Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: STEAM: Careful with Utilities  (Read 9600 times)

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
Re: STEAM: Careful with Utilities
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2007, 11:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Anfold:
<STRONG>Copyrights (trademarks?) have to be renewed, the current system of 80 years  after the death of the holder does not apply to companies. Ol' Mickey is the copyright of Walt Disney the man, not the corporation.
[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Anfold ]</STRONG>

A copyright and a trademark are very different things.  Differences here.  A copyright also CANNOT BE RENEWED... that would invalidate their entire purpose.  As it stands, their purpose is effectively invalidated anyway because corporations can lobby to extend copyrights on a whim.  If you want proof of this, just do some reading on Disney and how they are helping to break copyright law.

As for the Steam argument... I don't see why people are up in arms about the program scanning your computer for cheats.  The argument sounds similar to the debate about being asked for your receipt leaving a SAM's club.  People don't like that invasion of privacy, but by joining the club you agree to those terms, so there's nothing you can do about it.

[i do not regret]

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2007, 08:57:00 am »

Frankly, I see nothing wrong with the blackmail I proposed. Steam has effectively stolen back lawfully purchased goods, and this "blackmail" is giving the company chance to correct their mistake without ill consequences. It's the same thing as having someone break into your house and steal stuff and giving them the chance to return it without consequences. Most people would alert the police, so this move is being nice to the thief. Similarly, most people should immediately ruin a company's PR if they get screwed by it. If nobody did that, we'd all live in a world of getting constantly screwed.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

briktal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2007, 09:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>Frankly, I see nothing wrong with the blackmail I proposed. Steam has effectively stolen back lawfully purchased goods, and this "blackmail" is giving the company chance to correct their mistake without ill consequences. It's the same thing as having someone break into your house and steal stuff and giving them the chance to return it without consequences. Most people would alert the police, so this move is being nice to the thief. Similarly, most people should immediately ruin a company's PR if they get screwed by it. If nobody did that, we'd all live in a world of getting constantly screwed.</STRONG>

First, you can still play the games, just not online.

Second, it isn't the "bad publicity" thing, it's the THREAT to do so if certain demands aren't met.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2007, 09:10:00 am »

Well, I'd say that threatening to do something is still being nicer than actually doing it without giving them a chance to rectify their mistake.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: DJ ]

Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2007, 10:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by briktal:
<STRONG>First, you can still play the games, just not online.</STRONG>

Wrong again. The only thing a VAC ban prohibits you from doing is playing on VAC-enabled servers. You can play on servers that have VAC disabled.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Worldwaker

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2007, 11:07:00 am »

Not to burst some of your bubble's, but Vac2 does NOT scan your computer. How do I know? I have a pack of "cheats" on my desktop. And before you flame me, I use said "cheats" for catching people using hacks/cheats on my CS:S server. My server has Vac disabled, so people who were Vac banned can play on it. Which in turn, brings in the occasional hacker.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Worldwaker ]

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Worldwaker:
<STRONG>My server has Vac disabled,

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Worldwaker ]</STRONG>

That is the reason.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Worldwaker

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

That is the reason.</STRONG>

Actually, you'd be surprised how many hackers/cheaters there are that have "Vac2 Proof hacks"

Balsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2007, 03:31:00 pm »

This is completely retarded, and almost seems like some awkward attempt at discrediting Steam for who knows what reason. I've been unfairly banned by VAC before, and guess what. I contacted them, got it sorted out, and everything was fine. Not only that, but as others have said, you can play your games not only offline, but online on non-vac servers. The guys at Steam really are pretty damn understanding.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2007, 03:20:00 pm »

I'm glad Toady takes a liberal view towards cheats and the pricing of his software.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

Forum reader cancels Observe Shitstorm: Playing Dwarf Fortress.
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2007, 04:34:00 pm »

It depends if it only checks active programs that are using standard methods of accessing another program's memory. It may be imossible to see what program is being accessed, and if so, they have to stop all because it may be cheating.

If vac could not see your chats, could it see them while they were running?

Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]