Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved Farming 2.0 (Bickering forbidden!)  (Read 4103 times)

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Improved Farming 2.0 (Bickering forbidden!)
« on: April 30, 2010, 02:34:47 am »

I apologize if this pisses anyone off, but 27 pages of the original thread shows a large percentage of those pages being bickering about something. I got bored reading it and it is daunting to people who are actually interested in the logistics of this topic.

Preface:
Andeerz and I were discussing stuff around pages 25 through 27 of the original thread. He posed that we have a more "realistic" representation of land with fixed tile sizes (proposed 2m by 2m) which would result in roughly 35000 tiles of farm to feed 200 dwarves. We both ended up agreeing this was crazy. What follows is a summation of my point, which contain a bit of logistics on why I believe that realistic, fixed tile sizes will not be practical with the way DF is designed right now. Proposing implementation of it would likely involve bringing up the dreaded multi-threading discussions, as well.

Rules:
No bickering. This is about improving farming in the context of Dwarf Fortress. This is the OP. It sets the rules and I would like you to abide by them. Follow the forum guidelines and please, for the love of goddess, do not discuss multi-threading in any other way than mentioning it in passing or in very close relationship with optimization that a proposed idea would require, sort of like my refutation of realistic tile sizes. This is not the place to discuss politics or communal farming versus capitalistic farming. Again, this is about improving farming in the context of Dwarf Fortress. This is the same Dwarf Fortress where errant nobles get regularly tossed into chasms, crushed under bridges, mauled by elephants, or otherwise mangled, maimed, deprived of necessities, or destroyed. Nobles, if you weren't sure, are the politicians of Dwarf Fortress. Do I make myself clear? If you see someone breaking these rules then, for the love of Urist, follow the guidelines. Seriously. I don't want this thread getting locked for any of that, "Oh, I'm so reporting you!" post bullcrap. Like, for reals guys. That isn't cool.

I would like to request that any post carried over from the prior thread be done so in a handy spoiler box to encourage new discussion and to make sure we don't clutter the new thread with all sorts of quotes. Please edit or include relevant quotes so your post-carry-over makes the most sense possible. I will start by carrying over my posts as well as a post of Andeerz's (and, by quoting proxy, Draco's) as it was sandwiched in between two of my tl;dr posts. ;)

Andeerz and other intelligent respondents (especially the big contributors to the original thread), feel free to carry over topical posts of yours! I'm eager to see where we can take this so, maybe, we can help do some of the planning for this! If you're especially awesome, by the way, and feel like skimming the old thread for the best and most beautiful ideas, then please bring them over here! Again, spoiler box them and include relevant quotes and edits so they confuse as little as possible.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming 2.0 (Bickering forbidden!)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 03:08:44 am »

I'd personally like to see a soil quality check applied to farming, so you'd have to use crop rotation if you want to grow year round (though you would still get diminishing gains the longer you do it, even with fertilizer).

Basic Idea:

Each tile has it's own special quality check when used as a farm plot. This check will range from barren (-5) to Lush (+5), and is mostly just an indicator of how well your crops/plants will grow. When you make a farm, it could combine the scores(a 2x2 plot could have a +5,+3,-5,-4. This would result in a total -1 modifier for anything you plant in this farm plot).

Of course, plant preferences are also in order as well, which will still be restricted to indoor/outdoor types as before, but each plant type would have it's own "preferred" zone to be farmed in. An example of this, would be Plump Helmets desiring a -2 quality farm plot for optimum growth, where you would get less if the plot was -3 or -4 and -1 to 1 ( a 3 point range, where -5 counts as a tile where nothing can grow regardless). For a second example, let us say Pig Tails need a modifier of +4 to be at optimum growth, which means it could work on any plot that isn't lower then a 1.

Example of how the quality levels would effect the farming (before dwarf farming skill is taken into account):

+4 Quality Farm Plot      = 4 Pig Tails
+1 Quality Farm Plot      = 1 Pig Tails
+5/+3 Quality Farm Plot  = 3 Pig Tails

and so forth.

