Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: STEAM: Careful with Utilities  (Read 9700 times)

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: STEAM: Careful with Utilities
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2007, 11:34:00 am »

quote:

Additionally, the theory is that VAC2 checks (somehow) for specific cheat programs running.

I would imagine they use some sort of hash-code "dictionary" of known cheat programs...  Which makes me wonder if he's certain that no other memory editing software was used.

BeardlessDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Daeloth:
<STRONG>

I would imagine they use some sort of hash-code "dictionary" of known cheat programs...  Which makes me wonder if he's certain that no other memory editing software was used.</STRONG>

VAC2 does use Hash codes.

Lord_Daeloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2007, 09:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BeardlessDwarf:
<STRONG>

VAC2 does use Hash codes.</STRONG>

Well, there we go.  Send links to the tools that you may have been using, and they should be able to compare the hash codes of those tools to the one that flagged you for banning.  I highly doubt that all VAC2 bans are permanent.  Also, I again have to wonder, if hash-codes are use, its very unlikely that it gave a false positive on a DF utility, and leads me to believe something else was running, possibly without you knowing.  I've heard of a "wall-hack" tool for Counter-strike that lets you pass through walls but only in observer mode, that lead to some bannings. You wouldn't happen to have been using that tool would you?

Edit:  Actually, there's something on the WIKI about it(X-Spectate)--VAC  Apparently they removed those bans and now it only kicks you from a server if you are running it, so nevermind.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Lord_Daeloth ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2007, 09:07:00 am »

I don't like EULA. If anything agreeing to something like that should be before you buy it.

It's silly how it is now. You buy it, bring it home.. "Oh by the way...."

As for STEAM, I won't play another valve game until they get rid of it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »

Call them on the phone, as it's much harder to brush off someone who's calling than someone who's just writing a mail. Explain the situation and politely ask to be unbanned. If they refuse, threaten them with bad publicity. If they still refuse, write to every damn gaming magazine and website in the world. You may not get your games back, but you'll get one hell of a revenge. They'll certainly lose more revenue than 200$.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2007, 02:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>Call them on the phone, as it's much harder to brush off someone who's calling than someone who's just writing a mail. Explain the situation and politely ask to be unbanned. If they refuse, threaten them with bad publicity. If they still refuse, write to every damn gaming magazine and website in the world. You may not get your games back, but you'll get one hell of a revenge. They'll certainly lose more revenue than 200$.</STRONG>

Yes, blackmail is the answer.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>I don't like EULA. If anything agreeing to something like that should be before you buy it.

It's silly how it is now. You buy it, bring it home.. "Oh by the way...."</STRONG>

Especially since most (all?) stores won't let you return opened software... and where do you usually see the EULA? During install, of course.

(In general, not specific to Steam.)

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2007, 07:03:00 pm »

Note that the EULA isn't really worth much as a legal document. It's more of a "just so you know, this is what we want" kinda thing than a contract that you sign when you click 'agree'.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Aargh ]

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>It's silly how it is now. You buy it, bring it home.. "Oh by the way...."</STRONG>

It does say on the back of the retail box that... well, why don't I just quote from the back of my Orange Box... Oh wait, it's in Finnish. Well it reads somewhere along the lines of "NOTE: This product is sold by the condition that you agree to the Steam Subscriber Agreement (SSA). You must activate this product on the Internet by registering it to a Steam account and agreeing to the SSA. You can read the SSA before buying this product at www.steampowered.com/agreement.  If you do not agree to the conditions of the SSA, you should return this game to the retailer unopened as their return policy allows."

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2007, 10:01:00 pm »

"Look at us, we're Steam, join us or don't even bother trying to play all those games you'd really like to tryout online."
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »

Yall keep ignoring the fundamental issue: are we even sure that a DF program caused it?

It sounds like the original poster can't say for sure that a DF utility was the problem. All those DF utilities open and close immediately, I don't know how you could have had one running that you forgot about.

Until we answer this everything else is moot.

Trukkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 09:39:00 am »

Dwarf foreman does not open and close immediately, and is a memory editor. There were a couple for the 2D version like that, too.

Please, do some cursory research into the available utilities before dismissing all possibilities as impossible.

I'll certainly make sure I close everything before even running Steam, now. I don't want to lose Gmod and Portal.

He needs distractions to get through the working day.

Zurai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 02:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Trukkle:
<STRONG>Please, do some cursory research into the available utilities before dismissing all possibilities as impossible.</STRONG>

Please, do some cursory reading into what the poster you're responding to said before dismissing his statement as impossible.

In other words, he never said it was impossible. He asked whether the OP was sure it was a DF utility and brought up a point about the majority of memory-accessing utilities being self-exiting.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Trukkle:
<STRONG>Dwarf foreman does not open and close immediately, and is a memory editor. </STRONG>

I didn't realize this. So does the original thread-starter know for sure that he had Dwarf Foreman open while he was trying to play on Steam?

Steam is always on on my computer, it pops up automatically. But, I've used DF utilities without a problem, so do I have to be playing a game over steam while Dwarf Foreman remains open for trouble?

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2007, 08:48:00 pm »

Stardock beats Steam hands down. I buy from Stardock specifically because it doesn't have any overbearing protectionist software. Really commendable stuff.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6