Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Water / magma submarine  (Read 110077 times)

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water / magma submarine
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 10:25:54 am »

Actually, thinking about it, wouldn't the support collapse on impact (being a constructed building).
Not if it crashed into water. Magma, maybe.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2010, 10:26:23 am »

Actually, thinking about it, wouldn't the support collapse on impact (being a constructed building).

It would. And probably not even on impact, I think constructed stuff collapses immediately upon losing support.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2010, 10:29:40 am »

The problem of the roof of a pod collapsing could possibly be circumvented depending on when it collapses. A double hull has been mentioned before but if it collapses AFTER the floor has stopped falling, having two water cisterns either side of an open top sub MAY allow the water to flow into the gap where the cieling should be and solidify AFTER it lands before crushing the dwarf inside. It would need to be at least as tall as it is wide, probably a little more, and I'm relying on water hitting the gap faster than magma. Might test it soon.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:04 am »

So, I learned that Urist is afraid to drop from the top of a volcano to the magma sea. Something about oxygen. Regardless, my game crashed.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2010, 04:17:16 pm »

Interesting problem. Is there a good way to find a deep ocean? I've been finding bodies of water that are only 2 or 3 z-levels deep. Ideally, I'd love to find an ocean that was 10z deep or something. Any ideas?
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 04:20:20 pm »

Interesting problem. Is there a good way to find a deep ocean? I've been finding bodies of water that are only 2 or 3 z-levels deep. Ideally, I'd love to find an ocean that was 10z deep or something. Any ideas?

You might have better luck with freshwater lakes. I haven't checked them in 0.31, but in 40d they usually had much steeper sides than the ocean.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:35:12 pm by ItchyBeard »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2010, 05:38:43 pm »

This thread is exactly what DF should be about.

So, if I understand this correctly,
1. You can drop a hollow ball of obsidian with water+dwarf inside, and the dwarf survives.
2. If this ball lands on semi-molten rock, it is destroyed.

So has anyone successfully dropped a diving bell onto a rock surface under magma, rather than semi-molten rock?

A complicating factor may be that only natural rock / underground submarines will be able to farm. Any obsidian cast outside still counts as outside, so dumped in a lake or magma tube, damp floors still won't grow anything on them.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2010, 05:43:03 pm »

1. You can drop a hollow ball of obsidian with water+dwarf inside, and the dwarf survives.

No. When it hits the bottom, the ceiling of the ball would collapse on his head, killing him. Or maybe not - this depends whether or not the collapsing is affected by the thickness of the walls and the speed of the fall.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2010, 06:03:07 pm »

If you drop a long hollow rectangular tube with a natural wall floor but no ceiling into water, what happens to the water? Does it displace elsewhere and respect the hollow, or does physics break and the water appears within the tube?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2010, 06:07:14 pm »

No. When it hits the bottom, the ceiling of the ball would collapse on his head, killing him. Or maybe not - this depends whether or not the collapsing is affected by the thickness of the walls and the speed of the fall.

? ? ?
But what about
I dropped a 5x5x5 cube with a 3x3x3 hole in it with the lowest level filled with water with a dwarf swimming in it. He survived the fall completely unharmed. This proves beyond doubt that dwarves can survive in falling objects.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2010, 06:17:25 pm »

? ? ?
But what about
I dropped a 5x5x5 cube with a 3x3x3 hole in it with the lowest level filled with water with a dwarf swimming in it. He survived the fall completely unharmed. This proves beyond doubt that dwarves can survive in falling objects.

It wasn't hollow. It was a channeled out hole in the top side of the cube, like so:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(W - wall, d - dwarf, . - open space, ~ - water)

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2010, 06:19:10 pm »

I was under the impression that so long as there was not a 'floor' as the ceiling, but instead a solid block of natural stone, that it would fall as a unit so long as it was connected to another block of natural rock like below that to would remain intact and the dwarf would be subject to just falling damage
######
#  D     #
######
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2010, 06:28:42 pm »

I was under the impression that so long as there was not a 'floor' as the ceiling, but instead a solid block of natural stone, that it would fall as a unit so long as it was connected to another block of natural rock like below that to would remain intact and the dwarf would be subject to just falling damage
######
#  D     #
######

No. It surprised (and saddened) me too, but stones that are caving in (even natural walls) can be supported only by other walls directly below them. It is actually logical - if it didn't work this way, falling walls could "grab" a wall if they fell beside it and stay suspended.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2010, 06:36:18 pm »

going to whip up a volcanic site to do some testing on, see if I can perfect the sub pod design. Once we can drop stable structures into the water/magma, we should be able to get surviving dwarves down there with relative ease.

If only we could build retracting stairs down from the surface...
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2010, 07:03:32 pm »

With a Base made of raw obsidian grown on the top of the volcano could you not make all sides retracting bridges? no, that wouldn't work because you'd still have no roof, unless you build a retracting bridge above it I guess. if only you could slowly lower things in DF. it'd take some complicated and precise water control, but if you could make a bridge 2 Z levels below the magma it might land on it and let you recast a roof, letting you have rock pillars too, not just constructions for support.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18