Using a plot 2 times without it being fallow between seeding periods would result in a quality loss of 1. If you use Potash, you can give the plot 1 more season before it loses the quality point. Potash can also add an artificial point as well, to temporarily increase a plots quality value for ONLY the next season, so even if you end up in a horrible place, you have some leeway in what/where you can place crops, and for those who are anal about it, optimize your crop output.

In essence, you would have to expand your farming operations, with the new upkeep involved, as you get more dwarfs to feed, however the entire system can be automated pretty easily (since you can already set seasonal planting orders and the like).

How does this sound?

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 03:18:49 am »

I like that idea, it ties in well to the "wanting more food later, but not needing it early on" idea. Early on, low quality soil might not matter as in real botany some plants just don't give a crap. I think there should be some plants that "drain" nutrients more than others, while others might make for good rotary crops. I think instead of having each plant have their own quality of soil they "prefer" and anything out of that range is bad, just have some more picky than others. Instead of having a -5 to +5 system, just make it into a 0 to 10 system, where 0 means that nothing can grow (barren rock). 1 to 4 would be akin to irrigating and muddying the rock. 5 to 10 is full on soiling the rock, which is something that I think should be an option. Underground plants may be able to grow on muck covered rock, but they likely can grow even better in soil-coated rock... Or at least thicker muck. The number would be roughly equivalent to the amount of available nutrients. Plump helmets could grow in 1 and better soil, pig tails 3 and better, quarry bushes might require a 4 to 5 and what have you...

This way you don't have to micromanage as much to keep the soil quality hovering around the optimum, you just need to make sure it's at least at (or ideally above) the optimum.

Another thing is winter. Most aboveground plants should not be plantable in winter. Berries and grasses especially. Trees should also not regrow in winter.
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

SlipshodDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:34:53 am »

Yes, that does sound reasonable, especially the winter crops part (particularly for above ground ones). Mostly despite being poorly planned out on my part, i figured it would help lend towards an actual 'need' for the use of potash in an extensive farming system rather then just as an output enhancer.

Hopefully, if the quality system can be managed right, you should in theory need to increase your farm plot counts as your fortress increases, and with improper management (using the same area too much for the most part, not counting any other potential factors like megabeasts taking a walk through them) you could be in serious trouble once your Fortress gets to a larger size.

My only concern is that it might cause farming to have too much priority from the labor pool (i.e. needing more farmers total), and lowering the ratio of farmers-food too much

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:51:15 am »

w00t!!!  Awesome. 

So, here's my suggestion paraphrased from my post in the other thread.  I understand many won't like it and think it's absurd.  But I think it would be doable in the future after certain things planned by Toady are met.  ALSO: It does NOT require defined tile sizes.  Think of it as a change in how many tiles it takes to make a farm, not a proposal for fixed tile sizes which I agree (for reasons Zombie said) would be a major headache to implement...

Basically, it's the only way I could think of how to implement sorta "realistic" farm sizes.  It could still work even without fixed tile dimensions.  It could even build off of Zombie's suggestions.  I think it's cool and doable.

"Realistic" Farming with "Realistic" Land Requirements:

Prereqs:  Core28 (CONTROL OF TERRITORY AND EXTERNAL LOCATIONS), Core29 (EXTERNAL CONSTRUCTIONS), Core56 (IMPROVED FORTRESS TRANSPORTATION), and maybe others.

According to this article the minimum amount of land to support a person (given ideal land conditions, vegan diet, etc.) is about 0.07 hectares (0.173 acres).  I will use that as an estimate of minimum dwarven land requirement for farms in my suggestion.  So, what would a hectare be in dwarven tiles?  (DISCLAIMER: I KNOW that the dimensions tiles represent have not been established)  I will say that a tile in DF represents 5ft x 5ft when it comes to farming.  That means a dwarf would require a minimum of about 302 tiles of farmland.  That means about 60306 tiles for a fort of 200.  That's a ridiculous amount of land, I know.  To put that into context, a region in dwarf mode is (I think) 48 by 48 tiles.  To feed 200 dwarves using my estimates, it would take about 26 regions or 26 z-levels of farm land.

