Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Water / magma submarine  (Read 112549 times)

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water / magma submarine
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 09:50:50 pm »

Maybe some dwarves will write songs about these constructions.
We all live in a magma submarine, a magma submarine, a magma submarine...
Orthoclase submarine, orthoclase submarine, orthoclase submarine...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 09:52:54 pm »

In the land
Were I migrated to
There was a dwarf
Who was crazy!
And he told
us of hes life
In an orthoclase submarine!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 10:08:07 pm »

And the band
Begins to play:
(dwarven rock instruments don't make noise)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 10:10:52 pm »

I was under the impression that rock instruments were electric guitar, drums, bass, all that jazz!

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 12:12:55 am »

We MUST find a way to perfect this.
Wait, can Dwarves stand on tiles with Supports on them? This might be easier than we're making it. >_>

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 04:16:17 am »

I'm going to give this a try. I think the pods into the ocean are the most likely to yield positive results. With that said, what does one dwarf need to be happy, and more importantly, to live?

food - plump helmet seeds - should take care of food and booze needs, if you have him eat raw plump helmet
construction materials - for a still, table, chair, bed, carpenter's workshop (to make that furniture in)

am I missing anything?

(a mining pick, to connect to other pods when that becomes possible) For clarification, do you have to cast the pods from obsidian or can you simply construct them with double-thick floors? I'm a little confused on how the exact physics work.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 04:59:19 am »

I'm going to give this a try. I think the pods into the ocean are the most likely to yield positive results. With that said, what does one dwarf need to be happy, and more importantly, to live?

food - plump helmet seeds - should take care of food and booze needs, if you have him eat raw plump helmet
construction materials - for a still, table, chair, bed, carpenter's workshop (to make that furniture in)

am I missing anything?

(a mining pick, to connect to other pods when that becomes possible) For clarification, do you have to cast the pods from obsidian or can you simply construct them with double-thick floors? I'm a little confused on how the exact physics work.

You'd need barrels to store the booze in, and probably some food and booze to survive while the plants are growing. Also, a variety of seeds might be best in the long term to keep him from going into 'same old food/same old booze' depression. You could even try to build in some kind of lever-operated 'air lock' on the top so supplies can be dropped down to him from the surface.

You need to cast it from obsidian because constructed walls and floors will deconstruct during a cave in, while 'natural' walls like cast obsidian won't. If you're going to try and construct it on the sea floor rather than drop it then built walls would be fine, but you'd probably still need to do some obsidian casting to get down there.

I'm tempted to try this myself because my latest embark is a huge freshwater lake with a volcano in it.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 05:01:38 am »

Okay, so I'll have to dig down to the magma sea or whatever, pump lava up, cast big blocks of it, drop it into the ocean (with a dwarf and supplies inside), then actually make sure he lives? This is getting quite complex. I like it. I don't have much of any experience with magma casting, but it should be simple enough, if I can get through all the other challenges of building it.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 05:03:51 am »

You'd need to pump water up, too, since the walls would have to extend all the way to the surface.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 05:41:46 am »

Okay, so I'll have to dig down to the magma sea or whatever, pump lava up, cast big blocks of it, drop it into the ocean (with a dwarf and supplies inside), then actually make sure he lives? This is getting quite complex. I like it. I don't have much of any experience with magma casting, but it should be simple enough, if I can get through all the other challenges of building it.

You see, the problem here is that you can't make a pod, or at least not on land (I haven't yet tested it in water). The result of a cave-in, seen in side view:
Code: [Select]
Before cave-in:
WdW
After cave-in
W W
W's are walls, d is a dwarf, space is well... space. In the second figure, the dwarf is dead, squashed under the block of stone that just fell on top of him.

I'm tempted to try this myself because my latest embark is a huge freshwater lake with a volcano in it.

Could you give me the worldgen info for that (seed et al.)? I was going to dig out my own lake because I couldn't find one, but if you have a world with a lake, it would make things much more simple.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 06:26:17 am »

I come bearing terrible news, my friends. I have carved out (as in dug around) a stone pillar, 5x5 and fiftysomething Z-levels high, suspended by a single floor tile in midair just above the surface of the great magma sea. This time, there was no dwarf inside it as it fell for two reasons - I had no access to water and I have already tested that the fall can be survived). My hypothesis was that it, being a natural wall, wouldn't melt and so would just sink several Z-levels until it reached the semi-molten rock (which I knew was there) and stay there. In case of failure, I expected that it would melt level by level until it disappears into the magma. What happened, though, completely defied my expectations. A miner channeled out the one tile holding the entire thing in place. The pillar fell the one z-level. It touched the magma and... the bottom half of it evaporated. E-VAPORATED. The upper half (not exactly probably, I don't really know) turned into 7/7 squares of magma, which then proceeded to fall down the now empty shaft and increase the level of magma.
Now, while this obviously makes any further attempts at making a magmasub futile, it creates a lot of new options, because it is essentially a very simple, if non-renewable, way to move magma fast to upper levels of your fortress, eliminating the need to use pumps.

To the best of my knowledge:
  • Collapsing natural terrain onto semi-molten rock destroys the terrain (according to reports elsewhere). Semi-molten rock exists on the bottom of the magma sea.
  • Falling terrain displaces liquids upwards. From the description given above, this could be what is happening with the teleporting magma.
  • Falling terrain tiles do not support other terrain tiles, and will fall until they hit something they can't go through.

The submarine idea has been floated (no pun intended) before and was concluded to be impossible due to the behaviour of falling terrain. It is wrong to think of it as a falling structure - it's actually numerous unconnected falling blocks.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 09:17:00 am »

Apparently Dwarves CAN stand on support tiles.
Fill the room up with support tiles. The only problem being that you'll not be able to send supplies with him... Hmm.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2010, 09:57:10 am »

Apparently Dwarves CAN stand on support tiles.
Fill the room up with support tiles. The only problem being that you'll not be able to send supplies with him... Hmm.

If there's nothing above a support, does it count as a wall on the z-level above?  If not, couldn't you quantum stockpile stuff through a hole in the ceiling onto a support tile, then cover the hole in the ceiling?

If not, how about this:  Build all supports except 1, quantum stockpile stuff onto the last tile.  Mass claim the quantum stockpile (and make sure there's no reason for someone to move it to a regular stockpile), and have a support constructed there.  Dwarves should move the items from the stockpile square to an adjacent square as they clear the site to build.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2010, 10:10:34 am »

That's what I was thinking, but supports are actually pretty weird right now. ._.
Don't forget to give him some stone too.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2010, 10:24:21 am »

Actually, thinking about it, wouldn't the support collapse on impact (being a constructed building).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18