Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Equipment / Other Questions  (Read 2157 times)

fyy0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Equipment / Other Questions
« on: October 06, 2010, 12:57:11 am »

Hello, I've been playing this for 2 days so go easy on me.  I currently am forging alot of Iron (all I have right now), a couple of dwarves in my military are equipping it, but others are not.  Why is this?  They are all set to use metal armor, yet a bunch of iron sits in a bin while some of it gets used, and some of it doesnt.   For example my militia commander is almost full clad iron, while a couple of members below him are still using default armor.  Also, is there any good safe way to get hostile creatures out of animal cage traps?  Basically the only way I'm getting them out right now is by trying to haul them into a pit, where they immediately get free, and I assign my military squad to hunt them down in my fort.

I don't know if I'm getting meat properly either.  My technique works I guess, but it seems there must be a better way.  I basically have like 50 traps out in the wild that catch various animals at times and then I do what I already explained above.  Would a hunter be better?  Any other ideas?

Also, how about hospital tips?  How do I get boxes/bags and the necessary materials like soap to my Hospital I created?  The normal stockpile way or?

Also, if a guy goes crazy with inspiration and I can't supply him with the proper materials, is there a less brutal way than walling him in and letting him starve to death?  :D

And the FINAL question.  When I hit z I see my meat count, say it's 100, but then I check my stocks and it says "Prepared Meal" 200, if I run out of meat my dwarves will eat the prepared meal or will they starve? I see them eating it occasionally but I just figured it was lumped in with "Meat", is that not the case?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:02:13 am by fyy0r »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Military Equipment / Other Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:29:01 am »

1. Dwarves can be silly when it comes to grabbing armor, in my experience. The only other way I know of going about it is specifying for each dwarf the uniform you want them to wear ('e' in the military menu)
2. You can link cages to levers, and then pulling the lever will deconstruct the cage and free whatever's inside. Be sure to put the cage where you want it before linking it up.
3. Hunting would work too, but that requires a crossbow and ammunition. If you can, capture a few animals of the same type and try starting a breeding/butchering program.
4. Hospitals are buggy right now. I use custom stockpiles to get supplies in the hospital.
5. Magma. But honestly, if your dwarf goes crazy from a failed mood, he's going to die no matter what. Better to keep him away from anything he can hurt (including other dwarves, depending on the insanity) than attempt contact.
6. Prepared meals are meals made in a kitchen from other foodstuffs, such as your meat and any plants you've been farming. They're counted separately under "Other", and your dwarves will probably favor those first unless they prefer the meat specifically. Also, consider setting your bookkeeper's precision higher ([n]obles, highlight your bookkeeper, then ettings for precision), for more accurate counts.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

fyy0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 03:11:01 am »

1. Dwarves can be silly when it comes to grabbing armor, in my experience. The only other way I know of going about it is specifying for each dwarf the uniform you want them to wear ('e' in the military menu)
2. You can link cages to levers, and then pulling the lever will deconstruct the cage and free whatever's inside. Be sure to put the cage where you want it before linking it up.
3. Hunting would work too, but that requires a crossbow and ammunition. If you can, capture a few animals of the same type and try starting a breeding/butchering program.
4. Hospitals are buggy right now. I use custom stockpiles to get supplies in the hospital.
5. Magma. But honestly, if your dwarf goes crazy from a failed mood, he's going to die no matter what. Better to keep him away from anything he can hurt (including other dwarves, depending on the insanity) than attempt contact.
6. Prepared meals are meals made in a kitchen from other foodstuffs, such as your meat and any plants you've been farming. They're counted separately under "Other", and your dwarves will probably favor those first unless they prefer the meat specifically. Also, consider setting your bookkeeper's precision higher ([n]obles, highlight your bookkeeper, then ettings for precision), for more accurate counts.

Thanks.   As for this part though:

Is 0.31.14 bugged?  I can't link up cages.  I've had no problems linking other things, like draw bridges and flood gates, it doesn't seem to work when I try to select "Cages" though.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:43:43 am »

If you have a lot of iron and fuel, it's better to start right away with steel gear for your military: just make pig iron with one bar of iron and one of fuel, than make steel with one bar of pig iron and one of normal iron.

Steel is the better equipment untill you find cotton candy.

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:50:00 am »

You can only link built cages. If a caged Dragon is sitting in your animal stockpile in a cage, you can't link that.

First build the cage, then link it from a lever.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

fyy0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 04:09:25 am »

You can only link built cages. If a caged Dragon is sitting in your animal stockpile in a cage, you can't link that.

First build the cage, then link it from a lever.

Yeah I got it now, that was pretty counter intuitive though. 

bcd1024

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:26:42 am »

Really? It's the same as beds, dwarves won't sleep on a bed in a furniture stockpile, it needs to be placed in order to function.
This is a feature, not a bug, correct?
You're playing Dwarf Fortress.  There isn't much of a distinction.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 05:49:32 am »

does that make it any more intuitive?
I mean, the whole you need to place a bed before making a room thing is one of the more... annoying things to learn in DF
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

fyy0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 11:31:45 am »

Really? It's the same as beds, dwarves won't sleep on a bed in a furniture stockpile, it needs to be placed in order to function.

Not really though.  In order to set down a bed somewhere you just have to build it and wait for it to go on your stockpile, then you can set it anywhere.  A cage trap on the other hand has to get a regular cage built, then the cage trap can be set, then after it catches an animal and goes into your stockpile you have to set the cage down yet again just to release it.  I was expecting the ability to release it right after it goes on the stockpile.

But now when I think about the lack of ability to interact with stockpiled items before they're put somewhere it makes more sense, but I still think it was counter intuitive since you already build and set a cage during the cage trap process.  Having to build it yet again after an animal is caught didn't make sense.