The only way this large land requirement could ever be implemented and still remain fun, not a job, and not change Dwarf Fortress to Dwarf Farm is to have the ability to delegate the task of farming and have it automated in addition to other necessary things (see prereqs above).

For the farming automation system, here's a loose idea of what it could be like:

1. Designate dorfs to live outside of the fortress region in an area that you control (what determines control is up to how Toady decides to do the land control thingy).
2. Set the dorfs to work the land for agriculture or animal husbandry or both.
3. Farm plots would automatically be designated at this time utilizing some sort of procedurally generated farm layout algorithm thing akin to how human settlements and stuff are set up during world gen.
4. The player could have the option of micromanaging it at any time while allowing the fort to run in the background.

Here is how I envision a game with my above suggestions:

I start my fort as normal except I might have food imported to my fort for the first few years until I get a military force ready to guard lands outside and/or underground of the immediate fort region.  Perhaps the army of the Mountainhome could protect them instead.  If I feel like it, I send some doods to scout the land out and make sure no baddies are there before sending some peasants (maybe 3 or so for a 48x48 tile area) with supplies and animals to work the land.  I allow the dorfs to automatically do their thing.  I just make sure to protect them from armies or ambushes, maybe sending some soldiers on patrol over there.  I could at some point choose to switch to farm micromanage mode (or something) and send some masons over there to build a small fortification for those patrols.  I'd then switch back to my fort and continue playing and having Fun.  Occasionally I'd send out supplies to the farmers if needed.  Things like fertilizer, animals, tools and stuff might be requested every once in a while.

If I didn't want the headache of farming, I'd just import food through trade treaties or something and not worry about it.

The fort building would remain pretty much the same.

Ok.  That's it for now.  Perhaps I'll edit later as ideas develop.

EDIT: Oops... sorry for interrupting you guys, Zombie and SlipshodDorf...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:00:10 am by Andeerz »

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 04:22:50 am »

Sorry if it seems like I'm ignoring the off-site ideas, Andeerz, but I'm just trying to steer my brain away from them as I think we'd need a solid in-fortress system before we supplement it with off-site farming. Mainly this is to prevent the on-site farming problems from invalidating or necessitating off-site farming. I'll come to that later, though...

The idea of producer/total ratio (as producers also are consumers, in this case) is one I'm trying to pay attention to. In the spoiler'd posts I put in the OP, you can see I've mentioned a 20% farmer ratio... I think this should be a MAXIMUM, with increased soil quality and proper tools being able to lower it to a 10% to 15% range. What this means isn't that the amount of tiles on a farm are reduced, just that you can do more work with fewer dwarves and some animal labour or machinery/tools. A smith should be able to make rakes (for fertilizer spreading and soil aeration/turning) and hoes, as well as watering cans (but buckets could work, too). A leatherworker or weaver should be able to make harnasses for animals and leads and things... The smiths could then also make the larger animal-driven tools for ploughing and whatnot.

When you first start off (and until you get things down) your dwarves will be eating a lot of plump helmets, fished things, and hunted things... You should expect a sort of inverted bell curve for farmhand needs over time. When you start off you'll be bad... 20% ratio fully to be expected. 1/5 pop is a farmer... Then as you make tools and gain more dwarves, this number goes down steadily... You'll end up peaking around the 10% range, likely near 100 dwarves... Then, as economy kicks in and dwarves want better (and more than just what they need to survive!) food, you'll  need to ramp up production with the new tools you have to fill the new demand... As you approach 200 dwarves, you'll likely start climbing back up toward a 15% to 20% ratio, but with proper fertilizing, use of animal labour and soil/farm management (which you should be able to automate with whatever settings you like) you likely could keep it hovering between 10% and 15%.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 04:28:51 am »

I see, dood.  Good point.

