Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats the greatest fort youve bilt!  (Read 963 times)

The fish cleaner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whats the greatest fort youve bilt!
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:09:33 am »

Mine is the one im playing right now, its got 10 dwarfs and a whole level full of workships!Im in the process of bilding a lever right now and when its done i will rain magma all over goblinkind!!!!  8) The only problem is i dont have enough food or futurite but ill soon have over 30000 wealth so i doubt that will be a problem!
Blackened roar massive roar fills the crumbling sky shattered goal fills his soul with a ruthless cry!

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the greatest fort youve bilt!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 11:36:10 am »

I played Dwarf Heaven in 40d. That map had 2 or 3 Giant Cave Spiders. One was very nice and killed a bunch of fire imps before a survivor lit the forest on fire (the GCS then jumped into the fire and killed the imp before falling into the magma). I then set upon the task of catching the surviving GCS (never found the third one). Once it was caught, I used it to build a silk farm. I forget my exact figures (I posted them in the Best Idea Ever thread), but it pulled in something like 20,000 db per use (which took about a  month) due to my legendary weavers. I was literally giving the dwarf caravans a 10,000 profit after buying almost everything from them. It was insane. The fort eventually died due to boredom, 200 dwarves were massacring my fps.

EDIT: I checked that thread, the silk farm gave 432,000 db a year.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 11:38:21 am by Rotten »
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 11:39:19 am »

Quadruple platinum veins.Nuff said.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:17:42 pm »

I had a pure economic Power Fort once in 40D, It had everything except silk, platinum, bauxite, and adamantine. it was surrounded by a sea of traps so I just ignored sieges. I just pulled the depot door shut to prevent job cancellations.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:35:20 pm »

Not sure - I've had several very memorable forts. Reinhammers is the only one I've uploaded that has received much community attention, but quite a few others have lasted nearly as long and have been just as fun.

Now that the new version's out I've got the itch to start up a new fortress. My first attempt ended early due to acid rain. I'm thinking about settling on a glacier, but some of the appeal is gone now that it's so much easier to get to the cave systems/farmland. I'll probably just spend my time map-browsing until I find something really interesting that compels me to keep playing.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: What's the greatest fort you've built?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:37:23 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51916.0

Quote from: Untelligent link=topic=51916.msg1121606#msg1121606  date=1270064244
I expect there won't be a whole lot more like it before  the release of DF2010.

*points to the date*

EDIT: evidently, dates in quote headers are broke. It's the first post in the thread, anyway.

On a related note, I recently came across a community fort with the goal of using v31's new features to create a 100 z-level tower. C'mon guys, you could do that back in 40d. You can do better than that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:41:35 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 02:44:23 pm »

While screwing around with religion in the entity_default raws, I wound up generating a dwarf town with a 7 story temple made of pure platinum.