Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should the leader of the Automatons be made of?

Platinum
Diamond
Platinum bones and Diamond tissue

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Automaton Fortress (2.0)  (Read 25951 times)

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Automaton Fortress (2.0)
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:57:00 am »

Automaton Fortress is a mod the lets the player play as the Automatons, a robotic race. The Automatons survive off of fuel that is refined from a plant called castor. They do not eat or sleep (eating will be added once I get it working correctly). Automatons can be hard to kill, but they can be killed, unlike other nonliving creatures.

DOWNLOAD

Castes

Copper- Copper Automatons are the weakest and slowest learning of Automatons. They are the most common caste.

Brass- Brass Automatons are average in just about everything. They can build other Automatons.

Steel- Steel Automatons are the rarest of Automatons. They are the second strongest, toughest, and most intelligent of Automatons.

Diamond- Diamond Automatons are superior to all Automatons. Fear them, worship them, appease them.

Plants

Castor- This is the plant from which oil is refined.

Things to do:

White:Not started

Yellow:Partially done

Teal:Done. Pending release

Red:Suspended

-leader can only be a silver/gold/platinum automaton (can't designate specific caste for leader)

-Automaton animals (rovers that clean vermin and such, defensive robots, etc)

-weapon/tool hand (drill hand, axe hand, etc)

-let Automatons eat something, such as charcoal or oil

Please suggest more ideas for the Fortress. Comments and suggestions are appreciated!

The modding of this mod is open to everyone. Just download and put your name under what you added, such as 'by insertnamehere' under the creature name. Then just send what you added to me and i will add it. If i am not sure if it should be added, i will start a poll and the community will decide. If it has no tag of who made it, it is either vanilla or by me. Let's make this mod great!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:01:19 pm by Daywalkah »
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Automaton Fortress (Brainstorming Phase, please post your ideas)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:03:52 am »

Alternatively you could have them running on refined plant oil.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:05:15 am »

Plant oil will go on the list, thank you Vattic.
[NOPAIN]

I should have mentioned I already have the Automatons. I will update the first post. Sorry for any confusion.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:14:10 am »

Well, they need an energy source to be able to move. Thus perhaps processing into fuel units which can then be eaten is a good idea, but perhaps anything reasonable can be processed into fuel (or certainly wood and coal.)

How about if the automatons turn into statues when they die, and then (if these statues are complete) they can be processed back into a working automaton. Can this be done if the statues are made out of a certain material? If this works then automatons can starve to death and be reanimated, that would make quite a nice mechanic.

Talking of mechanics, another useful thing would be able to do direct repairs rather than surgery, I'm not sure how that would work though. maybe if allt he wounds they can take are mangle-style (no heal without treatment) but they have a very fast healing rate. So when the treatment is carried out the wounds are quickly repaired.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:19:11 am »

How about if the automatons turn into statues when they die, and then (if these statues are complete) they can be processed back into a working automaton. Can this be done if the statues are made out of a certain material? If this works then automatons can starve to death and be reanimated, that would make quite a nice mechanic.

I can do statues, but the rest of that idea is impossible so far. Very unfortunate as it is a cool idea.

Talking of mechanics, another useful thing would be able to do direct repairs rather than surgery, I'm not sure how that would work though. maybe if all the wounds they can take are mangle-style (no heal without treatment) but they have a very fast healing rate. So when the treatment is carried out the wounds are quickly repaired.

That is a cool idea, but i'm not sure how to implement it. I could give them a very sow healing rate so it takes years, if I can't just put NONE for the healing rate. I will ask around.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:03:04 pm »

Yeah and magma powered would be coolest :D shame there is no way it could be done*.

But i have an idea to give no_drink tag and leave only food, which could be oil, or coal fabs, or fancy meals from minerals and ores (mm adamantine waffers).
Maybe give them a "Leaves statue on death" tag so instead of graveyard it would be statue yard :)

* could be done but way harder than modding.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 12:08:01 pm »

Those ideas are good. I think the main debate would be to have no_food or no_drink. Maybe we could leave both out, have the Automatons eat charcoal and such, while drinking oil. They already leave statues now, it's a good idea.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 12:10:19 pm by dragon1423 »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 12:35:09 pm »

You could always add a special food material poison to all living animals.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 12:51:12 pm »

That is an interesting idea. If there is oil, it will be in.

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 12:53:35 pm »

You could have a variety of different drinks for them, such as pure alcohol(made from a plant,) synthetic oil (made from a plant,) regular oil (made from rocks as you suggested.)

I was actually toying with the idea of a non-organic food supply for one of my races. You could make a slew of custom reactions for making the food, and assign them only to your race in the raws. That way, only your race could make them, and the other races wouldn't bring them to trade etc.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 12:55:50 pm »

The different oils is a good idea, but I'm not sure a living statue would consume pure alcohol.

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 01:00:43 pm »

I was thinking of Bender from Futurama when I wrote that. It can be used like gasoline.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 01:19:09 pm »

Ohhhhhhhh, I will add it to the list.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 01:23:49 pm »

Bender fortress ::).
;D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9