Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Idea for a monument?

(1/3) > >>

AtomicPaperclip:
If you don't want to know about Forgotten beasts then leave now.

I breached the first layer of cavern when digging out my fortress, high above the ground level of the cavern. Eventually a forgotten beast showed up, couldn't path to my fort, and wandered off.

later when I was excavating more, I cut into an invisible area, and designated a wall to be built to block it off.

About a month later, I notice about 4 of my animals are dead, so I check my announcements. The wall got suspended and the Forgotten Beast apparently had made it's way to the other side of the cavern. By this time, it's in the dining room slaughtering animals and getting attacked by war jaguars. So I send in the military. They hack away and hack away and I realize it's not getting past bruising. I watched helplessly hoping for something miraculous. Nothing.

Eventually they wandered into the refuse piles, so I sent in the most noble craftsmen of my fort, the masons. I had to deconstruct about half of the chairs/tables in my dining room and un-suspend walls hundreds of times, but eventually I walled in my 6 surviving members of the military and the forgotten beast in the middle of my dining room. Most of them are injured, and dying of thirst. The Forgotten beast has actually healed some of its wounds.

Since I will not be able to retrieve their corpses to put in a tomb, what do I build to honor their gallant efforts?

tldr: I had to wall in a few military dwarves and a forgotten beast, what do I build to honor them?

Cruxador:
Pump magma in. Once the beast is dead, build a monument atop the lava.

Ultimuh:
Magma? Jeez, some people are.. well whatever it's not helathy..

Hmm.. a monument you say? Howabout a statue by the entrance,
and infront of that an empty but masterfully crafted coffin as a symbol of those you could not bury.

AtomicPaperclip:

--- Quote from: Cruxador on May 01, 2010, 12:40:08 am ---Pump magma in. Once the beast is dead, build a monument atop the lava.

--- End quote ---

Does that even kill them? They don't drown...

Shiv:
At least you didn't get one that explodes into boiling mists of 'forgotten beast extract' every two seconds.  It killed 5 Legendary Axedwarves in full steel before they even got to him, and wiping out my oldest and most prestigious squad all in one go.  The other 5 behind them (two squads of five) got close to him and one of them hacked a wing off, he exploded into boiling mist again and EVERYTHING died, including the forgotten beast which was fortunate because he took out my entire military in about 2 seconds.

Anyhow, just had to get that off my chest.  Magma has no heat any more?  Turn on temperature real quick if you've got it off for FPS purposes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version