As for your proposed suggestion, me likey lots, and I have nothing really to add at this time!  :3

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:33:25 am »

I apologize if this pisses anyone off, but 27 pages of the original thread shows a large percentage of those pages being bickering about something. I got bored reading it and it is daunting to people who are actually interested in the logistics of this topic.

Please don't break the forum rules just because the thread is huge. Most people only read the last few posts anyway so it didn't really matter.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:38:36 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:22:17 am »

Sorry if it seems like I'm ignoring the off-site ideas, Andeerz, but I'm just trying to steer my brain away from them as I think we'd need a solid in-fortress system before we supplement it with off-site farming. Mainly this is to prevent the on-site farming problems from invalidating or necessitating off-site farming. I'll come to that later, though...

The idea of producer/total ratio (as producers also are consumers, in this case) is one I'm trying to pay attention to.
In that case you have to take off-site production into account. All centers of trade, arts and crafts, politics or military importance traded their goods or services for food imports. It has the advantage of allowing both realism (balanced, non-explosive farm productivity) and a minimum of wasted FPS by farmers in fortress mode (because the staple crops are grown by off-map sites), so you'll only need to grow some perishable foods that can't be imported, or fodder for animals who are fickle about it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 05:42:25 am »

Here is my "Topical Post". Keep in mind this is all pre-DF.31.

:: FEB-06-10 ::

I'd like to throw some chips in. But before we start, keep in mind I am not factoring in booze cooking for my initial food estimates. That comes later.

First stacking needs to be fixed. Once plants can be stacked together and barrels topped off, low per-tile crop yields will no longer be problematic from an inventory standpoint. I've heard that this can't be done and I've heard that this can be done, so I'm throwing it out there that beating the code with a sledgehammer until it begs forgiveness and neatly stacks items in its time-out corner is a worthwhile pursuit, damn the torpedoes. This is not required for my arguement, but it seems to be hindering a lot of ideas and will certainly decrease the demand on barrels and storage space.

Secondly lets dispel all notions that a tile can be abstracted into an acre, or a hundred square yards, or a hundred square feet. A tile is the amount of space a dwarf, a door, a barrel, a bed, or a table occupies. For the purposes of my arguement I assume its about the same as a DnD grid square, 5x5 feet. 25 square.

Being a bit of a farm boy, I can tell you in twenty-five square feet one grows roughly 12-18 corn plants, a figure which is varied based on soil quality. So the current yields aren't really high, they're actually low. Not all seeds germinating is also already in the game, since a peasant who gets one plant out of a tile put the same amount of seed in as a skilled planter who gets five plants out of the tile.

A six by six tile field is 30x30 or 900 square feet if we accept the 5x5 foot tile. Currently you can feed an entire fortress and then some without ever expanding beyond this scale. The field is a pretty sizable area to a dwarf, but not realistic. In reality, one acre of prime American farmland yields 160 bushels of corn (thanks to mechanized agriculture which we shall presume is 'legendary'), or 270 square feet per bushel (I'm fudging some decimals as this is not a scientific debate).  In reality, this 6x6 plot of Legendary planted and fertilized land would amount to three bushels or 170 pounds of grain. If we assume the average dwarf has a slightly less hearty appetite than the average American, this amounts to some 42 days worth of food. Eating three pounds a day comes to 56 days worth of food. A full acre at this rate produces 8960 pounds of food, or enough to feed six dwarves for a year at near-American rates or eight dwarves at three pounds a day. If no changes are made regarding four-season, four-crop agriculture we can feed 32 dwarves a year with a legendary-planted, fertilized, productive-as-Iowa grain farm. The only problem is, assuming the 5x5 foot tile, this is a 42x42 field! It is almost the size of a 1x1 embark zone (48x48). Realism is not possible in the current simulation, unless almost the entire fortress is dedicated to agriculture (and legendary at it, too!)

With a goal of a somewhat realistic, if fun and gamey above-ground farming system, two points arise. The first is that crop yields must be higher than real life to allow a 200-dwarf fortress to endure on less than multiple embark tiles completely filled with farm plots. The second is that dwarves currently seem to eat very little and that nutrition is not a concern.

