Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Random Design idea : Magma curtainwall

(1/4) > >>

ASnogarD:
As most of my forts barely make it past the initial migrations, its usually rare for my poor brewer, affectionately named Booze, to brew any booze... thus my wonderfull (potentially) idea will probably never see a fort unless you lot are intrested...

Switch on imagination :

- A empty channel / moat walled with obsidian , with retractable bridge/s providing access over moat.
- Above the moat is a exit for a magma channel
- During attacks magma is pumped through the channel so that it pours into the empty moat in a manner that blocks access to the fortress.

in effect a door made of molten magma, that should discourage the door-to-door elves... yes ?

Possible ? Dont know, never worked with magma before ... or pumps, or obsidian...hell I barely manage to wet my farmland :P
I actually imagined it to look a lot more grander... the whole channel and moat built into a structure that looks like a huge fancy door with the sides sloping up at angles with a small access route inside to the top of the 'door' and access to fortifications above the 'doorway'.

Has it been done ? Is it doable ?
I just had the idea , but doubt I could actually make it work so instead of letting the idea slide I figured you guys may enjoy taking a crack at it for a laugh.

EDIT: Spelling :P

ISGC:
what about just a magma waterfall constantly flowing with obsidian flood gates at the top that will close when a lever is pulled, diverting the magma to fall on either side of the obsidian bridge over a moat below
shouldn't be too hard with a volcano.

lanceleoghauni:
When I saw magma Written as "Manga" I couldn't help but think of piles of Doujinoshi and other manga pour down from above, slicing elves to ribbons from the papercuts.

zagibu:
Random design idea taken to the next level: replace all doors with on/off-switchable magmafalls. Magma CAN fall through magma-safe grates, right?

sonerohi:
Just make a magma moses.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version