Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are dragons so easy to kill?  (Read 807 times)

The butcher

• Bay Watcher
  • \M/ Horns up brothers...horns up.
    • View Profile
Why are dragons so easy to kill?
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:59:50 am »

im not even trained in dodging or shields,yet i block or dodge all of their attacks [yes even breath attacks]
And they go down too fast.So is this a glitch or somthing?

I have only fought 2 dragons though....

I have now fought 4 dragons they are far too easy.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 03:27:50 am by The butcher »
Take a look to the sky just before you die it's the last time he will!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are dragons so easy to kill?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 02:06:49 am »

No, it's just for some reason it's quite easy to block their fire attacks. As for getting up close and personal, claw'n'sword I'm not sure. Perhaps you're just getting lucky each time.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:16:42 am »

I one-hit killed a dragon by cutting its head off with an axe. Dragons are way too weak in adventure mode.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:39:49 am »

I one-hit killed a dragon by cutting its head off with an axe. Dragons are way too weak in adventure mode.

EVERYTHING is too weak in Adventure Mode! EVEN GCS!

Hugna

• Bay Watcher
  • Till the Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:22:55 pm »

I killed a hydra at the start. I barely trained most my skills, and i killed a DEMON.

Adventure mode isn't an adventure anymore when you become "INSTANTLY A MEGABEAST ITSELF". Seriously, it's like you're a megabeast when you start. Hell, if you went on a killing spree on every single town, noone could stop you. Unless you didn't train a bit. Max dodging and blocking = killing everyone.

Now... things used to be tough in 40d. You couldn't beat megabeasts on your own nomatter what. He made them weak enough for anyone to kill.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 04:01:19 pm »

I killed a hydra at the start. I barely trained most my skills, and i killed a DEMON.

Adventure mode isn't an adventure anymore when you become "INSTANTLY A MEGABEAST ITSELF". Seriously, it's like you're a megabeast when you start. Hell, if you went on a killing spree on every single town, noone could stop you. Unless you didn't train a bit. Max dodging and blocking = killing everyone.

Now... things used to be tough in 40d. You couldn't beat megabeasts on your own nomatter what. He made them weak enough for anyone to kill.

That isn't all true.

I remember killing a Bronze Colossus and a skeletal dragon in .40d with a copper spear.  Now they are nearly unkillable.  Most of your complaints should probably be directed at the damage mechanics.

Chiefly, how quickly it is possible to bleed out and how easily it can be to de-limb an opponent.  The central problem is the main way to kill something is by causing them to bleed to death (as opposed to massive organ trauma) and bleeding doesn't scale well relative to size.  The end result is if you can't either cut someone in half, decapitate them, or crush their brain, then the only way to kill them is by causing them to bleed to death, which makes it possible to kill a dragon by cutting off it's toes....

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »

I think it's because of the kind of wonky materiel values for alot of natural materiel used for claws and teeth.  that stuff can barely cut skin, let alone get through real armor.  When up against something huge like a dragon it still can't get through the armor.  Though admittedly if finally wouldn't do too badly against an unarmored opponent at that size.

At the same time though, an iron bladed weapon tears through everything a dragon is made of like a hot knife through butter.

Heres an arena combat log as an example.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dragon didn't hurt me...at all.  I moved out of the way of the fire, and it couldn't bite through my plain iron armor.  Thats with my typical skills for a STARTING adventurer. Proficient sword, proficient armor user, competent wrestler.

Oh and also note that a red dragon is basically just the vanilla dragon recolored and with wings added.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:16:42 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:19:13 pm »

There is something very wrong in adventure mode. I played a fortress for 10 years and my captain of guard had more than 100 named kills - he was legendary, had steel and bronze armor, and a steel axe. Then I encountered him in adventure mode. I thought  he would kill me with one blow, as my adventurer was a new, untrained one...and I killed him with one blow. A legendary dwarf. Steel clad... more than one hundred kills.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 08:14:54 pm »

Things made of flesh are easy to kill. Things that aren't aren't. Except for fleshballs, which aren't, and powder/liquid monsters, which are.

Also if magma is the dwarven equivalent of the nuke, then axes are the dwarven equivalent of the jet-mounted tank-melting laser cannon at the moment.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 09:14:51 pm »

Someone pointed out that possibly due to an oversight, teeth, claws, scales, shell, and hooves have the same impact values as skin. That's right, you currently have soft teeth. If you want to make Dragons tougher, give scales impact values similar to iron, then you'll have a much harder time hurting them.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."