Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: My Magma! something is stealing my Magma!!!  (Read 31272 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: My Magma! something is stealing my Magma!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 10:13:12 pm »

This fort was screwed originally because "Reclaim" *cleans* up everything, originally "cleaning" up all the mud... I wonder if it "Cleaned" something that ended up creating a void between the magma sea and hell? Oy Iive got to channel a pit and save some magma before its all gone!!

I don't think its anything cleaned up, it looks more like the underground layers got scrambled somehow, as there are areas that look like seams where stuff doesn't match.

By the way, there are 40 z levels of semi molten rock under the majority of the rest of the sea, but the area over on the right is 40 z levels of what looks to resemble empty magma sea terrain with a 13 level tall magma fall that would look pretty spectacular on a visualizer in it and a single layer of SMR between the floor of that cavern and hell.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:17:55 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 10:14:08 pm »

Actually looking at this map its all messed up, I am willing to bet it is something related to the reclaim on the fort.   I think toady may actually want to have a look at this?

Under the magma sea is a layer of SMR covering the whole map save for a 1x3 embark tile area in the south east, which is where the leak is.

Heh, reclaim is known to create a crapload of problems. So.... yea, I guess it would be useful as its one of the more gamebreaking reclaim bugs, depending on your situation.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 10:26:15 pm »

Well you guys have the file... Be sure to send it to Toady, It seems in time.. my Ice fortress will be doomed without magma to keep it warm.. till that day comes, we Shall soldier one!  A bloody shame to, the amount of Adamite I can mine is ridiculous, and the size of the caverns incredible.

Can you show me some reveals of the area? I'd love ot see it all.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 10:31:43 am »

Quick update, The magma is sinking faster now it seems, For those that downloaded it, Can you post screenshots of the bottom layers, I am curious just what happend.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 02:15:23 pm »

Quick update, The magma is sinking faster now it seems, For those that downloaded it, Can you post screenshots of the bottom layers, I am curious just what happend.

Just get DFHack(make sure to get the 2010 version) and run the reveal tool yourself, it will be much better than any screenshots...  I suggest doing it on a copy of the region to alleviate any danger of corrupting your save unintentionally.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 04:13:25 pm »

Wow...  This is...  The best thing to come out of the Elven world since Cacame himself!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 04:58:25 pm »

These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 05:27:14 pm »

These are the kinds of bugs that make DF the game it is.  Magma vanishing?  Oops, it's all being sucked down by hell.

This is how everything works. This, right here, is DF.
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

AzureShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 08:12:19 pm »

This, my good friend, is replacing my sig. Perfect description of how this game works. xD

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2010, 09:15:59 pm »

Actually, this magma leakage is due to a bug I observed since the first time I played DF2010. I never expected it to be so catastrophic to the point of breaching hell itself though.
Some stonesense bliss:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This happened because DF generetes the terrain on each one of its 48x48 quads more or less independently, and each of the 48x48 quads seems to have some "height" measure of its own.
Whenever you are in a map with global worldgen terrain "steps" like this one, the quad's internal height values don't match properly, and you have those maps where there are one or two Z-levels of discrepancy between the magma sea on the "high" and "low" tiles (specially common on mountainsides). However since the magma sea is thick, and so is the SMR layer below it, we don't have many issues (other than the odd dwarf digging into the magma sea from the SIDE, yes it can happen).
In this case because the fort sits on an obscene cliff, the "fault" between the quads is so great that the magma sea's side breached into hell, and voila, you have this.. There's a perfect match between where the giant cliff starts and where the magma sea breaches into hell.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 09:46:10 pm »

This, my good friend, is replacing my sig. Perfect description of how this game works. xD

Yay, I got sigged! A legendary day for me.
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 10:45:25 pm »

Holy %##@ Djohaal!!!

That pic of the magma flow is almost terrifying.. All that Magma just emptying out into hell.. And its just going away isn't it? Hells bottom layer is like a chasm, no amount of magma would fill it? So the magma cliff my fort embarked caused a tectonic split of such epicness it split the magma sea into hell?

Good lord where is toady?

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 10:11:06 am »

so which is faster?  The magma regen process or the magma eating process?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 10:15:45 am »

so which is faster?  The magma regen process or the magma eating process?

Well the pipe is continually dropping, so it exceeds the pipe refill, we will see what happens when it gets down to the sea I guess.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 05:57:45 pm »

I think that it'll eventually ebb to a slow ~1-3 flow but will be a constant drain on your FPS: eventually the amount pouring in will equal the amount of refill, and so while it'll still drain down it will never be gone completely.  The real question is will it expose hell, thus ending the fort?

I for one would interpret this as an omen from Armok, telling you to see this wonder and honor it, creating its likeness elsewhere, and building a huge underground temple to the magma.  You should seal yourself underground, away from the sun, which is jealous of the magma's fiery glory.  Any who come seeking you should be judged and, if found wanting, become a sacrifice unto your molten king.

This is the herald of Ragna-Rock: you have now but precious little time left to ensure that your entire fortress (including caverns) is sealed off before the demons are unleashed.  Any more immigrants you receive will have to dismantle/rebuild a pair of constructed walls that act as an airlock if they want to enter your fort.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5