Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: STEAM: Careful with Utilities  (Read 9672 times)

DrMorbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
STEAM: Careful with Utilities
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:34:00 pm »

I got my steam account banned permanently by vac the other day for detecting memory altering software running on my computer... (DF utilities).

I lost the ability to play over $200 worth of games online forever.  I'd have to purchase the games over again on a new account to play again.

Thanks

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Careful with Utilities
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »

Didn't you maybe think that running MEMORY ALTERING UTILITIES that could be for who knows what while at the same time running an online service that wishes to remain secure was a bit of a bloody mistake?

Couldn't you just ask them to unban you? I'm pretty sure they can't just deny you $200 worth of games just because you were using memory altering software.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

call them up (or email them) and explain the situation, and there is a chance they will unban you.

Were you running an online game at the time? cause if VAC bans you automatically when you are not even playing, that's BS and I'm definitely never, ever buying anything from them. Screw them if they think to tell you what you can and can't run with totally unrelated games.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Tinker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 02:47:00 pm »

I'm also interested in knowing whether you were running a steam game at the time or not. Also, start talking to them...you can even link them to a file in question. Alternatively, if you have the time or money you can try to sue and see if you win :/   I'd check their EULA but I find it highly unlikely they can take back those things they sold you (online service) for running programs that don't have anything todo with your game.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »

Tinker, sueing a company like that for a few hundred bucks would be colossally stupid. You'll never win something like this in a million years.

DrM, just do as Slime and BT said and contact them through phone or mail (or better yet, both) and explain the situation.

DrMorbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 03:18:00 pm »

This isn't something I can fight.  They never unlift bans.  That's their policy.  I've already contacted then and explained to them the situation.  And no, I didn't think that messing would DF would ban me.  I must have left them open while I started Counter Strike or something.

I'm just putting this out there as a warning. There is no way I can win this.  It has been tried.  Everything is automated with no human intervention.  If they detect something they consider a cheat or hack, you're banned.  That's it.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: DrMorbly ]

Ltheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

My question is 'is that legal?'. I might be misremembering this but about 7 or so years ago, back when I played everquest, there was a news burb I remember about Sony doing something like this - getting information from your machine. If memory serves me right, I do believe that is a violation privacy unless you consent to it.

I read the EULA, and while they say they have a no tolerance policy to cheaters and that you can and will be banned, I do not believe they have any authority or clause that you agree to that lets them look at the memory of your computer.

Erasmus Darwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DrMorbly:
<STRONG>This isn't something I can fight.  They never unlift bans.</STRONG>

According to the Wikipedia page for VAC ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Anti-Cheat ), they've lifted bans in the past that were caused by false positives.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

Even if they don't reverse bans, if they agree with you, they may let you get your games back free or possibly transfer them for you. I have no experience with valve, but it may work.
Eh?
Eh!

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by qwertyuiopas:
<STRONG>Even if they don't reverse bans, if they agree with you, they may let you get your games back free or possibly transfer them for you. I have no experience with valve, but it may work.</STRONG>

I hope so. Valve always seemed like the "good guys" to me.

"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Erasmus Darwin:
<STRONG>

According to the Wikipedia page for VAC ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Anti-Cheat ), they've lifted bans in the past that were caused by false positives.</STRONG>

It also says that bans are for an unspecified period, and not permanent.
Edit: and what DF utilities run continuously, anyway? All the ones I can think of run briefly, do their thing, then close.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Vanigo ]

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 06:09:00 pm »

Well, tell you what, I won't be getting steam now, that's for sure. I'll just wait until Valve decides to release their products for real.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 09:13:00 pm »

I always thought it was silly to require permission to play the games that you have.  Many of the big companies are going this way now with non-pure multiplayer games, and it's getting very ridiculous.  You can't even play without connected to the internet in many cases.  I don't know what bugs me more - That they have the nerve to inconvinience hundreds of honest people for the sake of a handful of dishonest thieves (Who get what they want regardless), or that they try to disguise the same thing as a "useful gaming utility".

Unless the consumers reject these 'big brother' programs then nothing will ever be done.  The thing is, consumers don't seem to willing to sacrifice these cool new games to show the big companies that they don't want that.  It's only likely to get worse.

Sorry for the rant.  It just bugs me.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »

Steam is awesome though I love it.   I'd wait until he gets a resounding NO from the VAC team before going all raargh anti-Steam.   I mean, from their end, he was running memory editing programs while playig Counterstrike, which is what hackers do.   I mean, it's not like they're doing it just to be dicks.

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

I should probably remind people that getting banned by VAC does not take the games away from you in any form, but you just can't play on online servers with VAC enabled (you can play offline normally and online on servers that don't have VAC)

Also... please, keep us updated on this when Valve responds. I'm very, very concerned.

Oh and, how do you know it was DF utilities? VAC bans never take effect immediately, it's something like a week or more from when it detects cheating, presumably after review.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Core Xii ]

Reality is for people who lack imagination
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6