Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: External API for helper applications  (Read 1748 times)

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
External API for helper applications
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:05:42 pm »

There are many utilities out there for DF, I'm sure most players are familiar with Dwarf Therapist or one of the many similar utilities, for example.  They are currently based on pure memory manipulation, enterprising players sitting down to figure out what pieces of memory does what in a running copy of DF, then figuring out how to change that to make things easier to manage.  We could do a lot more than this, and do it much faster, simpler and with greater cross-version compatibility if there were some sort of API included in DF for doing this.  It doesn't have to be very complicated or fancy, a simple open TCP socket, by default only open for local connections, with a simple text protocol would probably be good enough for the entire thing.

Things that could be tamed to a much greater extent that way include, but are not limited to:
* Dwarf labors/names/mood
* Reading and designating in the stocks menu
* Adding and altering manager orders
* Mass designating preset build/dig orders, think pretty, OCD-friendly blueprints

This has probably been suggested many times in the past already, but this time is different.  This time is special, because...I added a note about this on the eternal suggestion voting list!  I have done my part, the rest is now up to you.  I need you, noble dwarf-herder in agreement, to head on over to:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php
..and search for the title "External API for DF utilities" and put down your vote for this.  (I recommend searching, because it's currently pretty far down in the list.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:26:10 pm by j0nas »

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: External API for helper applications
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 04:30:48 pm »

It seems that:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/eternal_voting.php#vote84
..might be a working direct link to the issue at hand on the list.  Your mileage may vary. :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:46:38 pm »

^^^ Yeah, those only work if you've already voted for it.  I've been bugging zagibu to fix that.

Anyway, yes, this has been suggested before and Toady has made a couple direct responses.  Any supporters of the idea should definitely read these:

Spoiler: response (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: followup (click to show/hide)

Also some earlier stuff:

Spoiler: part 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: part 2 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:57:17 pm by Footkerchief »

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 04:58:16 pm »

Thanks foot, those are enlightening.  Unfortunately that means things don't bode well for an API of some sort, too bad.