Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Joint locks should be nerfed.  (Read 9045 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Joint locks should be nerfed.
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:02:37 pm »

They cause EXTREME PAIN from just a broken knee that my superhumanly tough human cant handle, even worse when they lock one joint they end up making you pass out and snap evrey single joint in your body pretty much somehow causing you to bleed to death before you even wake up.

Even you do manage to awake in time youl end up passing out up to 6 times in a row and either way your screwed.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
Re: Joint locks should be nerfed.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:20:20 pm »

Cause adventurers aren't overpowered as it is now? Be glad the giant that broke your leg can't just rip it off yet.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:27:59 pm »

Have you ever had a broken knee? If so,have you ever tried doing strenuous physical activity with it,Like fighting?
The game tries at realism in a fantasy universe,to a certain extent,at least.

I'm not certain what you are suggesting.Make critical injuries like broken bones and joints irrelevant? That would be a backwards step in combat development.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:58:19 pm »

He might mean "make them harder to do" or something, I'm not sure.  The original post doesn't seem to contain any ideas on joint locks should be changed.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:03:43 pm »

Does toughness still keep you from passing out?

I thought willpower had taken over that function.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 05:09:48 pm »

The pain from a joint lock is just too much, a troll simply broke my knee and I passed out 9 effing times... I was superhumaly tough and I had the highest strentgh possible and legendary wrestler and I still was unable to break his grip, myc harecter eventually bled to death and has his head caved in.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:25:26 pm »

Wrestling is now extremely dependent on how big you are. Trolls are over 3 times your size; no amount of skill or strength will let you win at wrestling. As for passing out, well, perhaps it could use a bit of a tweak, but having both your legs snapped by a troll is pretty severe, and passing out isn't necessarily all that far fetched.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 05:33:50 pm »

The pain from a joint lock is just too much, a troll simply broke my knee and I passed out 9 effing times... I was superhumaly tough and I had the highest strentgh possible and legendary wrestler and I still was unable to break his grip, myc harecter eventually bled to death and has his head caved in.

A lock is one of the most painful ways you can restrain someone and it's very easy to cause long lasting damage, it should be able to make you pass out. It's also very hard to break a lock if the person knows what they are doing, even if they are a lot weaker than you.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:19:47 pm »

A lock is one of the most painful ways you can restrain someone and it's very easy to cause long lasting damage, it should be able to make you pass out. It's also very hard to break a lock if the person knows what they are doing, even if they are a lot weaker than you.

vut I was a ledendary wrestler and superhuman strentgh. I was even legendary fighter and large sized for a human! and I was superhumanly strong. O should be able to not pass out 9 times in a row beforre I stop and be unable to break his locke even tho I tried seven times.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:46:46 pm »

Hmmm... certain joint locks should be able to debilitate by hampering the function of the damaged joint, but I'd imagine pain during an adrenaline filled fight to the death is not often going to stop someone or cause them to faint.  Perhaps a knee injury would cause debilitating pain, though... I hear those hurt reeeeeally bad.  Anyone have real world experience?  :P  It's definitely a complex psychological and physical problem.  Toady has guts to take it on as he does!

Pain from joint locks (like locks used by police officers to control someone resisting arrest or something) should be able to stop a fight if the motivation for said fight is low.  But I shouldn't digress into modeling morale.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:02:29 pm »

This thread is now about Magma.

Discuss.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 08:48:15 pm »

vut I was a ledendary wrestler and superhuman strentgh. I was even legendary fighter and large sized for a human! and I was superhumanly strong. O should be able to not pass out 9 times in a row beforre I stop and be unable to break his locke even tho I tried seven times.

Tell me, what were you fighting that had you in a lock?

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 08:51:26 pm »

You should know,pal!

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 09:26:14 pm »

You should know,pal!

My bad, scanned over the word troll. That's still a pretty large creature. The strongest human in the world doesn't stand a chance compared to an average elephant either.

Broadsword

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 10:11:48 pm »

Guize! Guize guize guize! I'm a superhumanly human who is also strong and big; so I should be able to win any wrestling match ever, right?
Well I got into a wrestling match with a dragon and it just bit my head off. Getting your head bit of needs to be nerfed.
Pages: [1] 2