Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outpost liason making my fortress an "official land"  (Read 17668 times)

Dood

• Bay Watcher
  • !!piggy!!
    • View Profile
Outpost liason making my fortress an "official land"
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:19:59 pm »

So it looks like the outpost liason wants my fortress to become an official colony of my civilization (See pics).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Has anyone else encountered that yet. I searched the forum but didn't find anything. My guess is that this is pretty much analogous to getting a baron. But it seems that this time I can choose one of my own dwarves as the new baron.
So to elaborate on the background: I had my fortress running for a few years, but didn't bother assigning a sheriff/captain of the guard. Then I figured I would actually like to have a dungeon master to tame alls those jabberers. They usually don't come to the fortress without a justice systen, so I appointed some useless dwarf as captain of the guard and a few minutes later this message pops up. (It actually happened twice since the game crashed after the first time and I had to use an old save. So it is reproducible.)

If anyone is interested I will report back with the results once something interesting happens.

I also love how he says "Merit deserves a reward", since the last dwarven caravan got slaughteres horribly by a bunch of goblin invaders. :D

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost liason making my fortress an "official land"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 02:22:36 pm »

The baron thing has been re-done. Now instead of some jack-ass coming to your fort to tax it's residents, you choose one of your dwarves to be that jack-ass.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Dood

• Bay Watcher
  • !!piggy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:25:13 pm »

Oh well, the Baron article in the wiki actually says exactly that. I kept looking in the liason article. Nevermind then.  :)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 04:07:25 pm »

After you accept it and select some dorf, liaison will go back home and some time later you will get announcement that the dorf is a useless baron now.
What is more interesting is whether anyone managed to get DM after receiving a baron.
I have no such slots in [n], and liaison never suggested to appoint one either.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 04:21:13 pm »

just had this happen myself.

I hit escape and that backed out of selecting the baron...

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:37:02 pm »

A thing to note is that the baron isn't useless, as you can still control what the dwarf does. Just make sure that whichever dwarf you elevate doesn't have a fetish for slade strands or something and your fort can continue on as before. :)

ZaDoktor

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarves and Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 06:50:49 pm »

A thing to note is that the baron isn't useless, as you can still control what the dwarf does. Just make sure that whichever dwarf you elevate doesn't have a fetish for slade strands or something and your fort can continue on as before. :)

Yeah, I chose one based on him being competent, empathetic, all-around a great dwarf.

That and he liked rope-reed fiber instead of something like nickel silver.

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 07:44:54 pm »

So if I make my legendary metalsmith into a Baroness, she'll still smith instead of turning into some lever-pulling ninny?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:56:29 pm »

Any news on the Master of Dungeons, then?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 11:16:21 pm »

So if I make my legendary metalsmith into a Baroness, she'll still smith instead of turning into some lever-pulling ninny?
Yes, at least for now. Toady could fix this as 'bug' later, since Baron tags assume he/she does not work.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 12:15:40 am »

I did exactly that. You can even continue to reassign labors.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.