

It must be done. Who's going to try it?

I would, but after ~1.5 years of playing I haven't managed to master pumping or cave-in traps, so...
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 09:38:36 am »

I have a new defense of the numbers.

All dwarves are, at their core, Don Quixotes.  They will fight a battle that they will lose, so long as they feel they have a duty to.  We are ourselves Don Quixotes.  We build these big blocks (megaconstructions) and claim that they are statues, and no one except those with our particular brand of madness can recognize them as such.

The game cannot be won, and we continue to struggle with it.  Hell cannot be conquered, yet Dwarves continue to charge into it and engrave the walls.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9