The problem of dwarven appetite raises three questions.

1. Does a dwarf satisfy hunger all at once? In Dwarf Companion hunger is tracked by a rather large, increasing value. That is, does a dwarf pick up a biscuit and eat it, returning to 0 hunger regardless of if he had 10,000 or 1,000 hunger?

2. Does a dwarf's food have a nutritonal value based on ingredients as well as a monentary value?

3. If meals did have hunger reduction based on nutritional value, how might that affect dwarven eating habits and consequencially, the demand for food crops?

At present I believe the first two questions are answered with 'no'. If that is true, then a fortress can sustain itself entirely on plump helmet spawn biscuits and wine, while another fortress might have the most elaborate *cow meat roast* banquets, complete with sides of dwarven cheese and *dwarven sugar biscuits*. Both fortresses' residents would still visit the dining room just as often. There is no incentive to create a varied diet, only an expensive one.

To find the answer to the third question, we must consider if each food had a nutritonal value as well as a monentary value. Dwarven sugar might be expensive but empty calories, while cave wheat flour is balanced as a happy medium and the basis of most meals. Meat and fish would both provide nutrient-rich substance to the diet. Dwarves could seek out food based on what their current needs were. Players would then have a strong incentive for crop rotations and importing overland foods that weren't local. Consumption patterns could also be altered. Dwarves might be inclined to pick up a sugar biscuit if they felt a bit peckish when they first woke up, stop for some vegetable stew halfway through their day, and have a good meat roast before going to bed. If dwarves required one medium grade 'stew' per month (which seems reasonable), we come up with three plants consumed a month on average or thirty six plants eaten a year, assuming they were all of nutrient-rich types. Assuming a one plant per tile yield, representing dabbling farmers and a poor harvest, this figures to one 6x6 plot to feed one dwarf for one year. In four seasons we have four dwarves fed. With skilled growers managing six plants 'surviving' per tile, we have 216 plants to harvest, feeding six dwarves. In four seasons, we have twenty-four dwarves fed. With legendary planters acheiving 12 plants per tile with all of the associated irrigation and fertilizing efforts, we have 432 plants feeding twelve dwarves. In four seasons, we have forty-eight dwarves fed; a quarter of a mature fortress. A 6x6 farm plot thusly becomes our new 'dwarven acre', feeding on average 24 dwarves assuming all plants are cooked into meals. Yields can be boosted by way of irrigation mechanics (an ajacent channel of water or brief flooding), fertilizers of various sorts, and any other methods added.

At this point four 'dwarven acres', planted by legendaries, irrigated and potashed, can feed an entire fortress requiring some 6,912 plants to be harvested and 2,304 *plump helmet stews* to be cooked. This can be done in a 12x12 area, or 3,600 square feet. But is this acceptable?

Consider: If booze is given no nutritional value, cooking booze effectively turns alcohol into a sauce rather than part of the dish and dwarves will be happier, but will not be as full. Dwarves will still demand ale, wine, rum and beer, meaning an extra field or two may be required to produce booze. Dwarves will still require fiber crops for the production of clothing. And most importantly, the current four-season agricultural system may well be up for changes.

For example, if the field now has its moisture level tracked it can easily occur that a summer dries out the field if the player fails to construct irrigation, or if the water source for irrigation itself dries up. This could lead to significant reductions in crop yield, or possibly wipe out an entire season. Freezing temperatures may also be tracked. Plants which can grow during a tropical winter might fail during a temperate one, likewise, summer may be the only plantable season in a freezing biome!

Above-ground farming thus becomes a matter of storing enough food to survive crop failures and seasonal changes, just as it was in 1400's Europe. Additionally, ambushing enemies may also spoil you crops while woodland critters simply eat the edges. Trampling fields could also ruin seedlings, making it wise to designate your fields low-traffic. With more imperfect agriculture, we may be looking at closer to eight or nine dwarven acres required to support a full fortress; a figure I am sure many players will find a suitable goal. Tending these fields would be labor intensive as we are looking at some 324 planting and harvesting jobs a season, or 1200 plantings and 1200 harvests a year to support 200 dwarves, each of which consume 48 plants a year (3 in a meal, 1 in a drink, twelve months a year). This comes out to a full-sized fortress consuming 9800 plants per year, requiring a yield of at least 8 plants per harvesting job.

