Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40

Author Topic: Temporal Anomaly: I've got a baaaaad feeling about this  (Read 23806 times)

Pathos

Re: Temporal Anomaly: Like necromancy, but with more screaming
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2010, 02:07:49 pm »

I think The Pale white shadow is about the Moon. Starting with The Transcendent man sounds good.

You might have a point, there. Then again, studying a book about the moon might give us something interesting about how they're behaving. Lunar cycle altering brain chemistry etc.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2010, 02:54:43 pm »

>Added to Patho's idea, absorb matter from your thighs and add to your brain's ability to process and store information. While reading, eat some of the bread in your briefcase, if there's still some left.
You could do that, though it might be a bit risky. I'd have to adjust the probability scale for this specific event because of the delicacy and complexity of the task. Its much more difficult to effect your own brain because you're essentially operating one the thing which tells you how to operate. Side effects may be unpleasant should you fail. However, should you practice on other human subjects your chances of success may increase.

Transcendent man seems to have won the poll
You open the worn cover of The Transcendent Man and find a very different book then what you expected. Rather then some trans-human dream it's a book of philosophy, specifically a philosophy glorifying war and violence. Its pages are thick with graphic depictions of battle and detailed analysis of the virtue to be found within murder. Beyond it's violence it also supports a type of extreme but unfocused Xenophobia, consigning a plethora of bizarre attributes to it's unnamed enemies and hinting that these attributes could be used against any group regardless of circumstance. Outside, the bombs are still falling.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2010, 03:10:12 pm »

Conclusions: These people are crazy and you are probably their karmic retribution for millenia of pointless warfare.

>Please don't start messing with your own brain just yet. We need it to perceive the books.

>Read Father of the Titans next. Essays of Peace after that.

Pathos

« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2010, 03:53:57 pm »

Conclusions: These people are crazy and you are probably their karmic retribution for millenia of pointless warfare.

>Please don't start messing with your own brain just yet. We need it to perceive the books.

>Read Father of the Titans next. Essays of Peace after that.

So... Pretty much like the modern world? I don't mind, as long as it means we get to kill everything.

>Father of the Titans IS probably a safe bet, although it'll more than likely be a history of the modern world with all the major factions being influenced by the writings (or whatever) of a guy called Alexander Moench.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2010, 04:31:51 pm »

On to the next one eh?

You open the next book, a hard back with a black and white image of a rather serious looking man on the front. The book is a combination biography and history text chronicling the life of Alexander Moench and his effects on science, specifically his work on military tech. Moench was captured by allies in may of 1945 and after several months in a POW camp was whisked back to America to work on project TITAN, the next in a line of military experiments taking place after the failure of the Manhattan project. His work brought about the maximization of military technologies and the creation of ever larger instruments of war to use against the constant Russo-Japanese threat which had immerged soon after V-E day. Considering the book continues on to the death of the scientists 34 years after his capture its clear that it's that the current date is at least 1980, if not later. The bombing has begun to lighten, but are still going on.

Pathos

« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2010, 04:54:22 pm »

> Dreams of the Halcyon: Essays of Peace or Pale White Shadow: Ruminations on our Closest Neighbor. Your pick, guys.

On to the next one eh?

You open the next book, a hard back with a black and white image of a rather serious looking man on the front. The book is a combination biography and history text chronicling the life of Alexander Moench and his effects on science, specifically his work on military tech. Moench was captured by allies in may of 1945 and after several months in a POW camp was whisked back to America to work on project TITAN, the next in a line of military experiments taking place after the failure of the Manhattan project. His work brought about the maximization of military technologies and the creation of ever larger instruments of war to use against the constant Russo-Japanese threat which had immerged soon after V-E day. Considering the book continues on to the death of the scientists 34 years after his capture its clear that it's that the current date is at least 1980, if not later. The bombing has begun to lighten, but are still going on.

I C WAT U DID THAR

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2010, 07:21:50 pm »

> Dreams of the Halcyon: Essays of Peace or Pale White Shadow: Ruminations on our Closest Neighbor. Your pick, guys.

On to the next one eh?

I C WAT U DID THAR
Nice simple alternate time line before shit starts to really fuck up. You guys are just out of "tutorial mode" so expect more dangerous shit to happen. You get a "Checkpoint" when ever you're in relative safety like this, but otherwise death is death.

