Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: My Magma! something is stealing my Magma!!!  (Read 31376 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Magma! something is stealing my Magma!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 10:46:14 am »

How are you getting magma under your furnaces?

The most reliably way is a sealed room with the only entrance being an iron pump. You can pump magma into the room to fill it up, and as there are no exits to the room there is no way for magma to ever leave, so the furnaces will always have power to operate regardless of how much magma you're using for other megaprojects.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 11:47:40 am »

I think i know what my problem "May" be.

Right now What Im doing is using the top layer of Magma.  I dig out an area, and build my smelteries and forges directly above it. Then I channel out  some stone and the magma flows into the area and fills it up.  In the past, because Magma columns were easier to get to I usually did these 4 or 5 layers BELOW the top layer.  Somehow however I don't think this is enough of a difference.  You don't "Use up" magma when you smelt or smith, its not like im hauling it up one bit of a time and thus using it up. 

More to the point at my first Smelting sight,  the drop in magma continued Long after I stopped using it and now its  down a full layer.  The area I dug out under the forges is now fully empty of magma. At my new sight same thing is happening, way too fast for me to be "using it up" the level below is already down to 6/7 less then a few months after me starting there.  I honestly don;t want to play the map again till I figure out what is happening.

To anyone that wants to experiment or maybe see what is going on using a test program or reveal, heres the save,
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2288
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:53 pm »

Damn elves stealing all the magma.
*Pictures an elf cackling to himself as he hauls a dripping blob of molten magma away from your fortress in his bare hands*
*Wishes he could draw*

?
OMG That is so full of win, you need ot post that in the fan art thread!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:53 pm »

It may be draining away somewhere.

Try building a pump down to it. Be sure to make it out of iron so it won't melt, and then pump the magma into a closed room just below your forges, so you always have magma to work with, isolated from the rest of the magma in the map.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 02:18:18 pm »

To anyone that wants to experiment or maybe see what is going on using a test program or reveal, heres the save,

Cant load this up in game for some reason, doesn't even show on the list.

After more poking around, looks like you did not include the raw folder, or is this even for the current version?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:23:21 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 04:24:57 pm »

Damn elves stealing all the magma.
*Pictures an elf cackling to himself as he hauls a dripping blob of molten magma away from your fortress in his bare hands*
*Wishes he could draw*

?

XD! That's hilarious, good work. Got some crazy shading/lighting effects going on in there
I feel so powerful! Inspiring others to draw.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 07:07:59 pm »

After more poking around, looks like you did not include the raw folder, or is this even for the current version?

The file I uploded was a zipp file of JUST the region, everything needed SHOULD be in there... Oh I also use MikeMaydays download, I think you need to run it on his version to work

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 07:29:22 pm »

The file I uploded was a zipp file of JUST the region, everything needed SHOULD be in there... Oh I also use MikeMaydays download, I think you need to run it on his version to work

Well, there is no raw folder in the zip file, if you are running DF2010 then you need to re-do the zip with the raw folder in it, if you are still running the older '40d' version then there is no raw in there.  Which version of maydays pack are you running?  If it is 22 or older then it is 40d, if its 23 or later you are running 2010 and need to have the raw folder in the file.

OK I tried it with 40d and the region is not useable in that either.   I would really like to check this out and see if there is something causing the problem, but need a working save.  You might check the program you are using to make the zip file and make sure it is including subfolders when compressing.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:38:41 pm by gtmattz »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »

GIve me a bit to wokr on it, I normally use a mac but have to play the new version on PC.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 08:46:14 pm »

weird, as far as I know when I compressed it it DID have a Raw file in it, I just checked, as far as I know it had one..

Any chance that compressing it on a mac, and decompressing it on a PC screws it over.  Im in the process of re compressing it to double check , but it should be there :/

new version
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2294
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:59:26 pm by Crossroads Inc. »

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:50 pm »

Could it be that there is a hole between the magma sea and hell?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 10:01:49 pm »

That is EXACTLY what it is, i ran reveal and the magma sea is draining into hell..  So your pipe there is just a timer really, until hell is exposed to the top of the pipe...

QUICK FLOOR IT OVER !

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 10:04:49 pm »

That is EXACTLY what it is, i ran reveal and the magma sea is draining into hell..  So your pipe there is just a timer really, until hell is exposed to the top of the pipe...

QUICK FLOOR IT OVER !

How the heck would there be a hole from the magma sea to hell? Besides punching into an adamantine vein and punching into the wall of the magma sea, but I think you'd notice that.

Edit: I'm gonna look for myself.

Edit2: Big file, heh.....
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:08:06 pm by smjjames »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 10:07:26 pm »

Actually looking at this map its all messed up, I am willing to bet it is something related to the reclaim on the fort.   I think toady may actually want to have a look at this?

Under the magma sea is a layer of SMR covering the whole map save for a 1x3 embark tile area in the south east, which is where the leak is.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:12:00 pm by gtmattz »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 10:11:41 pm »

This fort was screwed originally because "Reclaim" *cleans* up everything, originally "cleaning" up all the mud... I wonder if it "Cleaned" something that ended up creating a void between the magma sea and hell? Oy Iive got to channel a pit and save some magma before its all gone!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5