If dwarves eat only once a season, divide all figures for crop yield and consumption by 4, however the labor demands for planting and harvesting remain the same. I believe if this general scheme were followed (modified, of course, but followed) we could well see livestock kept as 'famine reserves' and the fisherdwarf and butcher becoming a hero of society for their supply of high nutrient value ingredients. It will begin to make sense to trade with the caravans for food since your demand could well outstrip supply. Sieges which take control of your surface farming operations may well doom your fortress if sufficent reserves of longland grass flour aren't in a tightly-sealed iron vault for just such a contingency.

You might notice I never really touched on cave farming. Cave farming, in my opinion, should be a low-yield and almost subsistence level form of agriculture that you develop as an emergency food source against sieges or to provide some dietary variety. Fertilizers and flooding should all be required on a yearly basis to keep crop yields as high as four or six plants per tile. Assuming four plants per tile, a dwarven acre only feeds twelve dwarves per year, three or four of whom are in your food service industry to begin with. This is the reason for above ground farms to yield so much more; it allows developed agriculture to liberate the population to other pursuits; below-ground agriculture may well shackle them.

In any case, this post 'ran away' from me. I hope it adds to the debate.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 12:53:15 am »

Please don't break the forum rules just because the thread is huge. Most people only read the last few posts anyway so it didn't really matter.

I don't believe this is in violation of forum rules in the slightest. I have read the guidelines and all and nowhere do they state that a thread can never be rehashed. The guideline stating that one should search for a thread on their topic first is simply to prevent a threadsplosion of "steam!" or "multi-threading!" or other subject'd topics. This is not an independent thread and is, instead, intended to carry on the spirit of the old thread, which has been plagued by prolonged bickering. Sometimes starting with a relatively clean slate is needed to further spur intelligent discussion and, honestly, to attract younger players and new posters to the idea. As I said, 27 pages is daunting and a large portion is bickering. People who only read the last few posts are often ridiculed for missing points earlier on, as well. In the interest of promoting healthy discussion and disassociating this topic with bickering, I felt it needed an image makeover. If the moderators feel this is in error, then I apologize and they can merge the threads. I hold no illusions that I make the rules and I may be entirely mistaken in my belief that this thread violates no rules.

The idea of producer/total ratio (as producers also are consumers, in this case) is one I'm trying to pay attention to.
In that case you have to take off-site production into account. All centers of trade, arts and crafts, politics or military importance traded their goods or services for food imports. It has the advantage of allowing both realism (balanced, non-explosive farm productivity) and a minimum of wasted FPS by farmers in fortress mode (because the staple crops are grown by off-map sites), so you'll only need to grow some perishable foods that can't be imported, or fodder for animals who are fickle about it.

Well, the idea is to first balance on-site production so off-site has a stable foundation to work on, not to completely cut off-site out of the picture. Ideally your on-site production would need to first feed your off-site fortress while it set up its production before you could see returns. With a standardized system of food and how much food nourishes dwarves, we can then set up how off-site production works with greater ease as it will have a stable, working, and realistic system to work off of. I agree that to be truly realistic, off-site production needs to be taken into account but we aren't at a point to where farming works on-site well enough to justify creating off-site production sites that will, essentially, operate off of the same calculations and just end up making excess.

