Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should the leader of the Automatons be made of?

Platinum
Diamond
Platinum bones and Diamond tissue

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Automaton Fortress (2.0)  (Read 26262 times)

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automaton Fortress (1.0)
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2010, 07:36:31 pm »

Should I give mental stats to Automatons based on their castes? Copper Automatons being week, but intelligent. Steel Automatons being strong but reckless. Brass in between maybe? Please suggest things for the Brass Automatons. Or just simply state that being average for Brass Automatons works nicely.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2010, 07:42:48 pm »

If these are pretty much robots in DF, it would make more sense that they would be totally unbalanced. There would be obvious levels of superiority. Copper would be weak and unintelligent. Steel would be strong and super intelligent. Brass wouldn't be as bad as copper, but would be worse than steel.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2010, 07:47:33 pm »

That makes a lot of since, actually. I thought of it, then I decided to let the community post their ideas. I might release an updated version tonight. If not, then tomorrow.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Automaton Fortress (1.1)
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2010, 08:41:04 pm »

And clownite automatons would be the overlords/monarchs of the civilizations.
EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:45:47 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »

Clownite? A modded metal, I assume. Elaborate please.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2010, 07:49:32 am »

MEGA SPOILERS OF DOOM UP AHEAD!

He means ADAMANTINE, yes, if you havn't reached ADAMANTINE or HELL, then I spoiling the END OF THE CAVE SYSTEM for you.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2010, 08:14:48 am »

Ohhhhh it's adamantine. Lol, I didn't know it was called clownite sometimes. I assume it's for not having to do what Supercharazad did. I never saw the spoiler edit lol. If I can do that, I will. It's actually in a thread I read recently. I was going to use the idea to prevent Automatons from butchering without removing the job, as that removes the farming section (bug).

My next fortress, I'm actually going to try to breach Hell. I didn't before because when I struck Adamantine, I stopped digging. Many military bugs struck down my ideas for a military.  :(

EDIT: Those Automatons would be impossible to kill. Think carefully about that. I can make them extremely rare, but they'll still appear.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:28:27 am by dragon1423 »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2010, 10:53:26 am »

Should I give mental stats to Automatons based on their castes? Copper Automatons being week, but intelligent. Steel Automatons being strong but reckless. Brass in between maybe? Please suggest things for the Brass Automatons. Or just simply state that being average for Brass Automatons works nicely.

Brass Automatons would be brazen and bold as brass, of course!

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2010, 10:59:02 am »

Ah, good point  ;D. I am almost done with the update, I will release it today, tomorrow at the latest.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2010, 11:29:44 am »

Well, most metals had what we consider personalities associated with them by the alchemists, although most of them (like lead) wouldn't be very suitable for automatons. You could always get inspiration from the metal men

I suppose nowadays, we'd be building robots out of steel, magnesium, titanium and aluminium, but most of those don't seem very plausible for your automatons. Certainly, platinum might be worth a shot, and gold/silver too.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2010, 11:32:25 am »

Gold, silver, or platinum may be good for GaxKangtheUnbound's idea for monarchs, as they would be more killable than Adamantine Automatons.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2010, 12:04:28 pm »

Yeah. Platinum is reasonably hard for an unalloyed metal, but it's far from indestructable. Would hit pretty heavily, due to it's density, however.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2010, 08:34:27 pm »

A new poll has been added. Please vote, as it will speed up the next release of this mod. Don't vote just for the sake of voting. Consider it for a few moments, then vote.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2010, 10:58:00 pm »

I vote that the leader should be made of diamond, if you're willing to step outside of metals.

Great mod, by the way.   :D

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2010, 04:04:34 am »

Automata, man. "Automatons" is technically correct, but it's just as retarded as "colossuses".
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9