Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ivory?  (Read 1606 times)

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ivory?
« on: September 06, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »

Is there any way to get ivory from elephants? Or pearls from mussles etc.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ivory?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 06:53:00 pm »

My guess would be extraction.

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 07:13:00 pm »

Sadly it's not that easy. The only (land) animal related extraction option is at the butcher's shop and that only seems to work with living small animals (cave spiders, fire snakes etc.), definitly not with dead large ones. I never managed to catch an elephant (or other ivory bearing animal)in a trap, so I don't know if you can extract from them when they're alive, though this would be strange. The same is true for seafood: you can buy enough dead mussles from the traders, but can't extract from them.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 10:59:00 pm »

I thought it came from elephant bones, perhaps?
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 01:52:00 am »

Elephant bones are made from Ivory just like dwarven bones are made from Ivory :P
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Lurve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 02:10:00 am »

Well, I was playing an outside map in a sinister area, training a bunch of elephant hunters anyway, so after the tragic loss of half a dozen dumbass dwarves who chose to walk through a hallway crowded with elephants to loot the body of the dumbass human caravan guard who chased them there in the first place...

:D

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 02:25:00 am »

Extract jobs only work on corpses, I think...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

SynthOrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 03:32:00 am »

That'll be 'Tame large animal'

Infornography

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 04:23:00 am »

Just add [TRAINABLE] into the raw and it should work.

Lurve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 05:02:00 am »

Hrm...  I'll give that a shot.  I'm a little more leery of war elephants now though - during transport to the zoo one "tamed" elephant broke free and went on a rampage.  He killed two (more) dwarves before my archers were forced to put him down - as a "pet" he no longer tripped cage traps, so recapture was not an option.  I shudder at the thought of what an elephant with twice the muscle can do before an archer is lucky enough to peg him in the throat.

Incidentally, I stumbled upon an easy way to acquire large amounts of elephants to train.  Use channels to make a comb or sawtooth pattern through territory elephants regularly traverse, and set it up so the only dry route to one side of the comb passes through a tunnel dug into the mountain.  When elephants encounter the comb, they'll most likely want to move from one side to the other, which because of poor pathing funnels them into the mountainside and your waiting cage traps.

Question: is there an "empty cage" command I'm missing somewhere?  Because elephant training involves feeding them, I've got four cages that are now useless because of plump helmet seeds left in the bottom.  And with 4-6 elephants charging headlong into my base every couple of minutes, I need them.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 05:15:00 pm »

q, assign cage, there should be an animal at the top of the list with a yellow + next to it.  Select (unselect, rather) it, and a "Release Large Creature" job will get added to the jobs list.

This is not obvious at all; for the longest time, I thought you had to connect up levers to every cage and pull the lever each time you wanted to release an animal.

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 05:44:00 pm »

Hm, now, last time I checked plump helmed seeds didn't really qualify as animals   ;)
I think emptying a cage is indeed a missing functionality right now, and I fear there's nothing to be done with those spoiled caged but throwing them in the chasm or a furnace.