Nikov, your questions about the nebulous "food" value for dwarves is a valid one. I think we need to set standardized units of weight, then discern how much food in weight a dwarf needs to eat to survive (we'll call this x) and how much food in weight a dwarf wants to eat to be happy (we'll call this y). With these two numbers, we then simply have the "food" value be set to have a max of 2*y with a point where they won't actively seek to eat after unless economy has kicked in and they can afford it, which would be x. The food value would then start off at y and tick down to 0. When it hits x, a dwarf becomes "hungry". When it hits x/2, a dwarf becomes very hungry. It continues similar to that. Eating food will then add the food's weight to the hunger clock. Often we'll see dwarves having food values far over y, which would be fine. X should be calibrated to expire fully after about a cycle and a fourth (to provide time for the hungry dwarf to eat). Food over that amount would contribute to working longer before requiring meals. Food over y would contribute to weight gain.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 10:55:19 am »

Determining acreage, tile size, and plant weight is myopic and unnecessary to address the current problems of farming. I don't like the idea of requiring huge farms either. Something like one 10x10 per 40 dwarves would be ok, not counting booze crops. Farming isn't bad because it's unrealistic, it's bad because it's incredibly easy and uninteresting and neglects water as a resource (which is now available, I think, literally everywhere). So here's some ideas I've been passively thinking about for a long time.

My criteria are:
1 - More area and labor required (easy to do by changing yield, won't elaborate it)
2 - Constant water use
3 - More strict soil & fertilization requirements
4 - Seasonal/regional crop restrictions with little to nothing growable in winter
5 - Better application of farmer skill

Water

Water use should be per-crop, like "crop X requires 1 unit of water every Y days". To cut down on micromanagement I think you'd need a few things, though. The farm plot would need a water buffer that's shared out to all of its tiles. That is, water touching the farm would get absorbed inside, unless the farm is full, in which case it would run over ground like normal. Then you'd need variable-height floodgates (e.g. set it to allow 2-height water through so it doesn't flood the hell out of everything) and cyclers/clocks that are simple to construct. Bucket farming should work too, just obviously with more labor cost.

Rain should contribute to the point of it being possible to subsist only on rain with the right combination of climate/crop/season.

This increased water use would ideally come parallel with a water requirement for brewing.

Soil

You should be able to build a plot anywhere. Once built, your dwarves would have to prepare each floor tile, converting into some generic type like "arable soil". Rock would take a lot of work and fertilization (maybe even bags of soil), but soil/loam/peat would be quick. For simplicity, the entire plot would need to be arable before growing could begin. Then seasonal fertilization would work on top of that to strongly influence yield. Right now it's like "none = normal, fertilized = HUGE BONUS" when it should be "none = shit, fertilized = normal".

The floor conversion mechanic could be extended to add different farm types, which you would pick when you create the plot. Crops might need muddy or sandy soil, which would be converted to by bringing in water or sand. And then this would allow you to grow different sets of things. This is ultimately unnecessary, but it would at least be nice for differentiating indoor and outdoor plots.

Actual soil quality and crop rotation would be interesting but I don't know if you could do that without adding more data to each tile. The purpose of crop rotation, if it existed, would be to force you to not grow the "best" crops all the time.

Crops/Seasons

What grows when and where should be based on climate, by combining a per-season average temperature with dryness and precipitation and whatever else there is. So Unnamed Crop A might grow from spring to autumn in a super nice climate, and grow only in summer in a cold climate, and only in winter in a hot one. More crops can be added to widen the range of what's available in different places. Look at the back of a packet of seeds for inspiration here.

Underground crops are a bit special. I think that the cavern biomes should be better for growing in (I'm not even sure what the non-cavern underground counts as right now). Maybe lower cavern layers can have warmer and more consistent temperatures for longer growing seasons. In general, winter should be a dead month. I'm not sure what sense that makes for growing mushrooms in a cave, but 2D winters were fun and realism should take a backseat to gameplay here.

There should be better variety of growing times. Wheat-like crops should require almost a full season, balanced by less labor requirements and maybe higher yield. It would be nice to have a type of crop that grows into a plant that craps out food every so often until it dies, but that sounds like plant rewrite stuff and isn't a big deal.

Finally, crop failures should be possible, caused by random variation in temperature and rainfall (if you're relying on rain for water) and maybe the occaisonal swarm of vermin.

Skill

Farmer skill should be for a) speed of soil preparation and b) crop mortality. Some amount of plants should just not make it, and a skilled grower should be better at preventing that.