Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: Water / magma submarine  (Read 112620 times)

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water / magma submarine
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2010, 04:31:41 pm »

It worked!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

on the z levels above and below the obsidian are magma.

More can be placed on top of what I have there via obsidian casting. Next time I just have to make the base wider so I actually have room for a fully functional fort.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2010, 05:04:50 pm »

so basically you sent water down, rather than obsidian?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 17, 2010, 05:13:41 pm »

I've got another idea. If you made a t shaped obsidian block like this: ===||===
                                                                                                   ||

and you put a launching platform beneath it, not as wide as the "t" part, wouldn't it snag on the platform, with the lower levels beneath the magma?
Nope. Things fall as far as they can. You'll get a two-, and in some parts three-layered obsidian carpet.

Edit:
It worked!

on the z levels above and below the obsidian are magma.

More can be placed on top of what I have there via obsidian casting. Next time I just have to make the base wider so I actually have room for a fully functional fort.

WHoa. Please explain how you did this (didn't really get your explanation on last page, I thought it wouldn't work) - this is what we've been trying to do for the last fifteen pages!

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2010, 05:26:04 pm »

I think he somehow cast it inside the magma sea, rather than dropping it into it.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 17, 2010, 05:35:41 pm »

But if there's a dwarf in there, and he didn't use the hammer method...

wait, was the magma drained or something?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2010, 06:52:04 pm »

maybe its a giant obsidian tower extending to the surface?

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:55 pm »

To start with I dug out a huge room above the magma sea. I then channeled out the floors and I dropped water from a chamber I had setup above it.

Drop the water into the magma and a square of obsidian forms on the z level below. Which I open to the magma below with placing up/down stairs so the water can go through and form another square of obsidian.

If you still aren't getting what I'm saying I'd suggest looking at the wiki's article on aquifers because similar principals apply for getting through them. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Aquifer

Once I get near the bottom I use the uneven magma sea floor for support. As magma flow tiles (the floors created on the z level above semi-molten rock) provide support to tiles next to them.

Then I just channel out the cone down on my way up. Leaving the lowest z level which is now supported from below by SMR rather than by above.

Metroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2010, 09:11:06 pm »

I feel like everyone is just trying this out now. Congratulations on winning my internets for the week.
Euler's identity can be used to quickly (and informally) verify DeMoivre's Theorem.

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2010, 09:25:56 pm »

I feel like everyone is just trying this out now. Congratulations on winning my internets for the week.

I'm included in that group. I set the one I used here in an off fort to test if it'd work. I'm now putting it into my main fortress.

There's nothing more dwarfy I can think of than a fortress under the magma sea.

impractical, check. impressive, check. involves magma, check. high chance of ending horrible Fun, check.
We just need a way to kill elves while we're at it.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2010, 09:46:48 pm »

maybe its a giant obsidian tower extending to the surface?

Ohhhhh, it's this.

Once I get near the bottom I use the uneven magma sea floor for support. As magma flow tiles (the floors created on the z level above semi-molten rock) provide support to tiles next to them.

Then I just channel out the cone down on my way up. Leaving the lowest z level which is now supported from below by SMR rather than by above.

I thought you'd actually managed to drop a dwarf in a bubble, completely sealed off from the surface, as part of the whole thing.  :'(

But that's still pretty cool, and that's valuable information about the magma flow tiles (we concluded it was impossible before as semi-molten rock destroys terrain you drop on it).

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2010, 10:37:20 pm »

When I tried dropping an obsidian "bowl" into magma in the arena, with a bunch of creatures in and above the water, it seemed that the creatures didn't even start falling until the bowl fell and the obsidian cap formed.  In retrospect this makes sense: cave-ins have always seemed instantaneous, while creatures can take many clockticks to reach the ground.

A lot of what's been posted here I don't understand, but it seems impossible to drop dwarves into magma and end up with them encased in a protective shell of obsidian.

The hammer method looks good though: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56305.msg1237578#msg1237578
I may give it a try.  I've got an idea for a twist, too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2010, 10:51:31 pm »

I thought you'd actually managed to drop a dwarf in a bubble, completely sealed off from the surface, as part of the whole thing.  :'(

sorry but I don't think we'll be able to just drop blocks down and have it work in this version.

Though if you manage to setup some pumps that drains any magma flowing in from an opening to above you might be able to drop a dwarf down in on to a kitten as I believe I remember hearing that dwarfs wouldn't be hurt by the magma as they fall. I have yet to test that the magma wouldn't hurt them though.

Also, another way to have an undermagma fortress besides going all the way down could use the aquifer bypassing method that my original way did but use supports instead. So you would not have to go all the way down or have to have an uneven part of the sea floor.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2010, 11:14:41 pm »

This is a long and unlikely shot, but what happens when a cage linked to a lever falls? My guess is instant deconstruction, but it would technically be a way to drop a dwarf, alive and whole to the bottom of the (magma) sea. They'd be in statis with no chance of release, but alive, right?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2010, 11:27:38 pm »

I believe the SMR would either destroy the cage, or else the magma would. magma safe cages, I don't know.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2010, 11:54:33 pm »

Cages may not be viable for the first Dwarves you send down, but they could be used to transport additional personnel to your submagmatic base.

Now I'm wondering if barrels made of magma-safe materials could be used to safely transport food and booze.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18