Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings Online - Laurelin ( EU-RP )  (Read 4184 times)

Pathos

Lord of the Rings Online - Laurelin ( EU-RP )
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:13:42 pm »

So, yeah, I just started playing Lord of the Rings Online, and it's pretty decent. Got myself into a nice Dwarf-only guild ( Baruk Khazad, pronounced BAH-RUUUCK KHA-ZAAAAAAD! ) and I was hoping to find a few more DFers to join me, and maybe form up our own little dwarven guild.

I mean, come on, do you think these pansy Middle-Earth dwarves could stand up to OUR sensibilities? I really doubt it!

The game itself is pretty fun, it's very book-esque ( it's more about the journey than where you end up ), there's actually not that much grind, except for a few deeds ( what you use to get traits, basically passive abilities ) and the world itself is very vibrant, although the dwarven starting zone is pretty dull compared to the Shire. The game's also pretty group orientated, and lots of stuff can be done a lot faster and with the same amount of reward in a group, but it's still easy to solo. The crafting's also interesting, especially farming. You can grow and cook your own food, as well as "pipe-weed" ( I know ).

So, join me! Laurelin ( EU server, damn Americans won't accept my debit card ), my name is Thulkan. I'm a dwarf guardian. ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:16:33 pm by Pathos »

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Rings Online - Laurelin ( EU-RP )
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:20:40 pm »

Tell me mmoooaaarrr...

Pathos

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:25:51 pm »

Tell me mmoooaaarrr...

What would you like to know? ;D

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:42:14 pm »

Lol someone else madea  thread about this like a week or two ago, signed up for the trial and thought it was fun, though I ended up always playing by myself which was boring.

Had a dwarf minstrel... Loved the music system in this game. :D

Pathos

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:45:19 pm »

Lol someone else madea  thread about this like a week or two ago, signed up for the trial and thought it was fun, though I ended up always playing by myself which was boring.

That was me. I tried to keep playing, but the US doesn't like UK cards. >.>

And, yeah, I've been playing music on my horn. I sound better when I don't try to do a tune.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:49:31 pm »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:47 pm »

That was me. I tried to keep playing, but the US doesn't like UK cards. >.>

And, yeah, I've been playing music on my horn. I sound better when I don't try to do a tune.
I have some good memories of having a band with a friend whom I had known since like level 15 when we joined the same kin. We would randomly break out into song, him a dwarf with a horn and me an elf with a lute/drums, from the Great Barrow to Carn Dum. Fun, fun game.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 07:55:41 pm »

Music System? Whats that? How does crafting work? Is it just your standard MMO affair? Whats combat like? Could a monkey replicate the results? Are there any non-combat skills? Again, whats this music system? Anything really special, like some unique feature I can't think of? What are the classes like? Am I still asking questions? Shouldn't I just read a wiki? Well, I guess I have a habit of not trusting wikis that are run by the people who make the game. Is this a wrong opinion? Is that *really* butter?

Pathos

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:01:40 pm »

Music System? Whats that? How does crafting work? Is it just your standard MMO affair? Whats combat like? Could a monkey replicate the results? Are there any non-combat skills? Again, whats this music system? Anything really special, like some unique feature I can't think of? What are the classes like? Am I still asking questions? Shouldn't I just read a wiki? Well, I guess I have a habit of not trusting wikis that are run by the people who make the game. Is this a wrong opinion? Is that *really* butter?

Music system example: Playing Ghostbuster's Themetune, Playing Freebird. I think Minstrels HAVE you use it in order to do their healing stuff.

Crafting is sort of standard, but all the crafting professions are heavily interconnected, and so you do need other players in order to max out. You can also make "better than standard" products by using rare items.

Combat's pretty decent, it needs quite a bit of forethought, especially with the more complex classes - like Wardens. You should probably check the wiki for classes etc.

Non-combat skills, I don't think so. Half of farming allows you to grow pipe-weed which you can smoke, and mastering the game's instruments is pretty hard. There're also pretty silly quests, like you getting turned into a chicken and having to explore the entire world.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:30:35 pm »

Nah, minstrels dont need to use the music system, you just click the button for heal (or whatever other ability you're using) and it pulls out whatever instrument you have equiped for a little animation and does the effect.

Minstrels just get to use ALL the instruments I think, where other classes are limited to only a couple.

Pathos

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 08:32:23 pm »

Oh, and Turbine really do think of the little things. Like you're able to wear any clothing you like in a "cosmetic item set" and layer that over your normal armour, after level 20 ( on your first character, after that you're able to do it on any character you like ), so you can make yourself not look like the usual clown crew you see in other games.

Oh, and I just found out the equipment I've crafted ( second "tier" of crafting, I got criticals, though, which means they're better than normal ) will last me up 'til level 30-odd quest rewards. I can probably replace it with crafted gear before then, but there'll be no point.

fenrif, join me on EU?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 08:36:32 pm »

I would but I dont have a subscription, and have no money to pay for one. :P

Pathos

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 09:07:51 pm »

There's also a 14 day free trial: http://www.lotro-europe.com/free-trial.php

That's actually longer than the US one.

Pathos

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 03:15:48 am »

Bump!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 10:49:51 am »

Music system example: Playing Ghostbuster's Themetune, Playing Freebird. I think Minstrels HAVE you use it in order to do their healing stuff.

Quote from: Guitar Hero 3(?)
They don't really want you to play "Freebird", they're just heckling you.
Actually, that sounds better than the orignal Freebird.

Mabinogi has a similar music system. You type a simple script using a Music Score(your Music Composition skill determine how long the song can be). Unfortunately, there's no group play, unless the players time it exactly right, and even then I'm not sure it works(since playing music shuts off the background, I'm not sure how two people playing works).

LotRO does it better, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: [1] 2