Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: Water / magma submarine  (Read 112500 times)

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water / magma submarine
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2010, 10:34:59 am »

Do liquids fall at the same speed? If so... would something like this work?

(image)

A 4x4 obsidian tube with a 2x2 hollow center.

The constructed floors would deconstruct upon drop, and everything falls. The magma forms a ceiling *AFTER* it hits the bottom with 2 walls to grab onto (assuming something doesn't go wrong).

The one problem is the displacement of the liquid you drop this into. Will it appear randomly inside the tube and mess it up?

This actually may give us the easiest way to accomplish the "seal at the bottom of the sea" effect. Considering you've already created a magma pour spigot, you just turn it on again after they hit bottom in their U shaped machine.
So how do we deal with the drowning dwarves?
If the submarine is not painted yellow, I will be disappointed.
Gypsum is magma-safe in DF2010.
We all live in a gypsum submarine!
It's full of water and we're and we're starting to drown!
Starting to drown!
Starting to drown!
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2010, 10:38:34 am »

Couldn't you have a single constructed wall leading to a big area that the water can drain into?

The submarine would look like an upside down bolt or screw, but with a really big head

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2010, 10:39:12 am »

(image)

The constructed floors would deconstruct upon drop, and everything falls. The magma forms a ceiling *AFTER* it hits the bottom with 2 walls to grab onto (assuming something doesn't go wrong).

The one problem is the displacement of the liquid you drop this into. Will it appear randomly inside the tube and mess it up?

This actually may give us the easiest way to accomplish the "seal at the bottom of the sea" effect. Considering you've already created a magma pour spigot, you just turn it on again after they hit bottom in their U shaped machine.
If the submarine is not painted yellow, I will be disappointed.
Gypsum is magma-safe in DF2010.
We all live in a gypsum submarine!
It's full of water and we're and we're starting to drown!
Starting to drown!
Starting to drown!
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

It's a test vessel; the point is to find out how to not splatter your dwarves.  THEN you fix the problems that solving the first problem creates.

DocDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2010, 11:24:40 am »

Like this. But to solve the drowning issue:

Have one constructed wall at the bottom, so when it deconstructs, water will flow into it, and the top two watertiles just beneath the obsidian cap are only half full. Hopefully.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2010, 11:50:58 am »

Could you use a partial cast floor, that would annihilate some of the water on impact?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2010, 12:04:55 pm »

So:

1) the dwarfs can't dig because the floor is underwater
2) the magma will heat up the water and boil the dwarfs
3) fun!

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2010, 12:59:11 pm »

So, just to make things even more absurd, I was wondering about the "other" natural building material:  Ice.  Unfortunately, game mechanics don't allow the creation of an icy-baby-subby-bumper on the bottom of your sub, but maybe as a ceiling material, it could, I don't know, cause more disaster.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2010, 01:01:57 pm »

So, just to make things even more absurd, I was wondering about the "other" natural building material:  Ice.  Unfortunately, game mechanics don't allow the creation of an icy-baby-subby-bumper on the bottom of your sub, but maybe as a ceiling material, it could, I don't know, cause more disaster.

Actually, a carved ice capsule could have hilarious results.  I've heard that temperature doesn't kick in until a creature stops falling.  If the same is true for objects, then a carved ice sub might hit the bottom, melt, immediately touch magma, and turn to obsidian, without having the chance to cave in.

Deranged Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2010, 01:04:27 pm »

If you filled the interstitial spaces with carved fortifications you might be able to store supplies by dumping them into it.  Perhaps even dwarves could be safely stowed away by pitting them or using water flow to 'push' them into a fortification tile and then dropping a precast lid on top.

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2010, 01:23:08 pm »

Why not just stick them in a cage, connect the cage to a lever somewhere outside the magma, then when it's at the bottom pull the lever? This is assuming mechanisms don't deconstruct when dropped.

Deranged Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2010, 01:26:09 pm »

Not sure what you mean entirely but, unreconstructed cages can't be linked and constructed cages would collapse and kill the dwarf.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2010, 01:29:06 pm »

Not sure what you mean entirely but, unreconstructed cages can't be linked and constructed cages would collapse and kill the dwarf.

Would it kill the dwarf, or just deconstruct the "placed" cage and leave a dwarf in a cage with no way to free him.

Sean0931

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2010, 01:36:43 pm »

I think I can guess why cave-ins hitting the sea disintegrate. It's not the magma, it's the semi molten rock beneath. Toady wanted it to be impenetrable, which means not allowing wily dwarves to drop platinum spears through it. As yet he might not have a mechanism to make it impenetrable to cave-ins.

Has anyone tried caving in through slade?

Deranged Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2010, 01:51:12 pm »

Would it kill the dwarf, or just deconstruct the "placed" cage and leave a dwarf in a cage with no way to free him.
IIRC, it kills the dwarf and you get a message along the lines of "So-and-so has been killed by a collapsing building!"

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2010, 04:09:46 pm »

We'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Seriously, actually making a functioning submarine, even if it had to be full of water, would be such a huge step forward. Dealing with the water becomes relatively trivial. Maybe something with a magic lignite bin sitting in a layer between the magma and the water contents. Might burn just slow enough that you still get the cap, but it takes care of the rest of the water.

Edit: my magma/water testing infrastructure is almost done. I've got ten z-levels of magma and water, and I'm building the casting apparatus. Once it's ready I'll try to upload the save so that other people can muck around with it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18