Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should the leader of the Automatons be made of?

Platinum
Diamond
Platinum bones and Diamond tissue

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Automaton Fortress (2.0)  (Read 25952 times)

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automaton Fortress (Brainstorming Phase, please post your ideas)
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 01:27:36 pm »

Bender is awesome  8). Now the somewhat big question: should oil and the like be producible from all plants and stones?
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 01:31:28 pm »

No, only select stones and plants. You can't make oil from strawberries!

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 01:35:05 pm »

Ah, good point. I bet a lot of people that would potentially use this upcoming mod are glad I had a brainstorming phase. If you (and others) wouldn't mind, could you please make a list of the stones and plants used for oil and such? I am asking this of the community because a lot of people may not know how to mod, and I can just change something I don't like.

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 01:41:56 pm »

Castor oil plant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_bean

I know you can make pure alcohol from corn,wheat, and sugar cane.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 01:48:57 pm »

Castor I would have to mod in, corn and wheat are already in, and Mephansteras has a sugar cane in his Civilization Forge. That works quite nicely, but they may not appear often, leading to stone. Perhaps the rarer oil should be more valuable.

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 01:53:12 pm »

Custom plants are really easy to mod in. I have a whole slew of them in the mod I am working on, with all sorts of custom reactions making different materials (although I cannot seem to make seeds a by product of the reaction.) The easiest way to make it "drinkable oil" would be to simply change the name of the booze associated with the plant in the raws.

I had another idea too, you could make a reaction that created various types of oil by rendering fat (how whale blubber is made into oil.)

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 02:01:06 pm »

I like the render fat idea, I could change the names, that would be easy, but Dwarf Fortress is more Fun when it's hard  ;D.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 02:55:52 pm »

Any chance you could make oil spawn in pockets like water? Or is it hard-coded?

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 03:03:20 pm »

Its hardcoded.

IronVanguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 04:00:51 pm »

Could you make it appear in pockets underground as a rock, and have it be a liquid at room temperature? Then again, you'd probably just get lots of spills....

Also, any chance the oil could be flammable/explosive?

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 04:01:24 pm »

Also make custom weapons and name them "-hand" (axehand, drillhand, spearhand) :D then body would use instead of arm only a small mounting point, where the axe hand attaches. Maybe it would be strange, how they could haul without hands but oh well.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 04:41:03 pm »

That would be cool.

Could you make it appear in pockets underground as a rock, and have it be a liquid at room temperature? Then again, you'd probably just get lots of spills....

Also, any chance the oil could be flammable/explosive?

As a liquid, that defeats the purpose of an oil derrick, and oil in real life needs to be processed anyway.  I could make it flammable/explosive. I was going to for the Automaton 'oil blood', but I had it too low, so it didn't work. Apparently blood is explosive, since someone told me to put the ignite point to a certain number, and the blood's ignite point was already lower. I will mess with it a bit. I will add it to the list.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 08:32:11 am »

Hmmm...
  • Oil Shale...
  • Thinking of the current situation in the Gulf of Mexico, Elves would *loathe* the automatons, especially if you can figure out how to have offshore rigs.
  • I have problems with the idea of instant repairs.  At least, without appropriate spare parts/material.  If you can glaciate the timeframe of self healing, then make spare parts required for repairing, that would be cool.
  • Painfully low birthrate if at all, perhaps new units could be produced from exceptionally rare (but ubiquitously available) ore and/or gems.
  • Automaton animals.  Trained for war.  VOLTRON!!!  ;)
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 01:52:35 pm »

Elves will hate them, of course  :P. Oil Shale is a good idea, spare parts, if possible. It will probably be a few metal bars, again, if possible. They will have a low birthrate, but fast maturity, since they're called Automaton Prototypes. Automaton animals...why not.

UmmonTL

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2010, 08:54:57 pm »

I also think they should build their offspring, if you make building offspring expensive it would lead to interesting economic problems e.g. build more soldiers or equip those you have. Taking the idea further, they could have different abilities depending on the materials used so a copper automaton is naturally weaker than one made from steel.
And as a final idea since the new version of DF has all those neat organs flying around, one resource that the automatons need to build their offspring could be the brain of a living intelligent being. This would limit your population growth to the amount of enemies you kill and force an aggressive playstyle. And it would be a hilarious revenge on those pesky invaders.  ;D

Well, I don't know if any of this is possible in the scope of a mod but those are my ideas.

PS: At least I would make humanoids butcherable so you can use their fat for food (oil) and machines have no morality.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9