Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Water / magma submarine  (Read 112632 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Water / magma submarine
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2010, 07:20:56 pm »

It wasn't hollow. It was a channeled out hole in the top side of the cube
:(

Interesting news, though:
A ceiling will NOT collapse, in certain circumstances, at least in the ARENA.
Diagram:
Code: [Select]
#######
#OOOOO#
#O777O#
#O7D7O#
#O777O#
#OOOOO#
#######

# = space
O = obsidian wall
7 = 7 water
D = dwarf

Put a 5*5 of solid obsidian immediately below that level, and another 5*5 immediately above that level.
Results: the entire structure fell properly.

I only tested this once, because my netbook runs at 0 FPS once the dust clouds start flying. The ceiling DID collapse in a second test when I left an air pocket between the stone and the water. I'll look some more tonight when I'm on my PC.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2010, 07:28:52 pm »

Interesting results! I'll add it to the list of things for the Dwarven Science Center to test. How long will the dwarf live in 7/7 water though? Long enough for the fall to complete, possibly opening up somewhere for the water to drain? Maybe a sealed water chamber with a constructed door that would pop when the pod fell...
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2010, 07:33:16 pm »

He lasted just long enough for the weird multi-material dust clouds to clear.

Ok, I just got a different result when the top layer wasn't at the top z-level of the arena, though... so it may be mode specific.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2010, 08:19:58 pm »

tried. it failed.  :(

I=suport, c=cat, +=floor, 0=wall

+++
+I +
+++

0c0

droped the cat box whitch caused a cavein killing it  :(
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2010, 08:32:43 pm »

Hmm. I just thought of something.

If you make a bubble of water in a room of natural rock, a few z-levels deep, and chuck some dwarves in the bottom, and drop it into magma, will it make it all the way down before testing for magma/water interaction?
Alternatively, if you make it deep enough, and leave some airspace above the levels of water, will it make it all the way down before the magma pours in and forms the ceiling of the room from obsidian?

If either of these works, the diving bell will successfully dive without a roof, then the roof will form, and the apparently intractible problem is reduced to the much simpler one of breeding a dwarf that breathes water.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2010, 08:42:56 pm »

I just had a sorta-brilliant idea(s)...

Idea A) Use a mineral vein in the magma sea to serve as a base, and then pipe water in as needed until the 'sub' expands to a reasonable size, and then once it is sever the umbilical cord that links it to the surface though a mean yet to be devised.

Idea B) Drop solid natural rock onto said veins and build on to of those

But how to expand the formation once it's in place with water... -ponders-
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2010, 08:49:36 pm »

Derp. If you drop a dwarf in a box of water, dig out one of the walls. It'll solidify into obsidian without letting Dorfy drown.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2010, 10:15:16 pm »

Has anyone tried caged animals/dwarves to see if that affects the results?
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2010, 10:36:40 pm »

thats... genius...

A caged dwarf should be immune to drowning, right? so he can sit in a water bubble chamber without any ill effect, probably. If we can get the water bubble to pop when dropped, we might have a winner. I'll cage a couple of animals and get this thing going.
Collosal bronze man
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2010, 11:22:41 pm »

Gentlemen, attend. I wish to report a partial success (!)

Instructions:
1. Go to arena mode.
2. In the topleft corner, position a diving bell over the extra-deep bit of magma as follows:
2.a) 3*3 obsidian on z-level (+1).
2.b) 1 empty space, filled with water and dwarves to taste, surrounded by obsidian walls on z-level (+2).
2.c) Same as for (b), sans dwarves, on z-level (+3).
3. Let it drop.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Results:
In tests so far, a near-perfect diving bell is formed, although it causes splashes of obsidian randomly around the place too.
The single-tile floor of the diving bell is completely dry of water, presumably flash-evaporated.
The single-tile floor of the diving bell is completely sealed off from the magma, and a couple of z-levels down below the magma.
The single-tile floor of the diving bell is also, sadly, completely free of dwarves. They get thrown up in the air and shaken all over the place in the cave-in process. I predict that a deeper tube, if allowed by the arena, would prevent this.

Observation: adding a third ring wall, the next z-level up, causes the water column to cavein first and smash through the magma, turning into a pillar which holds up the obsidian. Which is no good. It may depend on the update order of the terrain tiles and water tiles.

Next step: I've heard it's possible to alter the arena. If we can make it a huge cube of magma, do so. This will let us drop much larger, more complex diving bells into it, and hopefully let us design one where the dwarves stay on the inside.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2010, 12:07:43 am »

If the submarine is not painted yellow, I will be disappointed.

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2010, 12:44:00 am »

I have been unable to reproduce the water bubble preventing cave ins from collapsing all ceilings down.  I have also tried walls, fortifications, and staircases (up down and updown), and none of these prevent ceiling collapses either.  I have however managed to reproduce dante's experiment, and have found that

a.  You must have at least 2 levels of 7/7 magma to drop into
b.  You do not need two levels of water, water on only the bottom level will suffice
c.  The height you drop from doesn't matter, so long as you don't have anything on the top zlevel of the map, the top zlevel of the map, like edge boundaries, prevents caveins from falling at all. 

thus, I was able to test in the arena in the empty space on the top right by flooding with two layers of magma, for the final configuration:

3x5 lava -4
3x5 lava -3
3x5 obsidian -2
3x5 hollow obsidian (3x1 hole) filled with water -1
3x5 hollow obsidian (3x1 hole) filled with water 0

appears to work, but anywhere you put an animal, he will be turned to obsidian. 

3x3 lava -4
3x3 laval -3
3x3 obsidian -2
3x3 hollow obsidian -1 filled with water
3x3 hollow obsidian 0 no water will work as well. 

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2010, 01:34:41 am »

I love you guys.
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2010, 01:55:49 am »

Im not reading 5 pages to see if this has already been posted, but /tg/ has already done it.

It started a a simple voyage but it turned in to much more.
One dorf to brave the belly of the earth.
One dorf to go where no dorf had gone before.
It was the dwaven Enterprise.

Many problems were encountered during the construction of the mighty vessel, all of which were thwarted by the cunning and sheer mechanical skill of dwarven kind.
The hull of the beast was of pure solidified magma. A towering dual pumping system poured a thick slow mold of magma over an initial blueprint cast, followed immediately by a fast stream of icy water, hauled up from the rivers many z levels below.
An ingenious self sealing system was crafted at the entrance of the vessel, located at the very top of the hulk. Once our hero dorf was in, the system was filled with water. An obsidian block would be the plug that closed the Enterprise after launch, upon contact with the magma pool.

After a painstakingly long construction, the Enterprise was ready. Filled with booze, kitten roasts and crafts of the highest value, the ship waited for its voyage.
The hero stepped inside.
The support was dropped.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2010, 02:28:13 am »

Attempted the water-bubble method in the arena. The ceiling detaches the instant the cave-in happens, crushing the cat to death immediately. So that's a no-go. I do have a couple of other theories, involving caged dwarves.

It might be possible to drop the diving pod one layer at a time, and deposit a caged dwarf within. I've heard dwarves are oddly invulnerable from within their cages. Who knows, it might prove helpful at some point.

going to try a magma bubble for kicks.

EDIT: According to the wiki, constructions don't deconstruct until they hit the bottom. This might, might mean that it's possible to fill a room with supports and drop it into the whatever. Going to try, but it'll have to be in fortress mode since I don't think you can make supports in arena.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:36:21 am by opsneakie »
Collosal bronze man
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18