Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Why are bronze calossues so strong?  (Read 2954 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Why are bronze calossues so strong?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 06:41:42 pm »

The biggest problem with BCs, honestly, isn't all their doom!flags or their bronze skin -- though those definitely contribute -- it's the oh-so-tiny fact that they're roughly three hundred times larger than your average dwarf. 333 and some decimals times larger, to be more precise. 20000000 vs 60000. So yeah. They're colossal, yanno. Which is why they squish tiny people. Tiny people being everything else.

The flags and the skin just make them go from being freaking ridiculous monstrosities to world-destroying unkillable monstrosities. Is Fun thing, ya.

Maybe if you could get together a troupe of three hundred dwarvish acrobat/axe lords and have them stand on each others shoulders, you'd have a better chance against them. Probably not, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 07:15:14 pm »

You need a sword that can detect the colossi's weak points to defeat them.

*tumbleweed blows past*
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 07:27:32 pm »

They may not breathe, but whatever animates them seems to be water-soluable. Get them underwater and they will never move again.

Actually, they simply can't swim. Makes sense being made of solid bronze. Depending on if they still sever on breaks you can pin a BC in a pool and then break it's limbs off at leisure. Still can't kill it though.

LOl what if joint locks on the neck were possible? Imagine the glitch where you break a BCs neck and his neck comes off yet his head is somhoe still attatched.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 01:38:31 am »

can happen I say if you are going to mod them try making them peacefully overpower creatures.
so that at least there is something that can counter the other over power non modifiable creatures.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Batta

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Wyvern
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 03:33:45 am »

You need a sword that can detect the colossi's weak points to defeat them.

Y'know, I thought about this. Talos was a bronze colossus, and he had a nail in his foot that was his weakpoint since it kept his blood inside him.

But these things are over three hundred times the size of a dwarf, so is it really a weakpoint if it can be used to crush the little insects trying to pull it out?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 03:38:49 am »

They may not breathe, but whatever animates them seems to be water-soluable. Get them underwater and they will never move again.

Actually, they simply can't swim. Makes sense being made of solid bronze. Depending on if they still sever on breaks you can pin a BC in a pool and then break it's limbs off at leisure. Still can't kill it though.

LOl what if joint locks on the neck were possible? Imagine the glitch where you break a BCs neck and his neck comes off yet his head is somhoe still attatched.

Just add [JOINT] to the neck in the raws, and fatality away.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 01:31:10 pm »

Well, they are hard to kill indeed. They are like boss enemies, somewhat. It's fun to be chased by one, especially when his strikes get all glanced away, blocked by your shield. I ran 10 minutes from a colossus till I noticed that he doesn't go away. So I had to give up to starvation with my legendary alligator killer.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 01:48:52 pm »

Bronze Colossi would be cool if they had a weak point like a heart gem like a Zelda-style boss.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 05:03:35 pm »

Bronze Colossi would be cool if they had a weak point like a heart gem like a Zelda-style boss.

It seems that the first myth about a Bronze Colossi involved it having a nail imbedded in its right ankle that would de-animate it if removed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pathos

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 05:35:15 pm »

The callous bronzed heads of my forebears sit upon the mantlepiece, watching me, judging me. Their features are stern, strong, hawk-like in their intense and predacious gaze. They see me as a weak creature of flesh, not capable of standing up to their bronze might.

Soon I will show them.

Soon I will be steel.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 08:26:03 pm »

In the current version, that makes you pretty much invincible.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:52 am »

They can learn to swim though, and if they do they have a respectable 2500 swim speed.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 10:37:43 am »

Nah, base-line colossi can't learn anything, much less swimming. Now, if you mod them to CAN_LEARN, they can pick it up, but a learning colossus's sudden ability to swim is probably its least terrifying aspect. Multi-legendary BCs are vaguely hilarious, in the 'everything in a ten-mile radius is in pieces' sorta' way.
Ask not!
Ask!

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 08:08:35 pm »

[MELTING_POINT:11868]

8)

You figure it out :p.

Yea, they're a real bitch. There only weakness is magma/lava and slate hammers.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »

And long drops. Cave-ins. Being hacked at with steel+ by something their own size (sometimes). Dragons.

And...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
not slate.

You're going to have some poor fool with an artifact slate hammer get squished... which may have been your intention, I guess. It would be pretty funny.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 [2] 3