Pathos

« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2010, 07:39:59 pm »

Nice simple alternate time line before shit starts to really fuck up. You guys are just out of "tutorial mode" so expect more dangerous shit to happen. You get a "Checkpoint" when ever you're in relative safety like this, but otherwise death is death.

I meant the whole "war carried on because America didn't manage to make a nuke and instead just made bigger cannons". The fact England is being bombed adds to this.

We need to know what the last three books are about so...
>Read the blurb and report back, please.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2010, 08:16:23 pm »

I meant the whole "war carried on because America didn't manage to make a nuke and instead just made bigger cannons". The fact England is being bombed adds to this.

We need to know what the last three books are about so...
>Read the blurb and report back, please.
Dreams of the Halcyon: Essays of Peace: Several famous authors gather together to share their visions of a possible world without war.

Pale white shadow: Ruminations on our closest neighbor: A collection of scientific papers about the moon

Washington:The rise and fall: Chronicles the rise to power of Lawrence Washington and his eventual in-statement of permanent marshal law in America.

Pathos

« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2010, 08:21:37 pm »

Dreams of the Halcyon: Essays of Peace: Several famous authors gather together to share their visions of a possible world without war.

Pale white shadow: Ruminations on our closest neighbor: A collection of scientific papers about the moon

Washington:The rise and fall: Chronicles the rise to power of Lawrence Washington and his eventual in-statement of permanent marshal law in America.

Pale White Shadow has the highest chance of being useful to us, I reckon, as international politics is probably not all that useful in our current situation, whilst we MAY find something of interest in the moon book.

I'm not able to decide. Everyone else who appears to have disappeared?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2010, 08:26:04 pm »

Pale White Shadow has the highest chance of being useful to us, I reckon, as international politics is probably not all that useful in our current situation, whilst we MAY find something of interest in the moon book.

I'm not able to decide. Everyone else who appears to have disappeared?
I'm beginning to think this belongs in the RP board since, in so far, we seem to be getting only about 4 or 5 people participating and I know more then that frequent this board. *Shrug* I 'unno

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2010, 08:30:36 pm »

Eh, I thought I was overplaying a little, so I gave the others some game-time

>Study time is over. Its time to think of some goals. The 'Watchers' have taken note of the rifts in time, and there are still cell phones to be marketed. These American or English scientists may have the materials available to help with time travel, unless that becomes a 'power'

Oh no, if it's going to be doomed, it would be cool to wrap up a conclusion, I love time-altering stories
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:32:10 pm by smigenboger »
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2010, 08:45:35 pm »

Eh, I thought I was overplaying a little, so I gave the others some game-time

>Study time is over. Its time to think of some goals. The 'Watchers' have taken note of the rifts in time, and there are still cell phones to be marketed. These American or English scientists may have the materials available to help with time travel, unless that becomes a 'power'

Oh no, if it's going to be doomed, it would be cool to wrap up a conclusion, I love time-altering stories
Doomed, no, I intend to keep this thing going till either no one is playing or we all reach a point we can comfortably call "the end".

And, as of right now, there are multiple ways to wander through time, from machine and super power to sheer dumb luck and random occurrence. You are rather unstable in your time period so you may drop somewhere else at anytime but there are ways to initiate it on your own. 

As per goals, go ahead and work those out amongst yourself and the other players and let me know when you have a specific thing you'd like to do. I can't really make the character think of goals on his own because I know to much and would skew the story. I can however tell you that you have about long enough to read one more book, get a short nap or do something that takes about 2 hours before the bombing finally stops. Use it wisely because this is when it officially gets fun.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temporal Anomaly: Just call me "Thunder Thighs"
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2010, 08:49:57 pm »

>Sleepy time, it's been quite a while since you slept. It would also be nice to carry something more deadly than a briefcase around, if the opportunity arises. I'm guessing the weapon from the woman is obliterated by now
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Pathos

Re: Temporal Anomaly: Just call me "Thunder Thighs"
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2010, 08:53:11 pm »

>Sleepy time, it's been quite a while since you slept. It would also be nice to carry something more deadly than a briefcase around, if the opportunity arises. I'm guessing the weapon from the woman is obliterated by now

This.

Also, for a long term goal, we should find out whatever played with us (during the Seizuretron game) and made us into some kind of crazy superhero. AND, if we last here long enough, try and stop the war and maybe start a cult revolving around us.

Let's see if others believing we're a god CAN make us more powerful.

Oh, and...
>Try and find a book satchel to carry the other books in. At the very least, they might absorb a bullet or two.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:08:17 pm by Pathos »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 40